SUPER light Cabinet Options?

• At 16 pounds I think its amazing. Pretty sure Matrix has a US distributor now as well, it's only $16 shipping and no tax to get one of their power amps sent to Florida.

This seems awesome, but I'm concerned about the 60 watt power handling capability for the 300 W powered Kemper. Thoughts?

• True. Good advice.

In the Anderton's video, they had it hooked up to a 400 watt amp, IIRC. It's mainly transient spikes on clean sounds that you need to worry about.

Cheers,
    Sam

• Yep. Loudness on distorted sound is not as dangerous.

Also, when you are around the cab's safety zone limit small details matter as well: you could have a momentary overload for example using a delay or a flanger, when notes overlap giving just that slightly stronger signal... :evil:

• So I tried the non-powered Kemper into the effects return slot of an 18 watt tube amp (Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18) at a local shop and it sound fabulous. I used the "monitor out" output of the Kemper directly into the effects return of the H&K.

Problem is, I wasn't sure how to control the overall output volume. The H&K master volume (or channel volume) did nothing. The Kemper master volume did nothing. The only volume that worked was the rig (patch) volume (lower right on lunchbox), and every time I changed the rig to a new one it blasted the amp at full volume again until I turned the rig volume down. I'm confused as why the Kemper Master volume (upper right) did nothing to control the volume. Is this something that can be changed in the output section as directed toward the Monitor Out output in the Kemper?

Tony

• So if I set the monitor output really low, then LINK it to the master volume, does the monitor volume adjust volume RELATIVE to the master volume full setting, or as an absolute to the master volume actual amount?

Second question - Does anyone know of any EXTERNAL device that will limit the power output out of the the power amp of the Kemper and into the speaker (i.e. between the to that would set a peak power)?

• IIRC the two go in parallel (i.e. respecting the absolute offset); but try it by yourself (it won't hurt), my Profiler is switched off ATM.
    You could use one of those attenuators meant for cranking up powerful tube amps at bedroom levels. But it won't be a brickwall anyway, just a "proportional" power sink, if that makes sense.

:)

• Thanks. I don't actually OWN a Kemper yet. Just making sure I have a lightweight cab solution before I pull the trigger, and it's hard to find anything reasonable size and under 20 lbs other than a guitar cabinet, and hard to find a guitar cabinet at that weight that takes power over 60 watts.

So I can't try this out myself. If the monitor out can be set RELATIVE to the master volume and linked that way, this I think would solve the problem. I can set my max output level in monitor out and link that to 100% of the master volume. Nothing in the manual that says anything about this.

If that CAN'T be done again I'm wondering if their is some kind of brick wall power LIMITER for this solid state power output (not attenuator that decreases the volume output for a tube amp). Not sure if anything like this exists and having trouble looking it up on the internet.

• Ya know... with FW v3 just release and a lot of preamp only profiles, using a Kemper out through a power amp (like the 4 lb, 200w, Quilter Tone Block 200) and a 1x12 becomes a much more attractive alternative.

Something like an Eminence DELTALITE® II 2512 is 250 watts and only 5.1 pounds and is pretty well regarded. That gives you 15 pounds for the cabinet. The Bogner Cube clone cabs I built are about 19lbs, but they are 3/4" birch plywood and very well reinforced.

TRM Guitar Cabs makes TL806 cabs right around 20lbs. I bet he can make a custom one that is lighter.

That gets you very close.

• Actually, the DELTALITE® II 2510 is also 250w, is only 4.6 lbs, and that means your cabinet is smaller/lighter too.

I bet that driver in a Thielle design cabinet would sound amazing with the Kemper. The resonant frequency is VERY close to an EVM 12L.

• I have an existing 15 pound guitar cab. That's not an issue. The issue is that it only handles 60 watts. Power amp is not the issue either. Kemper comes with that. The issue is limiting the 600 watts of power into 60 watt cabinet.

• Well, why not buying a less powerful poweramp then? You'd also save lots of money. If you go for a lunchbox you could retrofit it. Then you might use guitar cabs or passive linear cabs such as a CLR... or both :)

• A passive CLR weigh about 45 lbs, not exactly what I would call a light cab Gianfranco! ;)

But it is still a good idea to put a Ambrosi or KPA-Solutions retrofit power amp and use all the low wattage (or high wattage) ligthweigh cabs you want!

• BTW I use a AccuGroove Latte FRFR cab which weigh only 31 lbs but its cubic format make it not so easy to carry with one hand so the weigh should not be the only consideration.