Fcb1010 single rj45 power and midi poor mans remote kfc

• Thought I would show off my amazing engineering feat. I just mostly copied other ideas I found by Googling and merged them together with my own. It took me quite some time to get it done and was somewhat difficult. Drilling the hole in the fcb and mounting the rj45 is not so easy. Thankfully I owned a dremal which was used a lot. The power is a dc wall wart I took apart and soldered the wires directly to the IEC plug. Soldering such tiny connectors proved to be quite difficult in particular on the neutrik rj 45 jacks. I eventually used old pc pin plugs I got from a pc repair store. They have small metal crimped on connectors that slide over pins on boards and have a plastic protective covering. I cut these up into individual wires to make soldering easier. Board is still functional with old midi and power or any combination as well. I wired in a dpdt switch that has an off in middle and bypassed the old switch completely..the box holding the conversion is held by pedal board tape

• Yes it controls the kemper with the uno 4 k with a single cat 5. It does not connect to the network jack on kemper but my custom box Velcro into back of lunchbox. I spent more on the cable than the rest of the project. Although a regular cat 5 works fine, I carry one as a backup along with standard power and midi in case I ever have problems. Seems flexible quality cat 5 is expensive. Remote buyers may appreciate that you can buy ethercon neutrik connectors yourself(eBay) and whatever cable you want or get elite core cable and cs45 connectors... Elite core cs45 connectors are more flexible in that you can easily remove ends to use as a reg cat 5 or use with the locked in neutrik jacks. In the end, good flexible cable was all expensive and I thought I could use the new style elite core connectors as I've be3n experimenting playing online with family.. That's another topic entirely

Edited once, last by tntent ().

• Oh yes, it's so nice to setup I only plug power to kemper which is also fcb , one cable to fcb. Cable to monitor. Pick up plug to foh put into kemper and done! Much cleaner of course also.

• Don't know why I didn't think of the line 6 cables..good idea paults I think they are made by elite core. Not sure about the ends serving multi purpose.. Never got into the variax..

• tntent - Wow! Such an innovative approach to curing the FCB1010's ills.
    Although I'm handy enough to tackle this, sad to say I probably won't being implementing this due to the following:
    1) My Remote order is soon to be in distribution mode
    2) The additional advantages of better expression pedal options/feel over the standard FCB1010 pedals
    3) All the other seamless features the Remote will bring

Still... it's the best Behringer mod I've seen to date. Bravo on such a great find an your innovation.

• tntent - Wow! Such an innovative approach to curing the FCB1010's ills.
    Although I'm handy enough to tackle this, sad to say I probably won't being implementing this due to the following:
    1) The Remote now being in distribution mode
    2) The additional advantages of better expression pedal options/feel over the standard FCB1010 pedals
    3) All the other seamless features the Remote will bring

Still... it's the best Behringer mod I've seen to date. Bravo on such a great find an your innovation.

thanks for the kind words. The biggest thing left in comparison to the remote is your #2 although I find mine is not that bad with the update to the taper adjustment. Also analogue pedal incorporation would be great but I'm not sure how well the remote will do this either..
    i thought by the time I buy the remote, two pedals for expression, a board to put them together of some sort plus an easy transport method and case, I'm in for a lot more $ than the uno4kemper...
    maybe one day...

• Gotcha... I was just merely saluting your very cool approach.
    I too wrestled with the expense of the remote before, but later sold some unrelated stuff and decided to pull the trigger on it. Had I not, I'd be doing what you just accomplished.

FWIW - Case-wise, I use an SKB SC2709 to tote around the FCB1010 which I found to be a great value.
    Turns out, I re-measured it and it'll comfortably hold the Remote and the (2) DVP3's , so I'm gonna keep it. :D
    All I'll need to do is to re-arrange the separation foam I use to prevent any scratching.

Last point... (to the credit of the Remote)
    One of the coolest features I've seen so far is the simple programming ability method to switch on/off functions dedicated to one stomp button.
    Sorry, but I'd be pulling my hair out trying to program all that with the FBC1010.

Again, what you just accomplished is truly amazing.

Happy Kemper

• If you have the technical knowledge to do the RJ45 mod on your FCB, it's ridiculously easy to remove the pedals and replace them with a pair of TRS jacks. I've got two Mission pedals plugged into mine and they work perfectly. Additionally, if your RJ45 mod includes DC power, you can remove the whole pedal end of the FCB to save space, since the power supply is the only thing down there.

• If you have the technical knowledge to do the RJ45 mod on your FCB, it's ridiculously easy to remove the pedals and replace them with a pair of TRS jacks. I've got two Mission pedals plugged into mine and they work perfectly. Additionally, if your RJ45 mod includes DC power, you can remove the whole pedal end of the FCB to save space, since the power supply is the only thing down there.

Thanks to Lokasenna I ended up hacking the fcb 1010 even more by chopping off both the (well documented crappy) pedals and installed two trs jacks on the end of the board to plug in two passive dunlop dvp 3 pedals. I opted to just completely forgo the built in power supply option or even a switch for that matter.. now the fcb will power up when plugged in the locking neutrik ethercon jack. works great except I may have knocked a midi connection loose somewhere in all this modding and the effects state isnt working properly..either that or its the known problem with FW 3.02 and fcb.. Either way I will be redoing my connections on both ends with neutrik rj 45 pass thru jacks which will allow use of a standard cat 5 cable cut to make connections vs soldering onto the back of the very small pins on the other style jacks. I would definitely reccomend this to anyone interested in trying this mod.. Here is a link to the new jacks I mentioned to redo the connections.. http://www.neutrik.com/en/ethercon/d-series/ne8fdp This makes connections simpler as well because it wont matter how you connect the cat 5 cable as long as it is the same on both ends.
    I will add more pics when possible

• I did the same mod and have midi problems too, with FW 3.02 (One cable for midi in , midi out and power)

I check today the connections again. But it's rare... with FW<3.02 , works ok.

Hector are you saying you had a connection problem that fixed issue ? Not a problem based on firmware?

• It's not a connection problem.
    I did test all cables and connections and are ok (Uno4Kemper 1.3 , and FW 3.0.2)

The FCB1010 connect and work ok if I change to tuner mode, and turn power off and turn power on the controller.

I did test kemper and fcb1010 , with MidioX , and both send and receive data without problems.

With firmware 2.7.x did work without problems...