Have amps, will profile the Quick Rod: Lets make some profiles...

• QR2 P3 T3 SM0 AT-5 (QuickRod, Pres=3:00, Treb=3:00, SM57 0.0" from dome edge, AT mic -5 treble)

This one is by far my favorite. I couldn't get any of the others to sound this good. Something magic going on here, and it's not just the additional high freqs - everything seems to have bite, but the bite isn't harsh. I tried raising treble and/or presence on some others, but it never hit the sweet spot like this one did.

• My settings (feel free to give them a go):

pres: 10:00 (4)
    bass: 7:30 (2.5)
    mid: 1:00 (6)
    treb: 2:30 (7)
    gain: 1:00 (6)
    gear: 2
    od: 2

i put these at the "o'clock settings. Added the 1-10 type setting if that makes more sense.

Edited 3 times, last by JerEvil ().

• ok, so trying in headphones now... I def like the 57 0.0 AT -5 the best still, but I think the P1 T1 variant works a bit better than P3 T3.

The AT 0 profiles sound darker than the AT -5. Maybe there's a comb filter going on? Have you tried messing with latency on each track? Can you do so in mixer?

I locked the cab from phase 2 and went back through phase 1 (and read the readme). Made more sense now. Once compensated for gain, it seems like Gear 1 is much more dynamic than Gear 3 which is very compressed and a bit darker than Gear 1. Gear 2 sounded like no man's land - too compressed and no bite. OD2 seems a bit more djenty and modern sounding than OD1. I'm preferring in this order:

• Gain 3, Gear 1, OD2
    • Gain 3, Gear 1, OD1
    • Gain 12, Gear 3, OD1

That order might change depending on the application (rhythm, lead, style of music), but I'd use those over all other options.

• Ok, please forgive me if I come off sounding like a total jerk here. I am not trying to be. I wanna clarify how and why you guys feel like certain profiles are "too dark". JerEvil, I am using you as an example, but not trying to single you out. You post on TGP and you have posted clips, so its easier to use you as a reference. Jerevil has recorded some great clips and the tones are really great for those songs, but they also fit into a specific "80's" metal or hairband type sound. Which I can totally appreciate. Very mid forward, very tight low end and on the brighter side in my opinion. From the clips he posted of Dio and Mercyful fate, the tone sits perfectly in the mix. My question is, are you guys saying these profiles are too dark based on only recording or for live gigs as well. I have recorded 2 cd's in professional recording studios and I know that when I set my amp tones to record, we always set them brighter, with less bass than I would have my amp for live gigs. Based on gigging my Kemper at 4 gigs now, I have a general idea of how the profiles I use translate from hearing at home to live through the mains. So looking at the Quickrod profiles from batch 1, I think the very first profile is a great sounding profile that will work great through the mains. It actually leans more towards the too bright then too dark for live gigs from my experience. So I guess my question would be, are you guys saying these profiles are too dark for gigging, recorded or both.

• Ok, please forgive me if I come off sounding like a total jerk here. I am not trying to be. I wanna clarify how and why you guys feel like certain profiles are "too dark". JerEvil, I am using you as an example, but not trying to single you out. You post on TGP and you have posted clips, so its easier to use you as a reference. Jerevil has recorded some great clips and the tones are really great for those songs, but they also fit into a specific "80's" metal or hairband type sound. Which I can totally appreciate. Very mid forward, very tight low end and on the brighter side in my opinion. From the clips he posted of Dio and Mercyful fate, the tone sits perfectly in the mix. My question is, are you guys saying these profiles are too dark based on only recording or for live gigs as well. I have recorded 2 cd's in professional recording studios and I know that when I set my amp tones to record, we always set them brighter, with less bass than I would have my amp for live gigs. Based on gigging my Kemper at 4 gigs now, I have a general idea of how the profiles I use translate from hearing at home to live through the mains. So looking at the Quickrod profiles from batch 1, I think the very first profile is a great sounding profile that will work great through the mains. It actually leans more towards the too bright then too dark for live gigs from my experience. So I guess my question would be, are you guys saying these profiles are too dark for gigging, recorded or both.

