MAB Advanced Reverb Release 3 + 4 - Rigs

• meambobbo, Thanks for the hard work and sharing spirit on these. There is also a tap MarkII R2 I left out of the list above. I was trying to thin down the categories, but found it difficult to distinguish which ones I'd rather keep. BUT, it would certainly improve things if there were perhaps a max three versions of each category. For example, I found the w3 extremely useful, but w1 and w2 aren't my cup of tea--this highlights that someone else could really use the more "synth" nature of w1 and 2, so it would be a shame to only have one version of "w", but there are major differences in all three. WRT the Blooms, i can't distinguish with ease.

I haven't really had a chance to apply those tap rigs rhythmically, but given your knack for making some great sounding reverb/delay combinations, it would be awesome if you also crafted some tap delay rigs that are based on some specifically great popular songs, ala pink floyd "run" or u2 "pride" etc...I've been thinking about what are the possibilities of taking something that is ambient with less defined delay repeats and running that in parralel with heavily defined delay repeats in the effects loop using my G-Force. I haven't had a chance to experiment with any of it yet.

• Micah, I completely agree. That will be my focus. I'll do a shoot-out for any that sound similar and only keep the best one of those and reserve the 3 variations for each type to be much more varied sounding. I'll probably do 2 different set time delays, then 1 tap delay.

A lot of these sound impossibly similar in open air; however, I usually dial them in using headphones where the differences stick out more.

One question I have for the community is in regards to brightness/darkness. Should I just take a middle-of-the-road approach here (which is mostly what I was already doing) and leave it to the end users to tweak this (which is best done by using the Reverb's bandwidth/frequency controls), or should that be part of the variations?

• Meambobbo these are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I actually own a BigSky and while it has alot more flexibility I had no idea the Kemper could get even remotely close. Just an excellent job my friend. I really love the bloom and the shimmer presets. Seriously wondering now if I can just use these and get rid of the BigSky. I play in a worship band so I have to have these big ethereal sounds. These just might fit the bill. Hats off to you for taking the time to make these. They sound great with the Morgan AC20 with the gain backed down. Love it!

• FYI, I deleted a bunch from the RE, but haven't removed them from the zip/files on my site. I actually found some good settings for a very spring-like sound. so the next pack will be further filtered and tweaked and have chorus/trem instead of micro pitch and random nonsense.

• Meambobbo these are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I actually own a BigSky and while it has alot more flexibility I had no idea the Kemper could get even remotely close. Just an excellent job my friend. I really love the bloom and the shimmer presets. Seriously wondering now if I can just use these and get rid of the BigSky. I play in a worship band so I have to have these big ethereal sounds. These just might fit the bill. Hats off to you for taking the time to make these. They sound great with the Morgan AC20 with the gain backed down. Love it!

THIS...... If things get any better with 3.0 it's going to be hard to justify keeping my existing strymon and other pedals

• Spring reverb presets and rigs are up. Search "MAB N" on the Rig Exchange. Presets are named "MAB Spr".

Let me know what you think.

Thank you very much for your time spent making these. They sound absolutely great to me! I read the readme about version status on the Rigs but could you tell me are GRS FSR 06 MAB N1 through N7 the same just tweaked a little different? And under those spring reverb rigs what does the N-, N+, and N& stand for? Sorry if I didn't catch that in the readme. Thanks again!!!!

• Thank you very much for your time spent making these. They sound absolutely great to me! I read the readme about version status on the Rigs but could you tell me are GRS FSR 06 MAB N1 through N7 the same just tweaked a little different? And under those spring reverb rigs what does the N-, N+, and N& stand for? Sorry if I didn't catch that in the readme. Thanks again!!!!

Unfortunately, most of this stuff is pretty stream of thought. I identify some aspect of the reverb tone I'm going for (bloom, particle, spring, etc.), and I make a preset. That's gonna be "1". I keep whatever the defining aspect is constant. For the blooms, that's the high-feedback brightening delay. For the shimmers, it was a medium time, high-feedback delay with a lower "wash" to the delay trails. For the springs, I found the key aspect was similar to the shimmers - to leave the reverb mix down a bit from the usual 100% wet, so the delay trails aren't completely washed, but to keep the delay feedback fairly low and use a good bit of modulation.

Then I tweak it a bit until I'm happy and save that - that's "2". For these springs, I played with times and modulation to get most of the variety, but since the reverb and delay mixes aren't easily tweaked (it's a big balancing act), I used a couple different varieties there as well. As I tweak, anytime I find a good setting, I save it.

If I run out of numbers (>9), instead of using "10" or "11", I instead start using the special characters as they are ordered in the KPA. This is actually a bad approach - it's confusing, plus it can run into filename issues when converting to .kipr files. Too late now!

Once I've finished getting what I think are a good number of "killer" tones, I go back through them all and delete the ones I no longer feel are worth sharing. In this case that was ALL of the numbers, except 7. (I've actually deleted 7 since I shared them.) Numbers 1-4 were actually illegal file system characters like "/" and "\" or less noticeable ones like ".", so I renamed them to 1-4 (since I already had deleted those). I should have done the same with the others, but I was tired ;)

You'll notice that 1 and 2 are exactly the same, except 2 uses way more modulation (which actually makes it less noticeable strangely). 3 and 4 work the same way, and they are different from 1 and 2 by being much wetter. I believe I made all 4 of those because I noticed one of my other favorites (I think it was "$" or "&") didn't have a long enough decay. 7 is a very wet tone, but the delay modulation is way too noticeable, so I've deleted it on my unit. + is another quite wet one.

If there are any that seem quite redundant or not as good as the others, let me know. The next phase of this project is to remove the crappy ones. I've already started doing that for the Rig Exchange rigs, but haven't gotten to the effects/rigs hosted on my site.

I also have about 4 "wash" presets (separating these from the effects-laden "Swell" presets). I'll release these probably later in the week.

• My question is, "Do they actually sound like a spring reverb?" Honestly, I did not use a reference but went from memory when i had a Mesa Quad preamp with spring reverb. My main method of testing was simply to tap on the strings or do a muted strum.

• I haven't A/B to my Mark V but let me tell you, all that matters is it sounds good to me and I use it. Just shut everything down after about 2 hours of Gary Moore style backing tracks. Nice!

• thanks again for your works MB. It's always a pleasure to test the result of your experiments.

I did a quick run on the strat and they are definitelly in the right directions, springs have an echo component like these rigs. I must say I prefer a dryier type of verb much shorter ,in order to keep some punch from a crunch tone 'surf music'.

check this one example from Danny Gatton :

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is there a way to reduce the amont of verb without affecting the whole Del/verb balance ?

• I think the "-" one is pretty short. I'd try reducing reverb time, maybe delay feedback as well. The delay mix drives a lot of the verb, so going too low is going to kill both some of the echo as well as the verb. Messing with the del/rev balance is going to make the delay more echo like instead of springy. Same thing with reducing reverb mix. Godspeed and if you nail it, let me know and ill add it to the pack.