Disposable income : what to buy...?

• You can never go wrong with a killer quality acoustic. Is that whats missing from the Sambrox studio?

I've been on the lookout for particular used Collings, Santa Cruz and Bourgeois models for over a year now but sadly I was born with a severe physical guitar purchasing disability (I'm left-handed), so the hunt will be a long one. I have no doubt it will be worth it when the stars align though. Maybe you dont need to rush into a purchase. Sometimes the wait is worth it.

If it has to be new, maybe have something custom made? Many fantastic luthiers out there making insane quality instruments. Also, the price has always been more reasonable than I expected when I've made inquires with various builders.

Oh, and I agree with paults on the "used" aspect whole-heatedly. I haven't bought a "new" guitar in forever.

• On serious note, I'd buy a Tom Anderson Strat-a-like guitar. - I had the privilege to play one recently, and was absolute fantastic in every way... since then I've been gassing for one..... and is now on my own "wanted" list...

You could buy some amazing studio monitors for home?

Treat your family and your kids first though.. then me, then you.

Be well fella

• If you are considering a true midi guitar option, the Fishman Triple Play is wireless, extremely acurate, and only $400.00 including a suite of soft synths. The FTP features near flawless tracking of Midi data. Also, there are 3 FTP internally equipped guitars currently on the market, Fender Strat FTP, the Godin Custom FTP, and Godin Montreal FTP.

If you are thinking more along the lines of a modeling, system, the Boss GP-10, is about $500.00 including the GK pickup. This unit opens up individual string tuning options, emulations of acoustics, various electric models, etc. effects and amps, ( although I prefer the KPA's effects and amp sims), and midi output, ( although not as acurate as the Fishman Triple Play).

Very small expenditures for the features included.

• GAS is an infamous beast.
    Thanks CK, the amp GAS has an official cure, but no one sti has found thre way to stop it in other stuff.
    I'd say that it becomes more aggressive on the guitar/fx/studio gear sides since the amp one is over :D

Seriously: i'd save the money OR i'd buy a vintage strat (probably you can get some beauties from the early '60).
    It's the exact mid way between gas and investment :D

• Lots of food for thought.

Hadn't actually considered an acoustic. I have a Lowden that's been with me for 20 years, had the headstock broken twice, got two huge cracks that run along the body, but it still sounds fantastic. However, the damage has taken it's toll on the playability front, so maybe I should look in that direction, too (incidentally, I just moved across from DK's main Collings importer. Could be dangerous, haha!).

New monitors, yes! I'm a sucker for studio gear, and would love a pair of KH310s (or budget willing, Barefoots!). If I go that route, though, there'll be nothing left to appease my guitar lust...

As for retirement, I'm planning on being dead before then! Seriously though, I get an ok pension through my day job, but the sensible thing would be to keep it for a rainy day, agreed...

As for the Fishman Triple Play system, I actually ordered one of the Fender Strats, only for the supplier to have so much difficulty getting hold of one that I cancelled the order (took over two months of waiting!). Maybe I'll revisit that idea too, as as you say, they're pretty cheap, and I do have use for one, once in a while. Thanks!

Great stuff, chaps. You're all very helpful!

Cheers,
    Sam

• As I got some money to spend for equipment, I tested all guitars to test out here... I was looking for the ultimate axe for me:
    the Guthrie Govan Signature from Suhr... you can get one in the Custom Shop... or find one at some dealers.
    Since then I am happy... Suhr and Kemper - nothing more on stage, in studio or practicing at home.

And of course, some good acoustic guitars: check out "Furch Guitars" from the Czech Republic... best guitars! I own three different modells - the best sounding guitars, I´ve ever played.

Good luck!
    Mario

• Lot's of love on this thread for Parker's, so I'll chime in with an added endorsement.
    Been playing them for over 12 years now and they remain my first grab.
    Look for the USA models with the stainless frets if you can.
    Of course your other guitar choice selections are admirable too.

Congrats on your windfall residuals.

Happy Kemper

• Congrats Sam on the surprise return!! Small business trip, weekend getaway, for the family which would be a write-off since you were scouting equipment to purchase for the business.. Family 1st doesn't mean you have to spend the most on them just put them first. IMHO :thumbup:

• As I got some money to spend for equipment, I tested all guitars to test out here... I was looking for the ultimate axe for me:
    the Guthrie Govan Signature from Suhr... you can get one in the Custom Shop... or find one at some dealers.
    Since then I am happy... Suhr and Kemper - nothing more on stage, in studio or practicing at home.

Yup, I also have a Suhr GG signature and it's wonderful. I can't imagine a more versatile and great sounding & playing instrument.

• Fishman Triple Play, Spectrasonics Trilian and Omnisphere 2, Toontrack EZ Drummer/Keys, and new interface if you need it, Mac with Logic. These are things that excited me beyond the KPA and new guitars. Software and computers are real bang for the buck. Oh and a few new mic's for your acoustics. You need a concert classical guitar too, but plan on $4000 for a decent one. After obtaining all of this, be sure to post some music on Soundcloud so we can hear the results of your G.A.S..

• If you buy any guitars - I suggest buying vintage or used guitars that will always be worth as much (or more) than you pay for them.

Amen to that !

Get yourself a great vintage guitar, and you can be sure your money will still be there when you once take the decision to sell it, (what you won't do, if it's the right one for you)

I've been through a lot of gear, and the keepers were classic instruments like old Strats, Teles and Gibsons....they just shine !

just my 2 cents...

• I think it's sad to buy a guitar thinking that you could sell it in the future. Isn't it? ;(
    Unless you are a mere collector who keeps intact your axes in a showcase...

• I think it's sad to buy a guitar thinking that you could sell it in the future. Isn't it?
    Unless you are a mere collector who keeps intact your axes in a showcase...

well sometimes you change your mind, and sometimes a guitar becomes obsolete because of any reason, and then you sell it... can't see no sadness here.
    it's sad when it stays in the case and nobody plays it...

• I just ordered the Logidy UMi3 (even though the Kemper Remote will most likely do the same thing). I needed it for the Fishman TP for sending CC messages. Inexpensive and comes with a software looper that looks nice. Yet another thing to hold me off until the Remote and a looper/remote option.