Wired iems systems

• I was goin to ask this in the other iem thread that's active but didn't want to hi-jack it.

Does anyone use wired rather than wireless systems for their iems?

I've read that the sound quality of wired is much better for much lower cost and seeing as I don't go running around the stage and use a normal cable for my guitar, not wireless, it seems to make sense to invest in a wired system and then spend the extra money on better in ears. Also, no concerns about interference, radio bands etc.

• I've been using a wired system for years, but it's a bit of a one-off kind of setup. I have a small Yamaha mixer that gets a feed with vocals and other instruments from the FOH board. It also gets a direct signal from my vocal mic (via a splitter), and a direct stereo feed from the KPA's headphone out. It sounds great, and I can always get 'more me' when I need it. I run my IEM's (1964 EARS custom fit) with a cable from the stereo headphone out of the Yamaha. Although it's a little bit cumbersome, I'm really pleased with the result, but realize that it certainly wouldn't be practical for everyone.

• I'm using Ultimate Ears custom molds. Taking the output of the house aviom monitoring system into the alternate input of the KPA (my guitar signal turned off in aviom setting). Blending that together with the guitar sounds directly from the KPA, IEMs connected to the headphone output of the KPA.

works great and lets me hear the KPA signal direct while mixing in everyone else.

sean

• I assume this is one of the nicest ways to go with wired IEM as a guitar player: http://www.thomann.de/gb/fisch…bodypack_mit_lsregler.htm and http://www.thomann.de/gb/fisch…nearcable_ii_10_meter.htm (If you are able to solder, you can get the cable for half the price by buying its components... :D )

You just need a feed from the mixer without your guitar into the aux in (return & alternative input) of your Kemper and you are good to go. Just keep in mind that this solution hasn't got a limiter, which is fine for your guitar sound as it is quite controllable. If you want to hear your singers mic, which is constantly feedbacking because he "can't hear himself on his stage monitors", I would be a little more careful... ;) In this place a limiter (in the mixer or behind your Kemper) comes in handy.

I still wouldn't go for http://www.thomann.de/gb/fischer_amps_inear_monitor_bp.htm as it is powered on batteries, needs two XLRs and is quite bulky.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

• Im the one who started the other thread. Just to explain what we're doing.......We are using a wired system. Its actually the Jamhub Green room. Im splitting all of the xlrs with an Art S8 Splitter. 1 feed feeds the Jamhub, the other goes to the snake. All of the gtrs are headphone out (kemper, Elevenrack) Bass and acoustic gtr are split in a di box. Pretty simple set up actually. I bought Shure Se215's to use and as of this point right now.....I absolutely hate them. Thinking I may just have to go with studio quality over the head headphones. If I drastically cut the highs on the profile I can get it to sound decent through the Shures, but it will sound super muddy through the mains. Im wishing the Kemper had a headphone out eq, but I know thats silly to even want. Anyways, good luck with your IEMs, and I certainly didnt want to hi jack your thread either. :thumbup:

• This is certainly proving interesting. I'd not thought about taking a feed back into the kemper that's for sure, yet people seem to be doing this. Could anyone walk me through how that works a little bit? Just pretend I'm about 4 and have never heard of a kemper:) I had a look at wikpa but couldn't see anything on this. Thx a lot!!

• I use a cabled in ear system and I find it to be by far superior in sound quality compared to the entry level LD Systems MEI 1000 [1] wireless system I was using before. I don't have experience with other wireless systems but if this is anything to go by I'd say steer clear of wireless until you can afford a decent system.

For now I'm using a passive volume control belt pack from Fischer Amps [2] connected using a Rock On Audio combined cable [3] to a Behringer headphone amp on the other end. I have a small mini-jack to XLR plug to go between the cable and the belt pack.

Very happy with this setup! The sound is super clean and I have it running in stereo.

A couple things to note:

• I'm a bit worried about my guitar with the Fischer belt pack, it is made of metal with rather sharp edges and knocks at my guitar now and then, particularily when I take it on and off.
    • The Rock On cable is allright but really is just a long sock with the two cables inside so I'm trying to be careful not to twist it too much when packing, I don't want the cables to become a tangled mess inside the sock.

I'm going to look at using the headphone out of my Kemper when I don't have the rack that the Behringer headphone amp sits in with me. I'm not sure it can be done how I'm picturing it but I'll report back!

To Netheravon and about this: Page 21 of the reference manual describes the Auxiliary input(s) which I was imagining using for the monitor feed from the desk.

[1] - http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_mei_1000_g2.htm
    [2] - http://www.thomann.de/gb/fisch…bodypack_mit_lsregler.htm
    [3] - http://www.rockonaudio.com/?page=CAB-001

• Oh I think I understand: you're worried that you have a problem with the special two-in-one cable and you won't have an easy replacement? The thought has crossed my mind too! :D

I do have a simple headphone extension cable so I have a two cable backup solution if the special cable breaks. I can then use that together with a regular guitar jack cable.

• Thx a lot for the replies and taking the time to add links too, Terje. I'll have a read of the reference manual again, thanks for the page number there too. :) Be interested in hearing how you're thinking of using the kemper headphones out and if it works.

• Just read the referenced page and it looks interesting . As others have said it seems you could take a feed from the desk into the aux in and then the overall mix could be heard through headphones. Obviously this isn't new to some people, but I'd never realised this

As Maleus says though it appears there's no limiter involved this way. Is there an easy way to incorporate one? Eg place a discrete one between the desk and the aux in on the kemper?

• Most members of our Band are on wired InEars. We use a X-32 console with 5 Stereo and 2 Mono InEars.

We hava a 6-Channel Headphone Amp from Presonus directly fed from the Stage-Box. Everyone has a Passive Fisher-Amps-Mini-Body-Pack.
    The Drummer has a small Behringer Mixer as Headphone amp.
    We have two Room-Mics set up for Ambience and everyone does their own InEar-Mix with the X-32 App on their smartphone.

Works Perfect!

Martin