Disposable income : what to buy...?

• So, I got an email saying I'm owed a fair bit of unpaid royalties. If I've estimated correctly, it might be up to £7700. Question is, what gear should I spend it on and why? I'm quite keen on shelling out on a NICE guitar, something like a Suhr/Anderson custom or something, but would also like to experience proper FRFR (all my experiences outside of the recording studio so far have been with cheapo PA systems/speakers) and if I'm really wise, I should probably keep back £2500 for rent for my studio for the rest of the year. I could also do with a new studio computer and would love a Slate MTi (I do however still love my SSL Nucleus, so that might just be GAS, haha!) and a toaster for home use, but these are just luxuries. Anything I should be aware of? Any recommendations, before I blow it all on useless gadgets? ;)

Cheers,
    Sam

• So, I got an email saying I'm owed a fair bit of unpaid royalties. If I've estimated correctly, it might be up to £7700. Question is, what gear should I spend it on and why? I'm quite keen on shelling out on a NICE guitar, something like a Suhr/Anderson custom or something, but would also like to experience proper FRFR (all my experiences outside of the recording studio so far have been with cheapo PA systems/speakers) and if I'm really wise, I should probably keep back £2500 for rent for my studio for the rest of the year. I could also do with a new studio computer and would love a Slate MTi (I do however still love my SSL Nucleus, so that might just be GAS, haha!) and a toaster for home use, but these are just luxuries. Anything I should be aware of? Any recommendations, before I blow it all on useless gadgets? ;)

Cheers,
    Sam

1) New guitar: Can't see anything wrong in the Suhr or Anderson you've shortlisted. Maybe a custom build?
    2) New FRFR speakers: Since you have the cash, I'd look into a pair of CLRs or DXR10s, depending on how much you want to spend.
    3) Studio gear/computer: Your existing computer maybe just needs an upgrade. Putting in an SSD, more RAM or upgrading your processor and motherboard can all really speed up your projects.

• Hi sam,

don't know you well so I'm not sure if my suggestion sounds interesting to you. But here's what I think:

You already own the Profiler, so you're set regarding "amps". :)
    You probably already own a couple of guitars that do what they're supposed to do.
    Computers are stupid pieces of hardware and it won't kill you to upgrade a bit if you need to. But a faster computer won't inspire more just because it's faster. :)

Now let's get to the point. How curious are you exploring new terrain? Are you all set with your style of guitar playing and music tools? Or could you imagine to get inspiration out of trying new things? I'm always curious and I love to try new things. Sounds good? well, here's some food for thought:

Go and try a Parker Fly Mojo guitar, those with regular pickups PLUS a Fishman piezo (or even one with additional MIDI). These guitars are GREAT, imho. And they offer a lot of added options which you don't get from a regular guitar. I love it a lot. And if you can afford a second Profiler so you can run the electric part through one of them and the acoustic (piezo) part through the other one ... woooooow. Can be so nice, really. Sadly I don't have the one with MIDI. But I can imagine this being pretty interesting as well. :)

If this sounds to weird and you prefer to stick with just simple electric guitar and the Profiler you have ... well, how about getting a few old and not so expensive imperfect guitars. I for one have bought a 50 years old Hofner 175 which doesn't play like butter but it's BIG fun to fight with her. Amazing tones once you start enjoying the fight, hehe. Sometimes it just gets kind of boring to play perfect instruments ... and it certainly inspires me to sometimes play an unwilling bitch which turns out to be a real gem. ;)

Hope some of this makes sense (and at least it's less boring than just go shopping for yet another "perfect" piece of gear)

Cheers
    Martin

• @nightlight and @lightbox : nice suggestions, both of you! I've been wanting to try a CLR for some time, so that's definitely on the list. I have a Power Rack though, so I'm unsure whether to get the passive or just go all in for the complete CLR experience and get one of the actives. Hmmmm...
    I definitely need a new computer, as my current laptop is beyond upgrading unfortunately (the MB and chipset means it can't run a newer OS than OSX 10.7). However, as I'm not particularly busy with my own studio projects at the moment, that could actually be put on the backburner.
    I'm really into guitars again at the moment (I know, sounds weird maybe coming from someone who refreshes this forum 300 times a day, haha), so a new axe is definitely on the list. New experiences is also something I'm up for, so that Parker Fly might also be worth looking into, thanks. I actually have a guitar with both magnetic and piezo pickups (see here ), so maybe a midi option..? I also have an old 60s Höfner, funnily enough!

