Hiding unwanted Rigs?

• Hi!
    Is there an option to hide rigs that i am not interested in, e.g. of the Rig Exchange?
    The Rig Exchange is growing almost every day and there are some really excellent profiles to be found. However there is also a number of rigs that i am sure i will never use.
    I was wondering if there is a way to hide such rigs so that the list shown in my Rig Manager does more reflect the profiles i like.

If no such option exists, i think this would be a nice feature to keep control of a continiously growing list of rigs.

Best,
    Thomas

• copy the content from RE to your local folder and dig through - reject, what you don't like and work with the rest.
    By reject I mean either delete those rigs immediately or move them to a "rejected" folder.
    By that you can completely ignore the RE-folder in your everyday's work. Of course you could still go back there at any time, in case you need something different or suspect something new to be of good use.

I have been working with databases in all kinds of environments and "Hiding" records has never been a very successful concept - unless severe performance issues came into place.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• copy the content from RE to your local folder and dig through - reject, what you don't like and work with the rest.
    By reject I mean either delete those rigs immediately or move them to a "rejected" folder.

Thanks for this!

And doing a sort on Time of upload for the RE table allows me to update the Local Library for any additions since the last copy. Having had my KPA for a week, this sure helps getting a handle on the number of profiles.

I also see that this tip helps eliminate Importing erroneous Profiles from the RE. (150 from the RE gave an error message of an improper profile)

Edited 6 times, last by gwp ().

• I have been working with databases in all kinds of environments and "Hiding" records has never been a very successful concept - unless severe performance issues came into place.

I don't understand this. To me it is certainly more preferrable to hide something out of a database and not to have to delete something.?

• I'm here :)

Over the years I have learned that hiding data sets will lead to wrong impressions and a lot of "support requests" by less experienced and less aware users.

I understand that nobody needs all rigs of RE in one table all the time. That's why I would like an improved search and a feature that would allow us to save a search - it would be then carried out automatically, whenever you click on it (this is called a view and a quite common technique) - like "all rigs where upload date > 01.01.15" or where cab name like %V30% or whatever.

The whole idea and the power of a database is that you can search for almost anything at any point in time - ideally you get a fast reply with a meaningful result set.

Hiding just for you means - you have to save an extra value locally and check this flag every time you connect to the RE. This will increase the execution time and it will also complicate matters in terms of how to handle update of rigs on the RE for Kemper. It will not make dealing with the RE faster technically - it will make it slower and more fragile even though you don't physically see why.

Then you have to ask yourself how do you want to "recover" rigs you decided to hide, in case you change your opinion. You cannot unhide a rig with a click - it's not there anymore. You need an extra functionality for that - very inefficient. Imagine the RE will grow to 25.000. Why would you want to exclude a few from showing up.

And if you wanted to hide 24.800 every time you connect to the RE, then why not keep a local copy of those 200 - like your personal database - and work with them. Every time you get the feeling you miss one - connect to the global source, search for it and add it to your local stash.

It is a shift in thinking - like using performance mode! "Give it a chance" - like you always say! ;)

My experience from real life is that people will also forget that they "excluded" certain records and would soon start complaining about stuff like - I can't find this ac20 rig on the RE and will have completely forgotten about the fact that they had excluded it at some point. This would happen for sure!

You won't believe how many times my trained assistants forgot that they had actually "retired" a former client. Esp. when he/she called a few years later and they didn't know him personally.

Just my thoughts, but based on my experience.
    Call me after work if you want to discuss more details. ;)

H

• Well, the way I was thinking of it was simply a sort of extended search tool where you can save your personal filters. For example "hide all the profiles by Kemper", "hide all the Fender amps" "hide whatever has a Marshall cab", "hide what's been posted in 2014", "hide all the DI profiles".

Hard to think this would lead to an explosion of support requests for me, since you set your filters yourself. And you can always uncheck "Apply filters" :)

OTOH, after three years still people write here to say they can't find their presets on the machine... and it's us users who take the main support burden for this "low level" issues, since most customers open a support ticket only after having asked for help here and only because Ingolf advises them to do so :D

:)

• That was thorough and I think I got your perspective. I thank you. ;)

• @viabcroce
    The idea of a few pre-defined filters that you can toggle on/off (checkboxes) is the kind of compromise that makes sense and is good to handle and easy to explain/understand.

I might have taken your request to hide rigs literally and a bit too far by drawing from my experience in other areas.

I can imagine filters for instrument, newer/older than "date", profile type, gain <=> value.

And yes - it appears that a few of you guys have become the "pre support line" around here recently. I admire the willingness to help and sharing the knowledge, but I can't help the feeling that esp. the new guys could "rtfm" or "use the search" a bit more often.

• Since the RE contents can be sorted by date using RM, I find that it's simple to find those I haven't reviewed yet. They can be previewed directly from RE, so no need to copy them into local storage unless I want them. I see no advantage to copying the entire RE and going through it. That's what RM is for!

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer