Will Looper sync with Tap tempo?

• I'm curious whether the Looper will be able to sync with the current tap tempo value.

That would be a cool option - I've used a Boomerang for years and have learned that my feet are never perfect trying to loop something that needs to keep in sync w/ the band ; )

• That would be an amazing feature. I am currently on the fence about getting the remote since I have a pretty decent looper in my Strymon Timeline with the same features, which can be controlled via my FCB. Having the KPA looper able to sync to tap tempo would definitely be enough to fully sell me on the remote.

• The Timeline hasn't got a looper listening to tap tempo, but my old Boss RC-20 had one that was great. Simply tap in your tempo and the loop would be perfectly in time :)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

• The Timeline hasn't got a looper listening to tap tempo, but my old Boss RC-20 had one that was great. Simply tap in your tempo and the loop would be perfectly in time :)

Yes, the Boss RC pedals have a lot off cool time sync magic :)

From the RC-50 manual:

Setting the tempo is easy—just tap on the TEMPO pedal a few times at the desired speed, or dial it in with the PATCH/VALUE dial. When playing with the guide, Loop Quantize keeps your phrases in time even if you don’t hit the REC/PLAY/OVERDUB pedal right on the beat.

Tempo Sync—and Loop Sync in Multi mode—locks phrases with the current tempo setting. This is accomplished by some time-stretching magic that changes a phrase’s length without changing its pitch. In addition to its usefulness for syncing phrases together, Tempo Sync also makes a great phrase trainer for learning licks—just record a fast musical passage from a CD or MP3 into a phrase, and then reduce the tempo to hear it in slow motion for easy digestion.

• That is a fantastic idea. I never use loopers because I hate that they are always a LITTLE off. If they sync'ed to tap tempo they'd be much better. Any official word on this?

• Never saw that the Strymon looper listens to the tap tempo. Are you sure? How does it work?

I meant that the Timeline looper has the same features as the KPA looper (from what i've read so far). It's also accessible via MIDI commands. The timeline looper does not sync to tap tempo, but I'm able to have the looper sync to MIDI time code by using Ableton Live. I create clips that send MIDI commands to the Timeline that get triggered in time with the tempo in Ableton. I use one patch on my FCB to trigger clips in Ableton that will be in sync, and I have another patch to trigger the Timeline directly if I don't want to be synced to the tempo. Not the most elegant solution and it is only possible with Ableton, but it does work pretty well. It would be much more ideal if the Kemper could just do it all.

• Never saw that the Strymon looper listens to the tap tempo. Are you sure? How does it work?

Hi Cristopher and thanks for the great new of the Remote Controller!!!

About the synchronization with tap tempo of the looper, I found that the best one in the market is the Digitech Jam Man, I will report here how it works just for a general know-how, since it was a very good addition in looper technology... Maybe in the future one can think about it. Obviously, to really work, it use a Rhythm Guide Track to listen to while you are recording.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Recording a Loop Using Auto Record
    1. Select an empty memory location
    2. Tap the <TEMPO> button a few times at the
    rate you want the phrase tempo to
    be. This will create an auto quantized
    loop. You will begin to hear the
    Rhythm Guide Track. The beats will
    be indicated by a flashing TEMPO
    button LED, flashing red on the first
    downbeat and green on all remaining
    beats of the measure. When using the
    Rhythm Guide Track, time signature
    can be manually set to a different time
    signature other than the default of 4
    beats per measure.
    3. Press the <PEDAL SWITCH> to arm
    recording, indicated by a flashing red
    STATUS LED. Begin playing to start
    recording. Recording will be indicated
    by a solid red STATUS LED.
    4. As soon as you’re done recording,
    press the <PEDAL SWITCH> again to
    stop recording and initiate playback.

• Does this mean you can alter the speed of what you recorded in the looper with the tap tempo?
    Thats great if your drummer isn't thaaaaat rhythm solid :)

; )

probably not. I was just thinking it could line up with tempo for the original loop. i.e. If there is a current tap tempo set, then the first record loop will match up with the closest beat when you first start looping. When no tap tempo set, just freeform loop timing.

• Going back to the Boss RC-20 and it's feature set, one of the most useful I find is the autostart record where it doesn't start recording until it gets a signal. Not many loopers have it and it'd be great if the Kemper did or could consider it in the future?

• One thing is to start the recording of the looper accurately, the other is to stop recording exact to a bar measure.
    The looper from fractal audio FX8 has a lot of options, one of them is trimming.
    I think, this option can cut a loop at bar measure, maybe fill a too short loop with silence to bar end.
    Quantize is also possible, but may be a little difficult.
    Another great feature is to set the length of a loop in beats or bars, before you record, so the recording ends by itself.
    For those features the tap tempo is essential.

• I would also love this. It's essential if you use a lot of rhythmic delay or play along to drum machines, etc. Until my recent downsizing/KPA fundraising I was using a Disaster Area Smartclock to sync my Timeline delay, my Moog Mother 32 and my Boomerang III looper. It locked the loop start/stop to the nearest beat and worked really well. Only started to drift after several minutes.

Now I'm looping with my Ableton Push 2 which also starts/stops on the beat as well as allowing trimming and quantizing. It's the best solution I've found for at home use, especially if you use an external footswitch to start/stop.