Kemper Remote Setup Strategies

• Hi Kids! :thumbup:

I know a lot of us are like kids before Christmas and can't wait for the eventual shipment of the new Kemper Remote. I would like to just start a conversation concerning the setup of the remote, most specifically how most of you plan on configuring the 4 FX buttons, I II III and IV.

There are so many options (thankfully Kemper!) that could be used. For example - are some of you planning on ALWAYS configuring FX button I for ____ ? Button II for ____ plus _____? etc or ____?.. etc.. which would allow the live player to not even have to think about which button to hit regardless of the rig chosen. Just hit and get exactly what expect every time, every rig.

OR - are many of you planning song specific roles which will vary across the rig spectrum?

It may be too early for many to respond, but I just thought I'd try to poke some thoughts from the esteemed group eagerly awaiting this new toy. Hope to hear some fun and meaningful applications to add to my own thoughts and plans.

Thanks for indulging this question. :D

Gary ô¿ô

• I also like some consistency throughout my rigs.
    My planned switches assignment:
    I will always be a boost,
    II will always be a distortion.
    III will always be a modulation effect (depending on the song, vibrato, tremolo, flanger, rotary)
    IIII will always be another modulation effect (see above) with one exception: if III is rotary, then IIII will switch the rotary speed from slow to fast.

I have two DVP-3 pedals, using them for volume and wah/pitch depending on the rig.
    I'm hoping for more options than currency available (delay mix, chorus speed, delay repeat etc.).
    I don't use or need delay or reverb on/off switching because I program my rigs in performances with different 'wetness' so they are always on.

• Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was hoping to learn from the community - true strategies. Paults, what are your current strategy thoughts? I know you're also ahead of the curve on this.

I'm thinking for me one will most always be a wah/boost combination also. I DO wish there was a separate delay stomp versus setting up different rigs in performances, but no biggie there, and I'm hoping the new firmware will allow Browse mode besides Performance mode.

Are the DVP-3 pedals significantly better in terms of sweep response than the MEngineering or Moog EPs? I know some have made favorable comments about them. Reading the literature it sounds like it uses standard guitar cables versus TRS. Is this the case?

Gary ô¿ô

• DVP's are TRS Gary

my wah is locked so I won't have it take up one of my 4 buttons on the remote. like Ingolf has said his rigs will always be consistent this is how I work 2. When singing and playing sometimes you don't have time to look at the pedals so II is always phaser/flanger and III is always whammy. If I'm doing a song that requires transpose this will not be assigned to a I - IV button because I wouldn't want to accidentally turn it off when pressing a another button.

• Raoul, Ingolf, does that mean you have a wah and whammy locked as stomps in all of your rigs, or only in certain rigs and usable only when you use that DVP? Do you leave your wah set on "bypass > stop" in stomps, "wah to volume" in system? Or some other scheme?

(Yes, transpose would be a disaster by accident LOL.)

I know currently we can only use 2 pedals in the system menu, and there are only 2 inputs for them. Am I to understand there will be options for configuring all 6 EP slots in the new firmware upgrade? Or am I missing something...(probably)

Gary ô¿ô

• Yes, I think we can expect to be able to configure all six pedal inputs.

And, thanks for the compliment :)

My plan is a little different than the above ideas.

Because I've been using a combination of G-System and Kemper FX, I've been using each Rig as a preset (the effects I wanted were active in each rig). But, I will be using switches I-IIII to make the rigs more versatile. With many rigs, the versatility will come from turning effects off, instead of adding them.

- I don't control the volume with a pedal. I use the guitar knob, so I'll be using one DPV3.
    - Any rigs with wah are 'bypass at stop'.
    - Pitch Rigs are 0 at heel
    - Stomp switches will tend to be 1 and 2,
    - x, mod, rev, del will tend to be 3 and 4
    - I'll be using the multiple assignment feature quite a bit, too. With four effects assigned to one switch, some special effects sounds will no longer require a separate rig from the main sound for a song.

• Raoul, Ingolf, does that mean you have a wah and whammy locked as stomps in all of your rigs, or only in certain rigs and usable only when you use that DVP? Do you leave your wah set on "bypass > stop" in stomps, "wah to volume" in system? Or some other scheme?

I ALWAYS have either a wah or a whammy in slot one (I like whammy before the amp). Wah is set to bypass @ stop and I use pitch to wah.
    this way one pedal will always work as wah or pitch, depending on the rig.

(Yes, transpose would be a disaster by accident LOL.)

I know currently we can only use 2 pedals in the system menu, and there are only 2 inputs for them. Am I to understand there will be options for configuring all 6 EP slots in the new firmware upgrade? Or am I missing something...(probably)

Exactly this is how it's supposed to be: being able to configure a total of 6 pedal or switch options for the 6 jacks (2 on the Kemper and 4 on the Remote)

• That EQ idea would probably work well with my PRS humbuckers as well. I don't use the volume pedal either, wah and pitch in certain rigs only. Though having them in assigned slots or locked as Ingolf says might be the way for me to go on the remote, I'll have have to see. Thanks for the ideas! There are just sooo many ideas with the multiple switch buttons to come!

Gary ô¿ô

• Mine still sounds a bit dark in 2 and 4, Need that brightening you mention I believe.

Yes, knowing your colors is a good thing! I'm thinking I'll do something like this uniformly:
    I boost
    II wah/pitch
    III mod + ? EQ
    IIII delay + ? EQ

with some presets having other combos on them, loads of time to figure it out though. Possibly also put a boost in IIII for delay leads. Just thoughts for now.

Gary ô¿ô

• [quote='prsgary','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/18659-Kemper-Remote-Setup-Strategies/?postID=201752&#post201752']Raoul, Ingolf, does that mean you have a wah and whammy locked as stomps in all of your rigs, or only in certain rigs and usable only when you use that DVP? Do you leave your wah set on "bypass > stop" in stomps, "wah to volume" in system? Or some other scheme?

I ALWAYS have either a wah or a whammy in slot one (I like whammy before the amp). Wah is set to bypass @ stop and I use pitch to wah.
    this way one pedal will always work as wah or pitch, depending on the rig [quote]

this is exactly how I run mine