S/pdif Help please

• Hi All,
    I hooked up my kemper using an s/pdif for the outputs today and think I may be hearing an occasional click!
    From what I've read on this forum I had the idea that the kemper had to be the master clock. But when I looked at the manual today is said that the kemper would receive a clock from the master clock of my interfaces.
    So I've gone with the manual.
    All works fine apart from the possible odd click. It's not nearly as or audible, or as frequent as when I've set interface' incorectly in the past.
    Any Light you may be able to shed on the problem would be very much appreciated.

• Telelogic and I are working on the same Kemper together so I'm chipping in to offer this info:

On p.37 of the pdf manual, it says
    "The PROFILER will automatically sync to a MIDI Clock signal received by its MIDI input."
    suggesting that the Kemper is ready to receive a clock signal, rather than to provide one.

We're wondering how we tell the Kemper to output a clock signal, and via what cable?

• MIDI clock is not wordclock. If two digital audio devices work together (Kemper into Soundcard via S/Pdif) one of them (Kemper) has to be the master. Otherwise you might get clicks or drop outs etc.
    MIDI clock is used to connect different sequencers or to automate tempo settings between different devices. The two have not that much in common.
    Wordclock is sent via S/Pdif cable and you have to set your soundcard to slave.

• Hi,

which interface are you connecting to? MIDI clock and SPDIF clock are two entirely different things. Set your interfaces sync to external and the clicks will be gone.

• If using the spdif the Kemper has to be master, there is no way to change this. You just connect up the spdif and set your interface to be slave at 44.1khz and spdif as the clock source. The midi clock is something completely different, and would require the midi being connected as well to the interface and telling it to be master and send clock over midi. I've not tried this i'm sure it works but sticking to spdif is well proven by a lot of users on here.
    Hope that helps.

• Thank you all for your helpful advice. I didn't know about the difference between MIDI clock and SPDIF clock. I now understand how to set my interface (an M Audio Profire 2626) as the slave to the SPDIF from the Kemper, thanks.

But here's the rub: I'm also using an M Audio Octane preamp, and I've found it to be glitchy unless I have that as the master and the 2626 as its slave. But the Octane has no SPDIF in, just word clock IN and OUT and they're a different type of coaxial socket.
    Is it possible to send the Kemper's clock signal to the Octane somehow, or is there a better way I should be getting these three devices to work together?

Thanks for reading.

• You can probably (make sure that it works for your setup before you buy anything you can't send back ;o) use something like the "Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC2496" for that if you really need it. However, a cheaper solution would be just using Kemper's analog outs.

• Thanks for that, Mrs Z.

After a lot of reading and learning, I have got everything working nicely, so I'll post my solution here in case it helps others.

I'm using the Kemper as clock master (of course!) via SPDIF, and telling my 2626 to get its clock signal from SPDIF.
    Then, using the 2626 breakout cable and a male-male BNC connector into the Octane's clock IN, the Octane is getting its clock signal from the 2626. What's really good to know is that the 2626 passes the Kemper's clock signal straight back out via its wordclock OUT cable.

If I'm recording something other than guitar and don't want the Kemper switched on all day, I can just tell the 2626 to use its internal clock and everything's still happy.

I know a lot of this would have been obvious to those with more experience of wordclock, but for me its been a very educational little journey. Thanks to you all for sharing your knowledge and advice.