Have amps, will profile the Dirty Shirley: Lets make some profiles...

• In this episode we will profile the Friedman Dirty Shirley.
    This is one of those special amps, it's a single channel amp with a high and low input, and that's about it, but it has some really nice classic rock and blues tones.

I made a few profiles at various gain settings with each of the inputs. To be honest, when I tried these profiles they didn't seem to capture the magic of the amp, so I might need some help refining these. I used the same cab and mics as what we left off with on the BE100 project, maybe this isn't the right cab for this amp? I normally use an Avatar Vintage 112 cab loaded with a Scumback M75 with this amp, maybe we should try that, I'm open to suggestions.

Anyway, please check out the profiles and let me know if you want to try any different amp settings, speakers, mics or whatever.

The profiles can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m5f…9vxkM_4p4OBgCSH0_Kha?dl=0

• you may be right about the cab...try the avatar if possible.. or another mic-combo... the profiles sound good but they don't sound amazing like we've come to expect from you ;) .. just my opinion of course, based on my gear...anyway thanx for doing this :thumbup:

• Great stuff again Tim, will be sure to check this out as well as the smallbox profiles, as I would love a personal profile of each.

Not sure when I'll get time to try any of these as I'm moving house this week so lots to do!

I'll stay a lot more in the background on these two though as you got the exact tone I was after with the BE-100 for my live setup. Just one profile and a direct profile of each amp would be enough for me if you had time towards the end of the phases you work through as I'll know roughly from the different profiles by then what I would like to hear. Time for others to get some perfect profiles for their tastes other than me haha.

• One thing I was curious about during all of this is you clearly have a great skill at profiling. As I said before the direct profiles for the BE-100 you did for me are literally the best tone I've ever had. How do you go about your refining process? Anything special or out of the norm or just a standard 20 seconds or so of hard strumming of chords? It seems that whatever you are doing works perfect so I was curious?

• One thing I was curious about during all of this is you clearly have a great skill at profiling. As I said before the direct profiles for the BE-100 you did for me are literally the best tone I've ever had. How do you go about your refining process? Anything special or out of the norm or just a standard 20 seconds or so of hard strumming of chords? It seems that whatever you are doing works perfect so I was curious?

I always us the same riff for refining. I settled on a 30 second riff that includes open chords and single notes that tend to cover the whole range of the guitar. Part of that includes some low open E stuff that tends to capture the low end pretty good.

• I dunno - I really like these! I find the High input has more charm to it - really finds that bright Plexi sound, although the Low input sounds a bit fatter and bluesier for single coils when you use the higher gain profiles. I like both inputs. The amp cleans up pretty much completely by using dynamics and lowering the guitar volume - pretty much makes the low gain profiles unnecessary IMO.

I'm rather anxious to see what an alternate cab sounds like here, so I think that's a good next step. Otherwise, not sure what to improve - maybe try one with a tad lower mids and more presence to get that straight nasty distortion. I don't think it'd be better than what you've dialed in, but perhaps just a touch of something different. Also, you could go the other way and maybe do like Bass 7 Mids 5 Treb 4 Pres 4 to get a dark purring kind of tone. (I'm assuming the EQ will affect the distortion tone, not just the frequency response).

• Initial impression is I like the low input profiles better. The surprising thing about this amp is how chimey it is. I have played one in person, very briefly , and don't remember hearing so much chime. Can't wait for when you actually capture the magic. ;)

• You know what's funny? Of all the amps in the "Have Amps Will Profile" projects this is the simplest amp of them all, it only has one channel with two inputs. And yet I get the impression that it will take the most work to realize the amps full potential. That being said, I'm going to put this one on the back burner for now and concentrate on the SB50 and QuickRod, only because I think that we will get better profiles with those amps quicker. As suggested, I think that we might want to look at different speaker/cab combinations with this amp, I wish I had the Friedman speaker cab designed for this amp but I don't, but I suspect that with a little work we can come up with a suitable substitute but that will mean trying different speakers in different cabs which will take more time so if it's okay we'll concentrate on the other amps first and then come back to this one when we can dedicate more time to it.

• Ok, these are GREAT!!! For some reason, with most of the profiles, where they all sound good, hitting the "Boost" in the X spot and either one of the Dist pedals and the profiles just SMOKE! Like wedewer, I am really enjoying the low input profiles. I may have missed it but do you have a donation link? I will be getting paid handsomely using your profiles live and it almost feels naughty!

• Ok so I LOVE these profiles! Here is a test using the High and Low inputs.

Used my Mammoth Cutom Les Paul and Ibanez BTB bass

First clip is:
    HO1 DS Low-4 on left/right tracks
    HO1 DS Low-7 on center track with "Boost & Dist in the B slot"

Second clip is:
    HO1 DS High-4 on left/right tracks
    HO1 DS High-7 on center track with "Boost & Dist in the B slot"

Then just some incessant noodling on the DS High-7 profile with verb/delay and I switch the Dist in slot B back on

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Dammit Jer! That sounds AMAZING!

What's the pickup in your Mammoth?

• yepp, your clips...I play a gibson LP myself so hopefully it won't differ too much soundwise....did you tweak the profiles?

No tweaking really. I just turned on the Boost in the "X: button spot and turned the Distortion in the "B" spot off/on depending. Outside of that, they are straight out of the box, as it were.