Request: Parent folder browsing

• When I create folders within folders (I have an Amps folder with several brand/model folders inside) the parent folder does not allow browsing the secondary folders.

for example if under the Amps parent folder I have a Marshall SL folder and a Fender Champ folder with profiles inside, I would like to be able to see what's inside both of them by selecting the Amps folder

does this make sense? :)

• The most obvious example is the Local Library folder. Whatever profiles you have inside any secondary folders beneath it don't show up. I have hundreds of profiles in separate folders, and yet the Local Library folder that contains them says 0...

• Yep.when you move files to a subfolder, the counter decreases. I think this is deeply designed. I guess the best option would be to copy the files to subfolders rather than moving them.

• Are you talking about the number of rigs or do you wanna see the actual rigs of the sub-folder in the parent folder? The term "Browsing" seems to be misleading, if you are talking about the numbers.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Yep.when you move files to a subfolder, the counter decreases. I think this is deeply designed. I guess the best option would be to copy the files to subfolders rather than moving them.

Why would you wanna do that? You would only create redundancy and later inconsistent data, as soon as you would edit any rig in any of the directories.

• I do it for example because I want to have an "old style" rigs classification. I divide them according to the guitar I use, for example.
    When we have a more consistent and powerful tagging system this might reveal itself redundant, for the moment I find it quite useful and intuitive. I don't feel current options give me the versatility I need. I'd at least need to be able to create custom tags, and to change their order in the windows' header.

When you write about "inconsistent data" do you refer to something that could crash the app? If not, I'm ok with that. I can use the same rig for two guitars and tweak the two instances differently, for example, and have my G&L and my Makassar folders. I prefer to not rename the rigs' name.

:)

• The folders in Rig Manager are designed like the folders in the Finder or Explorer. In file systems, you don't see the files of subfolders mixed with the files in the parent folder. This might be a good feature for you, but I'm pretty sure there are other users who would be really confused if we changed the behavior of Rig Manager's folders. viabcroce: moving is just the default when you drag between Local Library folders. Press Ctrl while dragging, and it will become a copy instead of a move.

• @viabcroce

I mean inconsistency in terms of having 2 rigs with identical names yet different content (settings) once you edited one copy.
    I don't know about the limitations of the database included, but the number of profiles available is increasing rapidly so we may hit a wall at some point with one of the well known numbers 65535 ?? ;) But that wasn't my point.

I totally agree on custom tags and the "fixed" column order.

• The folders in Rig Manager are designed like the folders in the Finder or Explorer. In file systems, you don't see the files of subfolders mixed with the files in the parent folder. This might be a good feature for you, but I'm pretty sure there are other users who would be really confused if we changed the behavior of Rig Manager's folders. viabcroce: moving is just the default when you drag between Local Library folders. Press Ctrl while dragging, and it will become a copy instead of a move.

Hi Arne, I get what you are saying, though I can't think of any disadvantage in being able to use the parent folder to browse all folders within. Or better said, I don't see how it would take away from what we already have. Organization-wise, I think it would be a step forward, since it would add one more level of management. But whatever you guys decide, I'm cool with it... :)

• I was just about to start a request as i found this thread.
    Any news on this? I also think it is irritating how it works now. I know that this is the same behavior like the windows explorer, but the rigmanager serves a different purpose.
    I have my (commercial) rigs organized by author (TAF, M. Britt, etc.). These Folders have subfolders that represent the different Profile-Packs.
    I think it would be awesome to
    1. view all Profiles of a Profile-Pack in the corresponding sub-folder AND
    2. view all Profiles of this Author in the parent folder.

This principle can be transferred to sorting by Amp-Brand, Style, Guitars, Channels of an Amp, ...

• No news ATM. The best approach i've found is to duplicate files.
    OTOH, you can use the Comment field in RE to sort rigs, so you won't need subs in many situations, such as the scenario you described.

HTH

• I have my (commercial) rigs organized by author (TAF, M. Britt, etc.). These Folders have subfolders that represent the different Profile-Packs.

you can use the comment field for e.g. the name of the rig pack. and if you look for a specific author, that's what the author field is for. they're all searchable already.
    gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• When I create folders within folders (I have an Amps folder with several brand/model folders inside) the parent folder does not allow browsing the secondary folders.

for example if under the Amps parent folder I have a Marshall SL folder and a Fender Champ folder with profiles inside, I would like to be able to see what's inside both of them by selecting the Amps folder

does this make sense? :)

for me it does not make sense to see what's inside :) you can guess what's inside since you see the names of folders :D did you have in mind searching nested folders while you are in the root folder?