2.8 " Direct " Profiling my DC30 ...... Profiled Amp is way too "hot" ...... suggestions ..... ?

• Hi all

Been doing some 2.8 FW "Direct" profiling of my Ceriatone DZ30 head / Matchless DC30 clone head.

Am using an ART ZDirect DI.

Its all [procedurally] working fine except that the Profiled Amp - after initial and refined profiling sound is *very* hot and clippy / fizzy ?

As the amp is "clean" but very pushed / on the edge of breakup, I am using the Distortion profiling setting.

Im running the DZ30 pretty cranked [ sounds awesome that way ] - it is a 30w head and I have the Art ZDirect set to -40 db and that is as low as it goes.

Damn it is LOUD when the "alien spaceship-tones" go through the amp !!!!

I have tried the Profiling input/sensitivity DB setting at both 0 db and -5 db but both sound the same ie: too hot and clippy/fizzy.

Any thoughts / suggestions ?

I assume having my DZ30 cranked [ power amp stage running hard ] makes the profile better ?

Or can I drop the cranked level down without affecting the "profile"
    - maybe its the actual DZ30 clipping the profiles ?

Ben

Edited once, last by benifin ().

• A profile is not necessarily "better" when an amp is cranked. But, If the amp sounds great cranked, the profile should sound great too.

How are you listening to the profile?
    If you listen to a DI profile without a poweramp and guitar cabinet, it will sound fizzy, because there is no speaker sound in the profile.

You may be overdriving the input of the ART - try making a profile with the amp set quieter, to test that idea.

• Am doing a DIRECT 2.8FW profiling CH 1 of the DC30.

CH1 Amp settings are:

- Vol - 2.00pm
    - Hi Input
    - Bass - noon
    - Treble - 2.00pm
    - Master Volume on 11.00am
    - its a 30w head but is [gloriously] loud

Going in to

- Guitar to front of KPA
    - Profiling DB Sensitivity tried at 0db and -5 db
    - Direct Out to CH 1 Hi In of amp
    - DC30 Speaker OUT to ART ZDirect Input
    - ART ZDirect Input Through to Speaker Cab
    - ART ZDirect -40db Cannon Out to KPA return

The amp sounds awesome - as usual :)

Do the profile - all goes well ......

Refine - all goes well ........

Save it - all goes well .......

Listen back to it through my Matrix SS amp and real guitar cab with CAB ON = fizzy / too hot / way to "gainy" etc........

Just for the heck of it, I try Cab OFF ...... but being a Direct Post-Power-Amp-Pre-Speaker-Profle ..... as expected, its worse.

Thoughts ? Ideas ?

Maybe the ART ZDirect cannot handle the signal coming from the amp (?)

Ben

• Direct profiling is meant to be done with no powersoaks, no load boxes (other than the actual speaker).

The ART is supposed to be able to handle Speaker Level signals.

HEY - have you activated Direct Profiling?

go to page 8 in the System Menu and press soft button 4 - once illuminated, the new format is active. Simply press again to restore the profiling to the older format. Please note: there are no confirmation display messages yet, due to it being unofficial and for testing purposes.

• I have experienced similar symptoms with certain amps. Coincidence or, not, they've also been EL84 based amps.

My guess is it's a bug in the current tech preview version of 2.8.0. Hopefully will be fixed in the final 3.0.