Soon to purchase a Kemper Profiling Amp! :D

• I'm not Ingolf,

BUT - whether changing to a newer or older firmware version, the firmware kaos.bin file should be placed in the Update Folder, not in the root directory.

Hi Paul,

Now I am confused...or, at least there is some contradiction / inconsistency with the Kemper Wiki page on this matter.
    From the "System Management" section on wiKPA (http://www.wikpa.org/System_Management#Updating_FW):

--------------------------------------------
    Updating FW
    NOTE from burkhard: Upgrades are usually possible in one step.
    Every version of FW is a full installation; it doesn't really matter what is installed at the moment.
    Download the Profiler FW updates from the website;
    Copy the unzipped firmware file kaos.bin into the root folder of the USB stick (NOTE: there must be no other copy of the kaos.bin file elsewhere on the stick);
    With the Profiler switched on, and the flash drive firmly inserted, it will notify you that a new version is available. Go ahead and update it using the on-screen instructions;
    Don’t stop the process, even if you have the impression that nothing is happening. Wait for the Update is completed on-screen sign!
    Once updated it will boot up (slowly the first time, so don’t be alarmed);
    Copy all the new rig packs that you want to add into the Shared folder on the flash drive. NOTE from burkhard: the Profiler is able to automatically see all rigs and local presets (e.g. local presets of cabs) stored in the Shared folder of the USB stick; they will be imported regardless the sub-folder they are stored in and even if they are packed. You could put a complete backup archive file into the Shared folder and import all rigs and local presets included in that backup.
    Click on External Storage on the Profiler and then on Import -> import all;
    Sit back and enjoy!

Booting the Profiler with a Previous FW Version
    You may want to temporarily bring the Profiler to a previous FW version. For example for comparing purposes, or because – under certain conditions – this may help upgrading to a new FW version
    Copy the unzipped firmware file kaos.bin into the root folder of the USB stick (NOTE: there must be no other copy of the kaos.bin file elsewhere on the stick);
    plug it in the Profiler while OFF;
    boot the unit keeping < > pressed. It will load the FW from the USB.
    NOTE: this doesn’t install the FW version the Profiler booted from, so next boot will take place from the installed
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Is the wiKPA site incorrect, and if so, who do we alert to have it corrected?

Thanks in advance,
    John

EDIT: By the way, I just ordered my Kemper PowerRack this afternoon from Sweetwater. I will have it on Friday. I am so excited. I feel like an eight year old on Christmas Eve. :thumbup:

Edited 4 times, last by Tritium ().

EDIT: By the way, I just ordered my Kemper PowerRack this afternoon from Sweetwater. I will have it on Friday. I am so excited. I feel like an eight year old on Christmas Eve.

Congrats on that John!! I'm sure you're super excited and it's going to be a late night on Friday for you :thumbup: Enjoy it you're gonna love it!!

• (from the Kemper document "Updating the Profiler Firmware", included with v3.0) I added the bold type :)

"Please perform the following simple steps to update your Kemper Profiler to a more recent firmware:
    You will need to use an empty USB-stick in order to transfer the files from your Mac or PC to the Kemper Profiler. When you connect a USB-stick for the first time, the Kemper Profiler will format it to ensure maximum reliability.
    The next step is to download the latest firmware. Updates are free of charge and can be downloaded from the following URL:
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/start/
    Expand the downloaded .zip archive and search for the update file called “kaos.bin” inside. Copy the file into the “OS Update” folder on the pre-formatted USB-stick using your Mac or PC. Next, unmount the USB-stick from your computer and plug it into the Kemper Profiler. Follow the on screen instructions which will appear after a couple of seconds. "

The above instructions are how to do the update with your KPA already turned on.

The first Wiki instructions are how to install the firmware if there is a problem installing the firmware with the above instructions.

The second Wiki instructions are for a Temporary boot with an older firmware version

• Okay, thanks Paul, Zappledan. Zapman, and all.

This is weird, even the latest Reference Manual (3.0) explicitly instructs that the "kaos.bin" file is to be copied to the Root directory, in order to upgrade firmware:

------------------------------------

Firmware Updates
    Please perform the following simple steps to update your Profiler to a newer firmware:
     You will need to use an empty USB stick in order to transfer the files from your Mac or PC to the Profiler for the first
    time. When you connect a USB stick for the first time, the Profiler will format it to ensure maximum reliability. Please
    be aware that formatting a USB stick will delete all the data on it! A USB stick that has been formatted by the Profiler
    will contain the folders “ Backups ” , OS update ” , and "Shared".
     The next step is to download the latest firmware. Updates are free of charge and can be downloaded from the
    following URL:
    http://www.kemperamps.com/start/
     Expand the downloaded .zip archive. Always check out the ReadMe document included in the download package for
    important hints upfront. The Addendum manual contains useful information related to major new features and
    organized by firmware revision.
     Search for the update file called “ kaos.bin ” in the archive. Copy this file into the root directory on the pre-formatted
    USB stick using your Mac or PC. The root directory is the first, or top-most, directory in the hierarchy.
     Next, unmount the USB stick from your computer and plug it into the up and running Profiler. Follow the on screen
    instructions which will appear after a couple of seconds.
    ------------------------------------

However, per Paul's latest post, I am going to presume that the instructions/addenda included in the latest firmware download must take precedence (unless they made a mistake). In any case, here is how I will proceed...

