What is the best way to connect the Kemper to FOH mixer?

• I thought connecting my Kemper to FOH was as simple as running the XLR main (left channel for mono) into a direct box, and then right into a mic channel on the board. I did this at home into my Bose L1 Model II via the T1 tonematch mixer, and it sounded really good. On a live gig this weekend, it sounded horrible and thin. Nothing i did on stage could dial in a good tone.

This particular venue had Mackie 1521 mains and Mackie 450v2 floor wedges. BTW - my direct box is a Radial Engineering JD6 passive rackmount.

What might I be doing wrong? I thought the Main outputs of the kemper were line level. Balanced XLR and unbalanced TRS.

Any help would be appreciated. ?(

• You don't need a DI box if you're going XLR.

1. In output menu choose "Master Mono" for the Main Outs.
    2. Bring the level of the Main Out to approx. -18 dB.
    3. Unlink the volume of the Main Outs from the Master volume knob to always have a fixed Main-Out-Level.
    4. Done.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Oh, okay...THANKS! I will try that. No wonder it sounded like poo. Playing the same venue again tonight. I would really like to have my shiny new Kemper sound as amazing live, as it does in my studio. Thanks for your help!

• We didn't find out yet why it sounded like poo. Maybe there were some other reasons to that issue. We'll see when you tried the settings I suggested above. Good luck! :)

• Good point. Come to think of it, my vocal sounded a bit rough too. There might be more going on than just my Kemper output signal. I will know soon enough. Thanks again.
    GB

• So...I ended up NOT taking the kemper to my gig last night. I decided to learn how to use it better before trying to gig with it.

Ingolf - you are spot on. That is exactly what I did yesterday afternoon. I hooked up the Kemper i my studio and started experimenting.

I ultimately connected the XLR output to my JD6 output into my desk. I set the main output level to zero...instead of -18db in the Kemper... thinking I can engage the -15db pad on the JD6 if the main output send is to hot for any future FOH desk. I already have the JD6 in the rack, so if I am not mistaken, trimming the main output in the kemper, or engaging a -15db pad after the fact, should accomplish about the same thing, right? By knocking the signal down to mic level, I also think that leaves more room for any FOH guy to fiddle with the input level. If I am wrong, please let me know. I have much to learn, and appreciate being educated by those with more experience and knowledge.

In addition to the main mono feed connection back into my DAW, I also connected the SPDIF so I can hear the stereo output. Then I recorded some jamming on a track in Cubase and now I am feeding that loop into the Kemper so I can tweak without having to play at the same time. I plan to spend my day tweaking and experimenting...maybe try a test profile of a BIAS amp. :)

• Thanks for sharing tips guys on optimal settings for the FOH input. I am still a little confused how there is ever a constant level fed via the main out...I do understand how you can un link it....but wouldn't the differences of various individual rig volumes result in ultimately different output volumes to the FOH, even if set to -15db?

Has anybody perfected leveling the volume of multiple rigs? I have a gig coming up, and I will use no more than 5-6 rigs...I am using the monitor out to an onstage CLR, and main out to FOH. Here is my plan:

1) Link everything so that all outputs are the same
    2) set master volume at 5 (middle)
    3) unlink main output volume from master and set to -15db
    4) go through each rig, be sure that the "rig volume" was set to 0 (middle) and save
    5) double check "clean sense" setting
    6) set the cabinet volume of my first rig (a clean 59 Top Jimi bassman profile) to zero and use as a reference volume**
    7) go through the next five rigs and compare their volume to that first reference volume rig, and equalize the volumes Im "hearing" by adjusting cabinet volume of each of those rigs to sound the same as the reference volume rig
    8) keeping that master volume at 5, set the input gain of the CLR to one mark below clipping, using that first reference volume rig
    9) raise CLR volume to taste for desired stage volume
    10) make fine stage volume adjustments via the kemper master volume that is linked only to monitor out, leaving FOH unchanged (can i send the CLR into clipping by raising master volume too much? if so how much headroom should i give the CLR on input gain?)

Can you experts correct anything that looks off? If I do the above, and feed FOH -15db, will they get the proper signal, or will that totally depend on the volume of the first reference rig I set everything else relative to?

It seems the only precise way to do this would be actually measure with a meter the db level of these separate rigs to equalize their volume.... has anyone figured out a more precise way to do this? I wish there were a way to globally equalize the output volume of all your rigs.

• Some of these steps are not needed, or would gove you better results if modified:

Skip these -
    4) go through each rig, be sure that the "rig volume" was set to 0 (middle) and save
    You are balancing the rig volumes in Step 7

6) set the cabinet volume of my first rig (a clean 59 Top Jimi bassman profile) to zero and use as a reference volume**
    Use an unedited Kemper Factory Rig as a reference volume, NOT a user or commercial rig. The Factory Rigs are balanced to each other, and other rigs should be, but there is no guarantee of that. If Factory Rigs are NOT your volume standard, you are likely to have to edit the volume of every rig you ever want to use live.

A DB meter does not give you better results than your ears. The most important thing to do is to volume balance the rigs at stage volume. Once you have done that, you are in good shape. There will always be some dynamic differences from your performance - if you lean into the guitar because you are having a better time on one song than another, you will be sending a little more signal to the FOH than with another song. But, so will the rest of the band.

• any help would be appreciated.

My kemper stage sounds awsum at home with headphones.

But my issue is at gig level.

I'm currently running the kemper straight to mixer FOH with two xlr.

The main output is set at -15db master stereo. I thought I was doing it right but the sound is awfull nothing like at home volume any ideas

• any help would be appreciated.

My kemper stage sounds awsum at home with headphones.

But my issue is at gig level.

I'm currently running the kemper straight to mixer FOH with two xlr.

The main output is set at -15db master stereo. I thought I was doing it right but the sound is awfull nothing like at home volume any ideas

That's not right, and a little strange.

Cab is on, right?

Have you checked the EQ on the mains output?

• 1. Tweak your live sounds at gig level not at home level (Google Fletcher-Munson) .

2. Some mixers automatically engage mic preamps when seeing XLR which can lead to input clipping. Try connecting with TS.

• Ks for the reply guys

The cab is on and it doesn't sound its clipping it just doesn't sound as good as I thought it sounds more digital and cheap, I am at the end of my wits with it to be honest.

I'm using the Mackie dl32r wireless mixer the eq is flat on the mixer

• Maybe the FOH speakers aren't a good match for the Kemper. It's always best to rule out one possible reason after the other. The Kemper is definitely able to produce good sounds at gig level.

• Sorry to say this but what you're writing leads nowhere. There's no way around some testing and investigating. You need to do this by yourself as everything we suggest is pretty theoretical unless you put it to a test.