Kemper KPA vs. Axe-FX II (Yes, another one...please read!)

• Well according to mbrown3 latest post he hasn't made a decision at all ;)

Really? it was pretty clear to me that he decided to get a kemper and an axe8 if they don't set a way too distant release date. Otherwise he's going to get the axe 2 (or at least that's what i got from reading his conclusion). Nothing wrong about that, and he's saying exactly what everyone seems to know for a fact: if you need effects? axe, if you want more accurate tone with a bit more responsiveness? kemper.

(Not that i care to defend him tho, but his decision was pretty clear to me :D)

• That's funny...again here's an excerpt of his conclusion

"So, at this point unless I hear that the AX8 won’t be out for two years or something, I’ll probably wait for that to release. If it is going to be a while before it comes out, then I’ll probably go with the Axe-Fx, simply based on the effects capabilities."

• My understanding is that he's gonna go with some flavor of Fractal, either ax or rack...?

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Wow...23 pages of a discussion that leads nowhere. Who's feeding the beast more? mbrown3 or the rest of the community (now including me too)? Come on guys, time to let this thread die.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Nothing wrong about that, and he's saying exactly what everyone seems to know for a fact: if you need effects? axe, if you want more accurate tone with a bit more responsiveness? kemper.

Still dont get, why one needs effects, if they have an accurate amp ;)

(dont take this too serious...)

• That's funny...again here's an excerpt of his conclusion

"So, at this point unless I hear that the AX8 won’t be out for two years or something, I’ll probably wait for that to release. If it is going to be a while before it comes out, then I’ll probably go with the Axe-Fx, simply based on the effects capabilities."

My bad! i wasn't aware that the AX8 was a full axefx pedalboard (when i glanced at it some weeks ago i assumed it was just the fx blocks of the axe in pedalboard form factor)... then yup, i see your point and stand corrected :)

Still dont get, why one needs effects, if they have an accurate amp ;)

(dont take this too serious...)

+1. I do have a kemper instead of an axe haha.

• The irony of this 23 page long thread is that the OP just stated stuff that was already put out by forum members in the beginning of this thread.

I understand why some of the members seem to smell something fishy. No love for the new $2000 Kemper you bought. Already set to trade it in. No new outcomes from the debate, just the same old justifications that members on the forum stated, stated again.

How about my conclusions: the Kemper seriously rocks in terms of east of use, tone that is unbeatable and a constantly evolving feature set. Tone over FX, that's how I look at that contest.

I'd say 10-1, most users won't use all the FX in the Axe. I couldn't even do it with my GT-8. Sure, screw around with them, then what? Better to have stuff that has real world applications. Not to say the Kemper can't be improved, but I have a feeling it is on the to-do list in terms of stuff like more FX variations and slottable delays.

• Not to keep this dragging on or anything, but in one of your original posts you talked about wanting to replace your amps if you could find tones that matched well enough. Did you, then? And did you try profiling them with the Kemper (it's called a Profiling Amplifier for a reason, haha; to not even investigate its primary function before passing judgment wouldn't be very scientific ;) ) ?

Cheers,
    Sam

• Amstrad! :)

Yeah I was going to say this reminds me of the Sega Genesis / Megadrive VS Super Nes debates in the 90s. And then guess what, Sega started making games for Nintendo, Sonic and Mario appeared in games together. Hey, even Noel Gallagher and Damon Albarn are performing together now. Who knows what the future holds...... Haha.

• Yeah I was going to say this reminds me of the Sega Genesis / Megadrive VS Super Nes debates in the 90s. And then guess what, Sega started making games for Nintendo, Sonic and Mario appeared in games together. Hey, even Noel Gallagher and Damon Albarn are performing together now. Who knows what the future holds...... Haha.

We are already there: a KEMPER Remote with delivery delays like the AXE 8 ;) The best of both worlds?!?
    (Just joking)

• I find absolutely licit that the OP makes all the possible evaluations and reasoning before spending so much for a preamp, and asks as many questions as possible wherever there are people in the know. And where else can those people be more easily found? :)

Also, it seems absolutely clear to me that many members here (sad to say) just feel their nerves touched whenever the Profiler is called into question, specially if the reference point is the Axe-Fx.
    Doesn't the fact that people on the FAS forum reacted the same way ring any bell? Haven't we always claimed that "we are better"?