Thanks for the suggestions :) Any more?

Cheers,
    Sam

• Had to chip in since I'm a lurking incognito Parker Artist... :) I joined Parker two years ago after a few years having a signature model made by a known Spanish luthier (just saying this so you know I'm not too easily impressed). Getting the Flys was akin to getting the Kemper. You just can't put the damn thing down! So I would suggest at least checking one out if you haven't.

• Suhr and Tom Andeerson are super guitars indeed but I suggest you to give a look to the new Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature.
    It doesn't look so pretty as Suhr and Anderson, but it sounds great and it has very special features... and it's cheaper. You could save some money for your new MacBook Pro. ;)
    CLRs are (among) the best FRFR speakers for the price and I would never change mines.
    Enjoy your shopping! :thumbup:

• Go and try a Parker Fly Mojo guitar, those with regular pickups PLUS a Fishman piezo (or even one with additional MIDI). These guitars are GREAT, imho. And they offer a lot of added options which you don't get from a regular guitar. I love it a lot. And if you can afford a second Profiler so you can run the electric part through one of them and the acoustic (piezo) part through the other one ... woooooow. Can be so nice, really. Sadly I don't have the one with MIDI. But I can imagine this being pretty interesting as well. :)

+1 with the Parkers. I have a Parker Maxxfly, those guitars are so light it feels strange when you *wear* them.
    Mine weight in at 2.8 kg. I have a SG at 3.2 kg and a strat at 3.6 kg, believe me, those missing 0.800 kg make all the difference !
    I've read some Parkers weight in at 5 lb (2.27 kg) , I can hardly imagine how it feels.

• If you're going for a new PC, I can recommend http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/cust…tal-audio-workstation-pcs if you're in the UK (and it sounds like you are with the talk of pound notes :) )

Another thing to throw into the mix - are you happy with your studio monitors? And how about sound treatment? Boring, yes. Able to make everything sound better? Also yes :)

As to the guitar, that's hard as you'll get 100 different opinions :) I got a PRS Stripped '58 a year ago and love it to death. It's a lot more versatile than you'd think a Les Paul clone would be.

• +1 with the Parkers. I have a Parker Maxxfly, those guitars are so light it feels strange when you *wear* them.
    Mine weight in at 2.8 kg. I have a SG at 3.2 kg and a strat at 3.6 kg, believe me, those missing 0.800 kg make all the difference !
    I've read some Parkers weight in at 5 lb (2.27 kg) , I can hardly imagine how it feels.

The Fly Deluxe are lighter because of the basswood/poplar combination. Sound-wise, I still prefer the Mojos.

• You probably have the acoustic treatment you need, so I'm not going to suggest that (or did I just suggest that...??)

Some good suggestions so far.

What about something completely different? Like a course / education of some kind? Just throwing out a completely different idea. You won't be able to resell it, but hopefully it will retain it's value, and maybe it could be something that could improve all your gear (or use thereof). I seem to remember you have an education within the audio field, but maybe something different - or something immersive?

• Hahahaha some great (and funny ;) ) suggestions!

Room treatment : you can (almost!) never have too much bass trapping, however I'm pretty used to my room now and have a decent amount. Plus, if I'm ever dissatisfied with a mix, I can always cross-check it at work (I'm a sound engineer in the post-production world when I'm not wearing my cape and tights with undies on top). I swing between studio gear lust and guitar gear letching, but right now I'm digging the axes (no pun intended!). I like the idea of a course, but Im afraid I won't get the time between full-time work, kids, and crime-busting by night...

OK, so Guthrie Govan and Parker on the list. Check! I recently acquired a PRS Starla (my first proper PRS) and I'm quite enamoured with it, so I should probably check out their other lines, too. Thanks!

Travelling's not a bad idea, actually. The family needs a good holiday, but that wouldn't be tax deductible, so it'll be ice creams in the park again this year, haha! Maybe I'll need that spoon off you after all, Andy ;)

Cheers,
    Sam