1) Format new USB drive by connecting it to KPA. The formatting process will also add 3 folders to the USB drive, on of them being named "OS Update".
    2) Remove USB and connect it to my computer.
    3) Download and copy the latest firmware (kaos.bin) to the OS Update folder on the USB drive
    3) Plug USB stick back into KPA, and hope that I receive automatic prompt to update/upgrade firmware.

-- If this does not work --

4) Cut "kaos.bin" file from OS Update folder, and copy/paste it to the Root directory of USB drive, and repeat step #3.

Thanks again, to all, for your help.

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• One more question for you experienced KPA users...

I have already searched, but could not find exactly what I am about to ask. Allow me to preface my question by advising that I have already done my due diligence, and have studied, in-depth, the KPA Basic and Reference Manuals, as well as hours upon hours reading through the wiKPA wiki site.

Question --
    Is there any single document which provides a step-by-step check list and itemized "things to do" upon initial powering up of my new Power Rack. I have been putting together some hand-written notes, with items such as:
    a) Have a new USB flash drive ready and available to format and use as storage, transfer and backup media.
    b) Download all latest OS updates (firmware) and related programs (e.g. Rig Manager).
    c) Determine the new unit's current firmware, and upgrade/update as necessary.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

But I feel like I may have missed or have overlooked so important items and/or preparation work.

So, do any of you know if there is a comprehensive flow-chart / check list that lists and itemizes all the necessary steps that should be taken before and during the first boot-up. Again, I know much of this is in the Basic and Reference Manuals, but a lot of the info. is scattered across various sections of the manuals...while other important "things to do" may not be listed, at all.

Again, just curious if there is a single, comprehensive document that is not just a "Quick-Start" Guide, but includes many of the recommendations compiled on the wiKPA site as well as tips that have been shared here on the KPA forum?

P.S. -- Friday can't get here soon enough! :thumbup:

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    John

• Absolutely, go the Kemper Home Page > Support > Registration and register your new Kemper. This activates your 3 year warranty and also gets you access to the Private forums and certain downloads that aren't available to non-owners of the KPA.

One more day!! Good to bed early so it will get here faster :thumbup:

• Hi John. I'm not aware of such a document, but you seem to have things well in hand. Don't worry, it's an intuitive interface, and should you encounter a question, there are many helpful people here on the forum. ;)

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Absolutely, go the Kemper Home Page > Support > Registration and register your new Kemper. This activates your 3 year warranty and also gets you access to the Private forums and certain downloads that aren't available to non-owners of the KPA.

One more day!! Good to bed early so it will get here faster :thumbup:

What are these "certain downloads" you speak of...?

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• OK gang, I'm going to begin profiling for the first time tomorra... TRES excited to say the least! Is there anything I need to think about / consider ...? (eg. is there likely to be any issues of ground loops or anything like that, etc. etc.?) Cheers!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• What are these "certain downloads" you speak of...?

IIRC things like the Rigs and firmwares are available unless you have a KPA registered. The only thing I thought was available to general public was the manuals, I could be wrong..........Then again maybe not........or maybe so..I don't know anymore, haha it's early

• Haha! No problem dude, just checking :)

So I've installed the latest firmware (version beta 3.0.2 etc. etc.) and so it has all the merged profiles included... Looking at RM it states I have the 347 profiles...

HOWEVER, I'm just looking through the 'additional factory content' on the Kemper support page and just picked 2 at random to ensure these were on the Kemper (ie. included in firmware v3.0) and picked the KM pack and TAF Rig Pack III (Dec 2014) -- all the KM ones are present on my Profiler but not these TAF III ones...

Is there a way of discerning which packs will require importing? ie. what is not currently on the profiler - Or do I need to go through each pack to check?! There are quite a few...!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Not sure if any of those have duplicates. But I found the best way for me is to download all the packs on to the computer and extract in their individual folders. Create the same name folder in Rig Manager and drag the files into that folder on Rig Manager. Then audition from Rig Manager and only put which ones you prefer onto the Kemper. Keeps unnecessary browsing to a minimum on the KPA.