I make the comment based on my Quick Rod. If you notice, I didn't say any of Tim's Brown Eye profiles were too dark. The TAF profiles I have tried are very hit or miss for my needs I have 2 years exclusive first hand knowledge of the Quick Rod. I know how the amp operates and how it sounds dialed in for everything from Tom Petty to In Flames. I was also very complementary of his Small Box profiles. I think Tim has a great ear for rock tones. Where my complaint came from about many of the commercial profiles I've tried, like the MBritt PT100, is it needed heavy additional EQ to not sound like it was in a tin can.i definitely have a certain sound I like and make no bones about it BUT I bought the Kemper for versatility. It's inevitable to have some profiles not work out.

i plan on using Tims Brown Eye profiles for live use. They sound equally as good with my power amp and Splaw 2x12 and needed no additional tweaking. The only thing I did do was engage the boost in the "X" button spot. Hope I don't sound jerky!

i am working on Urge Overkill' "Sister Havana" with some Mesa Rectoverb profiles a buddy sent me to test. My thing is, I try to do my clips with zero to little tweaking of the profiles to show how well they sit in a mix "as is". I have been doing this because when I have bought profiles based off retailers clips, I've been very unsatisfied. So far the closest I've gotten to the clips that made me purchase are the TopJimi Marshalls, V/Rad Studios JCm 800 and the xRay Diezel.

anyway, I love what Tim is doing and I've certainly bragged on this project on Rig-Talk, GuitarAmpBoard and TGP.

• Nice job Tim,

I found nudging the mids and presence, then dropping the bass a little and the first batch sounded killer Tim!

It seemed that by bumping the treble on round two removed some of the "smooth"" from the first batch.....couldn't really dial out the Treble as much.

I usually back off the guitar volume a hair on my Splawn to get a little more old school crunch..... removing a little gain made them very usable to me.

Grain of salt - play back was through a real cab.

Edited once, last by flcmcya ().

• You hit on a crucial point here. You have to have experience with the amp from both the profiler perspective as well as the user perspective. In your case (and mine) I've spent roughly 8 years with the Splawn Quickrod and rough 30 years with 2203's. I literally know these two amps inside and out. So when I hear a profile, I expect it to sound like the amp...un-doctored, un-processed... i.e. raw. This is the whole reason why I started profiling amps. Very few of the amp profiles I heard when I initially got the Kemper accurately represented the profiled amplifier to me. I admit, I haven't tried every profile and I gravitated to amps I have a good deal of experience with. However, out of those I felt few if any truly sounded like the source amp. Now why the hell would I want a raw profile? Well because I don't want someone adding filtering and running outboard gear since my application can be completely different from what the individual profiler had in mind. Having a raw profile allows me to mix it and apply it to my projects without having to shoe-horn them in due to someone else's interpretation. Anyway... that's my 2 cents. :D

Also, I totally appreciate what guys on the Rig Exchange are doing. I think it's what makes the Kemper the awesome piece of gear that it is.

• I played around with the round 1 profiles with a Screamer in front this morning. Quite awesome - the amp takes the boost very well. I usually find the Screamer is like 10% away from how I want a boost to sculpt the distortion. Either too bright and squeaky or too midsy with a droning quality to it. Here I was expecting it to get squeaky since the amp is already kinda djenty, but it did no such thing. The low end actually fares quite nicely - still thick and chunky but even tighter.

OMG TEH BROOTZ

• Lots of great replies so far. I really look forward to trying the suggestions just as soon as I can. But my schedule has been way out of whack since getting the flu, but just as soon as I can I'll be back on top of this project so please hang in there. Thanks all !!!

• QR3 profiles are up.

In the first session the profiles seemed a bit dark to some people including myself. In the second session I tried to raise the presence, raise the treble and move the SM57 to the dome edge of the speaker, these things didn't seem to work very well, so back to square one.

JerEvil suggested lowing the bass so we'll try that. He also gave us his personal settings for his QR so we'll try that too.

flcya said that he liked the first profiles but was nudging the mids and presence and lowing the bass. I was a bit short on time so I thought we would just use the settings from the first session and lower the bass. Please give these a go and if you still want to nudge the presence and mids we'll do that for the next session.

The profiles can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7ou…iV04d24Zl3UqbK5J7v5a?dl=0

• These are sounding much better. I think it reinforces how i felt about the gears. 1 has the most dynamics and clarity and is my fave, 2 is a bit dark and rough and basically useless for me, and 3 is compressed but aggressive and thick.

I also like the jerevil settings, but i think overall i prefer the others.

Great work.

• Tried round three...... found some of them to be a little cleaner and showing the base amp characteristics to a tee ..........which allowed for more amp like tweaking on the settings!

Might like set three the best! 8o

Awesome stuff Tim.

I'm setting up my Monitors today to validate what I'm hearing in my cab and headphones is correct.

I'll throw up a couple Komets once I get everything set up.

• Right on man! I will grab these for sure. Don't know how I missed this post! LOL!

• I sent you a few of my first profiles Tim..... a little payback! :thumbup:

A couple Carol Anns and some Komet Concorde......tweak some settings and let her rip.

I sent them to Jer as well ....looking for some feedback as I didn't use a mic. ;)