Have amps, will profile the SB50: Lets make some profiles...

• Yeah lots of different tones out of this great box ! I had fun with the tweaks , thx Tim :)

here is my take on the amp , only one profile SB01G10 BL P5B6M8T6, with lots of tweaks and gain adj.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

REALLY dig the last 2 portions! Nice sounds.

• I've checked all 3 phases with Channel1 and there are some very good base tones there indeed! Also the EL84 had supricingly big effect resulting some nice voxy chimy tones although I concentrated on the EL34 tones mainly. I tested the EQ preferences with three somewhat equally gained, but somewhat differently EQ'd, profiles using different types of guitars (LP, Strat with SCs, Strat with HBs, 335, Tele and SG). Clips can be found from here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fe4…NGH2Ks--u8qNaFN6sR1a?dl=0

I seem to like the Bright Switch on LEFT for the less gainier settings (G1-5) as it is the milder of the two caps settings. Then the brighter BR works on higher gain settings (G5-8) as the amps overall voicing gets darker with the gain turned up. Until the end the switch doesn't seem to have an effect so doesn't make difference where it is at when the gain is full. Just like it then OFF when full, because of the "less components in the signal path" feeling if nothing more. ;)

Overall, the plexi channel feels great. The things great with this are:

• Dynamics- headroom both in pre- and poweramp sides of circuit
    • Boldness - that trademark raunchy midrange
    • Transparency - big portion of the guitars character, pics, style etc. gets through
    • Great pedal platform - circuit simplicity with few enough gain stages and good overall tonality

Now, what I'd like to try more next is that trademark fat midrange boldness. And also would like to try getting some sweet spot profiles for those different types of guitars. In the end most usable profile would be one with a moderate gain in it to do some classic rock. Then get clean(ish) sounds with turning guitar's volume knob or alternatively gainier lead tones with boosting a pedal of some sort.

So here's the CH1 settings that I would be more than happy to try out:
    G05 BL P7 B6 M10 T7 - clean(ish) strat
    G06 BL P8 B4 M10 T7
    - clean(ish) strat
    G07 BR P7 B4 M10 T7
    - on the edge of breakup tele
    G09 BR P6 B5 M10 T6 - classic rock, LP
    G10 BM P5 B5 M10 T6 - classic rock, LP
    G10 BM P6 B4 M10 T7 - classic rock, super strat
    G10 BM P10 B10 M10 T10 - "the brown sound"

Edited once, last by JuLai ().

• Yeah lots of different tones out of this great box ! I had fun with the tweaks , thx Tim :)

here is my take on the amp , only one profile SB01G10 BL P5B6M8T6, with lots of tweaks and gain adj.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

....... great sounds waraba, question, I really like the red color on the KPA cab, is it painted or something else ? & did you do it , or have it done ? thanks , roger

• Thanks for the clips, the replies and the profiling requests everyone. I've been a bit under the weather for the last 5 days so my schedule is all messed up, but no worries, I look forward to trying the requested profiles just as soon as I can :)

• The SB3 profiles have been updated.

I added the following profiles, the object was to duplicate the EL34 gain levels (according to the KPA gain LED's) with the EL84's, in other words, I wanted to hear what the EL84's sounded like compared to the EL34's without pushing the EL84's so hard that they were adding distortion. By turning the master volume down to 1.5 (compared to 3) the gain levels seemed pretty darn close.

The new profiles are:
    SB3 CH2 G4 EL84 MV1.5 (SB Channel-2, Gain=4, EL84 output tubes)
    SB3 CH2 G7 EL84 MV1.5 (SB Channel-2, Gain=7, EL84 output tubes)
    SB3 CH1 G2 EL84 MV1.5 (SB Channel-1, Gain=2, EL84 output tubes)
    SB3 CH1 G4 EL84 MV1.5 (SB Channel-1, Gain=4, EL84 output tubes)
    SB3 CH1 G6 EL84 MV1.5 (SB Channel-1, Gain=6, EL84 output tubes)
    SB3 CH1 G8 EL84 MV1.5 (SB Channel-1, Gain=8, EL84 output tubes)

These and all of the other session-3 profiles can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/82h…gqWLU61mPZRmuDpRMnOa?dl=0

• The SB4 profiles are up.

In this session we are making profiles according to JuLai's request which is as follows:

G05 BL P7 B6 M10 T7 - clean(ish) strat
    G06 BL P8 B4 M10 T7 - clean(ish) strat
    G07 BR P7 B4 M10 T7 - on the edge of breakup tele
    G09 BR P6 B5 M10 T6 - classic rock, LP
    G10 BM P5 B5 M10 T6 - classic rock, LP
    G10 BM P6 B4 M10 T7 - classic rock, super strat
    G10 BM P10 B10 M10 T10 - "the brown sound"

But I wasn't sure what to do with the master volume, so I used the same master volume setting of 3 as in the last session, but I did add one more profile with the master volume at 10, this is the last request called "the brown sound" except everything is dimed, please see the readme.txt file for more info :)

The profiles can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1zn…699e9E1g1HUlyjN-nzQa?dl=0

• Made some clips with SB4 the profiles. I'm digging these to say the least :thumbup: ,but there's some room for improvements still. Overall I found some of the profiles rather bright when tested playing louder live, but when tracked they sound fine. Seems this is just the trickiest part i.e. how to find sweet spots that would work in both scenarios (with minimal modifications) like achieved by one well known commercial profile vendor. :)

Secondly, my current feeling is that the cleanier sounds would benefit from more woodier bass and softer highend what the V30 have. Some 'greenpacks' could make the cleaner tones also little softer with its smaller magnets. I'm thinking that for this the Scumback M75s could be just perfect! So would be nice to try that one in some point also. For example when you plan to make some profiles also for other HAWP projects make some for this one as well or alternatively make some merged profiles using SB50 DI + cabinet from somewhere else.

