Great guitar headphones for kemper?

• Sennheiser HD280 Pro, I think they are a good bang for your buck.

Sound is 100% subjective and my experience with the Sennheiser HD280 pro is not good at all when it comes to mixing and critical studio listening, or enjoying music with. They are not very linear but they are closed back and have very high external noise cancellation which makes them great when recording vocals to avoid sound bleed. For me they are perfect for that.

To me more expensive studio headphones like the open AKG K601, K701 or Sennheiser HD600 are a night and day difference better compared to the HD280. Once I experienced that big difference I can never go back.
    A nice pair of studio headphones can last 10+ years when careful so I think it's worth spending that extra 100-200 to get excellent sound every day if sound is important. The money difference do correlate to sound quality, and over a few years that extra money is well spent IMO. I'd recommend everyone to take their favorite albums or recordings into a headphone store and do extensive comparisons with the lower and higher budget popular studio headphone brand models to hear the difference.

• I agree with both of you on the HD280's and pretty much all the other headphones in the $100 range when compared to others costing $100-$200+. I would gladly trade up but I don't use them daily, actually use the open ones even more when I can't play through the cab or Bx8's. I've listened to the HD600's and you are definitely correct, it will surely put a bigger smile on your face while listening. Mine cost $70 used oh well saved there and splurged on a KPA :thumbup:

• I swear by the AKG 702s. (701s too) They can be found for around $200 if you look hard and are worth every penny. Super comfortable and great sound with no hyping of the bass or mids. I realize they are in a different price category but I used the 280s and the $100 Sonys (can't remember the model number) for years. The best money I've spent in a long time for these AKGs.

Andy B

• They are more than $100, but I highly recommend the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO headphones. I have tried most of the popular high-end headphones, and the semi-open DT880 PROs are the most comfortable I have ever used with the KPA. In fact, I got them primarily to use with the KPA. You can get them in 250 Ohms or 600 Ohms versions. I have the 600 Ohms Premium/Edition version, and the KPA is able to handle them fine without a separate headphone amp. Most headphones give me ear fatigue pretty quickly, but the DT880s can be used comfortably for many hours.

Don't skimp on headphones if you plan to use them a lot, and don't forget to turn up the "Space" parameter in the KPA's Output section for a more pleasing room sound.

• OK, the 280's are going up for sale and I'm going to try the AKG 702s. Who said I fear change............ Never!

You're in for a big ear-opener, congrats! :thumbup:
    I really like the AKG K700 and K600 series.
    High quality studio headphones are imo the most affordable way to experience good linear sound.
    Studio monitor speakers cost a lot more to reach equal linear response but they also require an acoustic treated and measured listening environment. Just placing great expensive speakers in a room without doing acoustic measurements will therefore not be optimal at all, and good headphones remove those room acoustic variables. I think it's optimal to use both headphones and speakers when mixing, but it's far easier and less expensive to get a more linear sound with headphones.

• i have the 280's and they serve me well, but the isolation is driving me nuts. i have to use phones late and night, and I swear I start to hear things, like crying babies and people in my living room, lol. i really want some open ones. anyone care to save me some research and tell me their favorite open-design pair for ~$100? I'm willing to spend a little more for quality, but I'm not looking for the best, just best bang for the buck.

• If you don't need to buy new there is a big market for used headphones and you can do great bargains.
    Many phone fanatics buy several to do comparisons with and the ones they sell are almost brand new.
    Ebay can also be good for used bargains and I've scored an AKG K601 very cheap, almost half price and looking new.
    There are several sites with reviews, user forum and a sale sections. Remember that lots of hidden marketing in reviews is to be expected and new phones are always promoted even though the previous brand models can sound just as good.
    If you can the best way is always to try and compare several in person since we all hear different and one's favorite phone can be anothers dislike.

• i have the 280's and they serve me well, but the isolation is driving me nuts. i have to use phones late and night, and I swear I start to hear things, like crying babies and people in my living room, lol. i really want some open ones. anyone care to save me some research and tell me their favorite open-design pair for ~$100? I'm willing to spend a little more for quality, but I'm not looking for the best, just best bang for the buck.

Haha, cracking me up but true sometimes. Looking over your shoulder like someone is behind you.... Done that been there!!!!

• I bought Beyerdynamic DT 250 specially for KPA after checking a lot of headphones. Sounds great, relatively cheap, simple in design but solid build, parts easy to replace.

• I used the AKG 271 but got a chance to compare them to Ultrasone Pro 750 and DT 770.

The clear winner is the Ultrasone Pro 750 (besides the price) - I love to the sound of them - not sure if they are really flat but I love the tone i get.

cheers
    Joachim

• Ok, I'm leaning towards the Q701 but read somewhere about a headphone amp. Does these also sound good being pushed by a laptop soundcard for movies on plane trips as well as iPod's without an external amp? TIA

• Why q701 vs k701? From the limited reading i did, the k's are designed flat but the q's have a bass bump. Am i wrong?

Well, that depends on where you read I guess. Both are supposed to have the same hardware just branded different with QJ sponsoring the Q's. I found a pair of the Austria made ones used. Should be here next week. The newer K's and Q's don't say made in Austria and at least all the parts are being made in China. Easy to spot the "Made in Austria" on the outside of the earpieces. I think a lot of the reviews are subjective since it is the users opinion. A graph somewhere of the K and Q's frequency range showed a bit of variation but that, I suppose could be from coil windings alone. Anyway I'm sure they are still a big step up from our 280's and I have found that I like open-ear better.