SUPER light Cabinet Options?

• I'm in the process of getting a Kemper but a HUGE deal for me is to run it through something that weighs less than 20 lbs MAXIMUM. I don't care if I get the powered or unpowered Kemper version. I also don't care if the cabinet is a powered or unpowered FRFFR or standard guitar cabinet but I want at least a 10' speaker. I do NOT want to get a separate power amp - I only want 2 pieces, head and speaker, with one having power. I'd want at least 40 watts of solid state power or 15 watts of tube power. It needs to be loud enough to play a small club. I do NOT want to go through the house PA.

Here a few combination I need advice on:

OPTION 1) I can get the powered version of the Kemper with a standard guitar cabinet. It's pretty easy to find a 10" guitar cab under 20 lbs (Engl, Hugh & Kettner amongst others). However all are rated at 30 watts 16 ohms for the most part, and the powered version at 300 Watts into 16 ohms, which I assume would blow the speaker. I assume this can't be done - Correct? I cannot find a 20 lb guitar cabinet able to handle even close to 300 watts.

OPTION 2) I can by the unpowered Kemper and try to find a powered FRFR under 20 pounds. I've pretty much given up on this as a possibility and I cannot find any FRFR even close to 20 lbs with a 10" speaker for ANY price that would sound decent.

OPTION 3) I can buy an unpowered Kemper an run it through the power section of a lightweight amp. Trouble here is that most smaller amps under 20 lbs do not have a way to input directly into the power amp or have an effects loop (I assume I could input into the in of an effects loop for this). The closest I come is the Hugh and Kettner Tubemeister 18 watt 10" combo which has an effects loop. This is a tube power amp so I'm not sure that's the right fit. I cannot find a 40+ watt solid state amp that had a 10" speaker, under 20 lbs and has an effects loop.

I've been trying to find a solution here for at least a month without any success. And help / ideas here will be GREATER appreciated!!! Note that I'm not budging on the 20 pound cabinet requirement nor having NO separate power amp, so don't bother with those 25+ lb options as they are too heavy. :)

Thanks in advance!!

• There are these, but they might be too expensive to import to the US...? They also come in a 2x12 version.

Ps I think it is the cab used in this vid review :

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,
    Sam

• At 16 pounds I think its amazing. Pretty sure Matrix has a US distributor now as well, it's only $16 shipping and no tax to get one of their power amps sent to Florida.

• I was looking for a very light cabinet since a while but, tonewise, they never fitted the bill so I decided to accept a 30-33 lbs cab as light enough to carry in one hand. And in this range there are VERY good FRFR active or passive solutions:

DXR10
    Matrix Q12a
    Atomic CLR NEO
    AccuGroove Latte (or expresso)

If you choose a passive cab there are the Ambrosi retrofit amp and the Camplifier from KPA-Solutions that will complete the setup with a high level of quality!

All the above solutions are not especially cheap (apart from the Ambrosi amp which is by far better than its price tag) but they will give you real satisfaction and for a long run IMO!

I personnaly recently choose to go the AccuGroove Latte + Ambrosi AT70 route and I'm very happy!

Edited once, last by Pick909 ().

• In my studio I use "Montage" cabs. and they are one of the cheapest/lightest I've ever used.. - and they are also the best sounding cabs I ever used.. incredible really.. very very well built. - you can make them openback or closedback..

http://www.lean-business.co.uk…uitar-cabinet-p-1844.html

As a comparison, I had a lot of zilla cabs made.. and now I just use the Montage, they sound far superior & soooo much lighter. - In fact people on this forum have been to my studio and played through them, and have been amazed also!.

Check them out!..

• Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I'm curious what everyone thinks about the third option, which is running through am effects return of a lightweight combo amp like the Tubemeister 18. Also in this scenario, does a tube vs solid state power amp make a difference? Does anyone know of any solid state combo amps 40+ watts under 20 pounds with a 10" speaker and an effects return?

• Interesting option but at 10 kg empty + say 4.6 kg for a average celestion speaker and you are still over 30 lbs total!

• Remember that I'm looking for a 1x10" cabinet. It could also have a tweeter in a FRFR

Given your comment that you "cannot find any FRFR even close to 20 lbs with a 10" speaker for ANY price that would sound decent" -- I'm assuming that the Behringer B210D does not fit your definition of sounding decent?

Because that is the only one that I'm aware of that meets all your other criteria. I think most people here would recommend that you NOT run a Kemper into the effects return of an amp and then into a non-FRFR speaker.

• Hey Tones,
    these ones weight 19 lbs and are 1x12". They are great, I own a 2x12" by them which weights just 14 kg.
    Sound and versatility is ultimate too, and there is a good choice of cones you can have installed.
    I don't think any 1x12" would take 300 W as you asked tho?

I retrofitted (50-70W) my passive toaster for around 200 €, and use my Dragoon 2x12" wheneven I don't want to take my CLR with me. Less that 23 kg overall for my whole rig, guitar included :)

HTH

• @viabcroce - Those Dragoon speaker look great. Two problems - I can't find then anywhere to buy in the USA and it doesn't look like any of the 1x12" come close to handling 300 / 600 watts. :(

@benvigil - I've read terrible things about the Behringer B210D as a FRFR for guitar modelers. Not heard them myself, but have not really seen anything good. Also note thatthe Kemper manual says that's it's OK to run the Kemper through a Guitar power amp and guitar speaker cabinet with the Cabs turned off in the Kemper output, so I assume that's OK.

• viabcroce - Those Dragoon speaker look great. Two problems - I can't find then anywhere to buy in the USA and it doesn't look like any of the 1x12" come close to handling 300 / 600 watts.

Well, as I wrote,

I don't think any 1x12" would take 300 W as you asked tho?

As for shipping, I guess the most linear way would be to drop a line to them? :)

• I'm not an expert. Lorenzo Ginanneschi (the engineer who designed and builds them) is a guitar player tho, and he could give you some good advice.

I'd also give a look at the transducers' description or the right side of the 1x12" page: their sonic personality is well described there.
    The whole idea behind the Dragoon concept (as I said, I bought a 2x12") is their modularity: you can assemble different transducers into a single 2x12" or, in the time, add more 1x12"s to complete their sound spectrum according to your tastes\needs.
    I found this video where they present all the 1x12" and also combine them.

A Dragoon 1x12" weights 13 lbs... LOL

Note: I saw there are prices in US$ on the English pages, so delivery to the US is definitely an option.

:)