Next I'll plan to play all these profiles some more 'out loud' with gigging volume to get better feeling of the overall balance and maybe come up with some suggestions for additional trials. Until that just: :thumbup:

Here are the clips, do comment how you find the tones (the playing itself is secondary and irrelevant issue ;) )

Playlist: https://soundcloud.com/jjuki/sets/hawp-friedman-sb50-phase4

Individual tracks:

• Made some clips with SB4 the profiles...

I really like these, you are getting so much more tone out of the raw profiles then I was when I tested them. Can you tell me about the P4 G07 EBMM & Fuzz "FUZZ..ZZ..ZZ", was that an external fuzz or an internal stomp in the KPA?

Also, I did do an A/B comparison of the V30's and the Scumback M75's tonight, but I was short on time so I only did it with the Splawn QR. Next time I'll try it with the SB50. If there are a particular set of settings that you would like to try while comparing the two speakers let me know.

• Can you tell me about the P4 G07 EBMM & Fuzz "FUZZ..ZZ..ZZ", was that an external fuzz or an internal stomp in the KPA?Also, I did do an A/B comparison of the V30's and the Scumback M75's tonight, but I was short on time so I only did it with the Splawn QR. Next time I'll try it with the SB50. If there are a particular set of settings that you would like to try while comparing the two speakers let me know.

It was external fuzz. I have quite many fuzz pedals, but happened to just get this Crazy Tube Circuits Starlight Fuzz the same day I made the clips so gave it a go out-of-the-box. :)

Regarding plans using Scumbacks, sounds great! I will be playing the first 4 patches more in the coming days, but if you make some SB50 Scumback profiles for sure would like to A/B atleast the 'milder' profiles from the SB4:
    G05 BL P7 B6 M10 T7
    G07 BR P7 B4 M10 T7
    G09 BR P6 B5 M10 T6

• Tim, many thanks also for this set of profiles.. I have scrolled through them quickly and signed those I like the most..(10 profiles) I have also reamped with these SB50 profiles one audio clip I made with M/A audio test profiles.. now used only the stack section.. no reverb, no delay, nothing added, only your untouched profiles.. if anybody interested here you can listen to it.. and also compare to that other clip where reverb was used if I remember well.. I prefer much more this SB50 sound..

I cannot help myself.. but KPA is the only gear where I often do have no need to switch on any reverb or delay and love the sound as raw as it is.. contrary, I often switch off reverb and delay if engaged.. :)

hey :) that sounds really nice... is that profile on the RE or only via the kemper website

thanks

steve

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• Hi Stevoe, these profiles you can find in this thread but not on the RE.. if I remember well I used for cleans 2 of these profiles )2 tracks 1 panned L and another R): SB01 G02 BL P5B6M8T6 or SB01 G02 BR P5B6M8T6 or SB01 G02 BR P7B6M8T8 or SB01 G04 BR P7B6M8T8 (I am not sure which 2 of these 4 I used) and for the lead SB01 G10 BM P5B6M8T6

:)

• I just noticed the dropbox link with the sound clips of different guitars, that was really cool, thanks so much for sharing that. Does anyone else think that the KPA responds to different guitars/pickups just like a real amp does? I'm no expert but I think it's pretty darn close. Dang, I've been thinking of picking up an SG for a few years now, now I want one even more :)

• It was external fuzz. I have quite many fuzz pedals, but happened to just get this Crazy Tube Circuits Starlight Fuzz the same day I made the clips so gave it a go out-of-the-box. :)

Regarding plans using Scumbacks, sounds great! I will be playing the first 4 patches more in the coming days, but if you make some SB50 Scumback profiles for sure would like to A/B atleast the 'milder' profiles from the SB4:
    G05 BL P7 B6 M10 T7
    G07 BR P7 B4 M10 T7
    G09 BR P6 B5 M10 T6

Friedman SB50 session-5 profiles are up.
    Here are your requested profiles :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nsm…qM7y8Z5tUizw6LbHJMia?dl=0

• Had some forced break from profile testing activities, but got back to these yesterday while trying out FW3.0 beta.

I'm digging the 4x12 Scumback profiles VERY much for the cleaner stuff, makes a big difference warming up the low end and giving some juiciness in the middle freqs, just like someone else commented in some other HAWP thread. Going to crank these tomorrow and compare some more, but seems great.

It would be probably useful from efficiency point of view to get some merged profiles from all of the cabinets to be able to mix and match the cabinets between different HAWP amps.

New FW3.0 cabinet separation seems rather nice as I was trying out those Kemper's Merged Rig Pack and Till's free cabinets with some HAWP DI (BE100) profiles.

From all my experience with KPA, I've come to prefer the Ribbon+Dynamic what comes to cabinet mic'ing. Condencer is no means bad, but just has radically different character and nature to it; much more immediate, accurate and in your faze tone and break-up which suites in some places better, but less often with guitar applications for me. Too bad that there isn't any ribbon available to try out within these HAWP sessions, but for sure there will some great cabinet impulses available in some point now that such make sense with FW3.0. Fun times ahead!! :thumbup:

Edited once, last by JuLai ().

• bump:

Added these to the URL for a single-spot hosting:
    http://foobazaar.com/kemper/HAWP/
    http://foobazaar.com/kemper/HAWP/HAWP.zip

I separated the pics out of the zip above, so the downloads are smaller. The pics are still available here:
    http://foobazaar.com/kemper/HAWP/pics/
    http://foobazaar.com/kemper/HAWP/pics.zip

• Does anyone know where I can find these profiles? Thanks.

Rik

Kemper toaster >Kemper remote> 2 x Alto TS310 powered speakers Furman M-8XAR