Got my Kemper AT LAST :) ........... this thing is just REDONKULOUS ...... seriously it really IS !!!!!

• Here she is:-

[Blocked Image: http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p482/gtrotunno/Kemper_zpsew00x0u8.jpg]

Kemper running into Matrix VB800 EFX Return into Real 2 x 12 Closed Back [ Alnico + Ceramic ] Cab

Cab's all switched off

I quite literally did not expect what I am hearing - am only scrolling through stock factory full-rig-sounds-profiles. I am speechless in terms of its sound through my own cab - and these aren't even direct profiles .... I'm just disabling the cabs and letting the Kemper "guess" where the cab isn't !!! ...... no need for an FRFR either :)

My apologies to everyone about my carrying on about FRFR cabs when I didn't even have my KPA .. sorry !!

My guitar is a PRS with P90's

The best part so far, I scrolled through and found a "Reinhardt Crunch " rig - turned off all the efx - turned the cab off - ever-so-slightly increased the gain - slightly increased the treble - slightly increased the presence - slightly de-creased the bass - in no more than 5 seconds - I have my crunch sound - no joking - it was that quck and easy - sound wise its a mix of the cranked EF86 side of a DC30 and a cranked Marshall ...... P90's don't hurt either .... :)

I loaded and am running 2.8 "Experimental" .

One quick question please:-

-> when I let a sound ring-out - say an open G chord - with any sound clean or dirty - as it rings out and fades out, there is an audible low-end-rumble-crackle - like a gate is trying to open/close the declining signal ..... even with the Noise Gate turned fully off ........??

I gather there is something obvious I have missed ?

Ben

Edited 2 times, last by benifin ().

• Hi raoul23.

It came with 2.7.4 and I updated to 2.8 before iplugged it in ..... so I don't know if its a 2.8 issue and/or a settings issue as I never played it with 2.7.4 ?

Ben

• Congratulations, Ben! Glad you like the Kemper!

Do you get that rumble/crackle with other profiles as well? It is quite possible it is from your pickups, but a little more troubleshooting will be required to arrive at a conclusion.

Hi

Went back to 2.7.4 but problem still there ?

Weird because it only happens / is audible as the sound trails-off ?

Will keep digging.

Ben

• Hi all

I cant believe I did this, but I am %99.99 sure [ actually %100 sure ] I blew the 50w Weber Alnico Blue in my 2 x 12 ......grrrrrrrrr ......... 40+ years playing and this is the first time I've blown a speaker ...... and it was my Alnico :( ...... forgot the golden rule with SS power amps ....... unlike Tube power amps, they don't limit and compress when cranked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway ......... it did sound AWESOME before it started crackling and then fart-ing out :)

Ben

Edited once, last by benifin ().

• Wow. That seriously sucks. Sorry to hear.

• Thanks all ...... real bummer for sure .... I'll get the Weber fixed and probably sell it as although it is a very nice speaker, Alnico's and high / loud wattage amps aren't a great mix.

My 2 x 12 box has 1 x 75w Celestion G12T-75 8 ohm -plus- 1 x Weber Alnico Blue 50w 8 ohm - they are wired in parallel for 4 ohm.

The Matrix puts out 420w continuous at 4 ohm and to avoid blowing speakers it has a front signal led light that

- when blinking means it is putting out around %12.5 load or 50w

and

- when solidly on [ instead of blinking] puts out around 25% of the amplifiers total power / around 105w

Trust me, the solid led light = around 105w = CRAZY PLENTY LOUD - too loud even for gigging - I just got carried away with the wall of sound :) :) :)

At this ~ 105w level ..... I knew the 75w Celestion would be fine especially as it is a ceramic ...... but obviously it was just a tad too much for the Alnico Weber ..... the Celestion still had quite a bit of headroom but clearly the Weber was already at it lmit ........

Anyway, luckily there is a local 2nd hand gear store that has a used 8 ohm G12T-75 in stock for only $70 or so, so I'll grab that tomorrow ..... at least then my cab will take up to 150w @ 4ohm so that should leave me heaps of headroom especially given that it was really WAY loud even to gig with...

Ben

Edited 2 times, last by benifin ().

• Unfortunately, you nailed it! I don't say, because I wrote suggestion for benifin to turn off noise gate completely off, but then I reread his post I saw he already did try that. ;)
    I wanted to remove my post, but i didn't find this function anymore, was it removed?

• I was going to say the speaker died doing what it loved doing the most.

Yes, it is unfortunate it blew. I blew up a VINTAGE late 50s Jensen Alnico speaker by foolishly running a Carvin X100-B head (a big POS) 30 years ago.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• I suspect that I have damaged more than one speaker with digital devices.

Our drummer is a monster (in a good way) and so our studio gets very very loud with rehearsals....

The original V30s that I used in my Framus 2 x 12 with a DV Multiamp started to sound 'farty' to my ears....but I am OCD about sound....the rest of the band couldn't hear it.

Then I changed those out for the Celestions from my Marshall TSL122 combo......have been using with my Kemper for about 8 months. Occasionally I wonder if I am hearing some speaker distortion or they are failing again....

As per the other thread about powered wedge recommendations, I'm considering a DXR10, even though I have the powered version of the Kemper. It's taken a while for me to get the confidence to move away from a guitar cab, but I think, with the right FRFR cab it's the right way to go.

So if you can do it sooner rather than later, even better..... I just need to find the time to get my kit down to a decent shop with the right stock.

Out of interest, where are you based?

Cheers,
    Andy

• DXR10 > Seems like a lot of people are very happy with those. Would like to take a listen myself.

• Honestly I am quite stunned / shocked as to how great my 2x12 cab. ( pre blowing up ) sounds.

I just turn the cab off and tweak the eq ever so slightly.

I totally expected it to sound terrible - hence all my FRFR spec searching - but it sound REAL ..... as in real amp into real cab.

For me, if I didn't have a good real cab our one that didn't sound right, id go the CBR112. ( passive ) ........ nothing wrong with the DXR10 but given the KPAv already had around 2- 3 ms processing latency, the DSP DXR10 will introduce a further minor latency which I would rather avoid.

However if I didn't already have a good SS power amp, I almost certainly go with the DXR10 as I'm sure after 5 minutes of playing, my brain and ears would adjust to such minor latency.

Ben

• Other thing I wanted to mention was

- is it just me but are most / all the stock factory rigs very bass heavy ?

Not an issue as its a very quick eq adjustment but was wondering if its just my old ears losing their hi end ? Or are they actually in reality very bass heavy ?

Ben