Expression Pedal Review Thread - please post your reviews here :)

• Dunlop CryBaby (a broken one) ... same feel that a real crybaby :)

Just open it, unsolder jack connector (it is already a stereo jack... so no need to change it) ... 3 wires to solder from the pot to the jack connector ... et voilà !

Just orderer a push-button for foot stomp to replace the original switch (2.5$ on ebay) ... I will use the second jack (output) to bring this control to the kemper as well.

Just open it, unsolder jack connector (it is already a stereo jack... so no need to change it) ... 3 wires to solder from the pot to the jack connector ... et voilà !

Just orderer a push-button for foot stomp to replace the original switch (2.5$ on ebay) ... I will use the second jack (output) to bring this control to the kemper as well.

Interesting... I have a few broken old Crybabies knocking about. Might try this at the weekend.

Cheers,
    Sam

• One cool advantage of having that spring in the FC-7. You can set it so that it is the half-way point on the pedal. So let's say I have a pitch effect, I set the heel pitch to -2 or -4 and the toe pitch to the equivalent positive value. And voila, your pedal dives one way and goes higher the other and it's dead simple to get it back to center so that you can continue the song in proper pitch, thanks to the spring. Of course, it only works if you set equal values for heel pitch and toe pitch, otherwise it doesn't become normal pitch at center.

Any other pedals that have this feature?

• Ahhhh got an itchy trigger finger. Went and ordered Mission's EP1-KP. It was the switch that tipped the balance; I like the idea of switching the wah on and off, just like a regular one. I'm still gonna convert an old Crybaby to make a homemade volume/whammy expression pedal. I'll share my experiences with both as soon as I receive/get around to making them:)

Cheers,
    Sam

• These actually look great. Cheaper than Mission (although without the switch of the dedicated KP version) and can be used as a regular analogue volume pedal, if the situation arises. Neat!

Cheers,
    Sam

hi sam..........the fact that I don't care about the on/off switch is to resemble the morley Vai wah which is, as you know, optical. this way no hassles in turning on/off the wah. with the vox or similar it happened several times that I thought I had the wah on while it wasn't. with the morley this issue was gone........and with the rocktron too since with the kemper you can set the wah off at foot stop....

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• Yeah, that's how I have mine set at the moment, using one of the pedals on the FCB. There are a couple of tracks where I miss the half-open wah sound, plus a part of a song that requires strict wah-on-wah-off juggling, which always feels a bit messy with the auto off function. I'm still keeping the Rocktron in mind, especially if my Crybaby conversion fails. You've been very helpful!

Cheers,
    Sam

• I'm using Morley Bad Horsie over 14-15 years. Couldn't be happier :thumbup: BTW it can be set auto off time from 0 to 7 secs. (if I remember right).

Sound Engineer, Musician, Animal Rights Activist.

Fender '89 Clapton Strat, EMG DG20, KPA, Martin, SSL, Neve, Manley, Tube-Tech, Millennia, API, Lynx, RME, Avid, Apple, Adam...

• Yamaha FC7: Big footprint, heavy, covered/coated with some kind of rugged rubber, feels bulletproof, hardwired TRS cable, HUGE throw that I like for finer control but that some may find uncomfortable, especially if you tend to stand right on top of it.

Thanks , I've got about 5 of these (new leftover from when I owned a music store) I'll have to give them a try. I'm not sure why I never have

Another great idea , i have 2-3 broken crybaby's

• I'm using Morley Bad Horsie over 14-15 years. Couldn't be happier :thumbup: BTW it can be set auto off time from 0 to 7 secs. (if I remember right).

I have the bad horsie 2.....but isn't it a wah pedal only? at least mine is. did you convert it to an expression pedal?

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• Wha into expression pedal ... step by step

http://www.strymon.net/2010/09…our-own-expression-pedal/

saw the tutorial: great and seems easy!

watching the final picture it looks like on/off switch is ignored in the wiring. this gets me to ask: is the expression pedal meant to have an 'ala wah' on/off switch? as far as I know there are no expression pedals with on/off switch. but may be wrong.

maybe some expression pedals have it to resemble a wah pedal but this will mean, for the comapny producing it, to do two kind of pedals.
    I have my doubts since everytime I was looking for an ex pedals I never found a choice for the kind of expression function: the pedals were just one kind.

• saw the tutorial: great and seems easy!

watching the final picture it looks like on/off switch is ignored in the wiring. this gets me to ask: is the expression pedal meant to have an 'ala wah' on/off switch? as far as I know there are no expression pedals with on/off switch. but may be wrong.

Some of the mission control pedals have switches, but you have to get the EP-1, some users have reported issues with their other expression pedals.

• Some of the mission control pedals have switches, but you have to get the EP-1, some users have reported issues with their other expression pedals.

The Mission EP1-KP (Kemper specific) has a switch á la Crybaby/Vox that can be configured to switch whatever you like in the KPA. Makes most sense to use it to switch on the wah, of course. It does however mean you need two cables going from the pedal to the Remote/KPA.

Cheers,
    Sam

• I have the bad horsie 2.....but isn't it a wah pedal only? at least mine is. did you convert it to an expression pedal?

No, no.. I didn't convert it. I tried to mention that I am using an external wah pedal instead of KPA's.

Sound Engineer, Musician, Animal Rights Activist.

Fender '89 Clapton Strat, EMG DG20, KPA, Martin, SSL, Neve, Manley, Tube-Tech, Millennia, API, Lynx, RME, Avid, Apple, Adam...

• ok. true..........but one thing I found on the kemper wah was incomparable with other true wah pedals: the effect mix.

the bad horsie is great but very invasive, as all the wahs.

but sometimes I was in the need to have a wah somewhat less dramatic....let's say on the background a bit. here's were the kpa wah comes into play.