Furthermore: it doesn't matter whether the OP was already inclined towards one of the two, it's quite normal that a person has got an idea to start from but needs to check it on the field. With his first-hand experience on both he's now able to make an informed choice.

TBH, I find it distasteful that we cry lese majesty every time the Profiler is criticized. I'm also surprised at seeing how much effort someone here is putting into trying to demonstrate that the OP is trolling.
    The only guilt I can find in the OP is his naivety, by not expecting we are basically two bunches of sharp spinsters.
    Sorry, I'm aware it sounds harsh but this is exactly how many people on the Fractal forum (and sadly many others here) behave. I felt I had to state it.

Peace :)

To the OP: be happy with whatever you feel helps you make better music and have more fun, it's just a f###ing bunch of cards and circuits!

• @viabcroce
    I don't see people being overly pro Kemper

It may be more of a- what was all of this for again.
    Everything has been said.
    In the end, his final verdict was pretty much the general consensus already known and what he was told from the beginning.

He just long winded the whole deal again to come to the same two to three sentence conclusion.

I guess he has a LOT of free time to build these wall of words, on two forums ( at least that I know of).

• @sambrox

Not to keep this dragging on or anything, but in one of your original posts you talked about wanting to replace your amps if you could find tones that matched well enough. Did you, then? And did you try profiling them with the Kemper (it's called a Profiling Amplifier for a reason, haha; to not even investigate its primary function before passing judgment wouldn't be very scientific ) ?Cheers,Sam

I have to agree with Sam. Nothing more to say other than good luck and best wishes on your never ending search :thumbup:

• Btw, in your conclusion section of the lengthy last post you did @mbrown3 you said that your choice is the Axe...so with all the back and fourth and your proclamation for the Axe you flip flop back? I don't get you and yes, your posts are exhausting to read as they are not leading anywhere...

I don't understand what you are saying. When did I flip flop?

• Really? it was pretty clear to me that he decided to get a kemper and an axe8 if they don't set a way too distant release date. Otherwise he's going to get the axe 2 (or at least that's what i got from reading his conclusion). Nothing wrong about that, and he's saying exactly what everyone seems to know for a fact: if you need effects? axe, if you want more accurate tone with a bit more responsiveness? kemper.

(Not that i care to defend him tho, but his decision was pretty clear to me :D)

Almost. AX8 if it's out in the near future. If not, Axe-Fx II. The reasoning IS due to effects, since I use reverb and delay a lot and don't want to have to use an out-board effects unit.

• The irony of this 23 page long thread is that the OP just stated stuff that was already put out by forum members in the beginning of this thread.

I never disputed those things. But reading them and experiencing them are two different things. Forgive me for not taking the word of random people on the interwebz. I should have known that all info you find on the interwebz is completely accurate and no one should bother to find out for themselves.

Ironically, many of the same folks said, "You just have to try them for yourself." And then when I do that, those same folks say, "Why did you bother trying them for yourself? We already told you that."

I understand why some of the members seem to smell something fishy. No love for the new $2000 Kemper you bought. Already set to trade it in. No new outcomes from the debate, just the same old justifications that members on the forum stated, stated again.

First, "no love"? Did you even wrote what I wrote about it? Second, I didn't buy the Kemper. I borrowed it from a studio I found that had one. No need to trade it in; I was going to have to give it back one way or another.

How about my conclusions: the Kemper seriously rocks in terms of east of use, tone that is unbeatable and a constantly evolving feature set. Tone over FX, that's how I look at that contest.

I didn't hear any drastic difference between the tone of the two devices. Perhaps that was true at one point, but both sounded really good. I also don't understand the separation between effects and tone; effects ARE part of the tone for those who use them.

I'd say 10-1, most users won't use all the FX in the Axe. I couldn't even do it with my GT-8. Sure, screw around with them, then what? Better to have stuff that has real world applications. Not to say the Kemper can't be improved, but I have a feeling it is on the to-do list in terms of stuff like more FX variations and slottable delays.

I won't use 8/10 either. I only use reverb and delay (for the most part), but as things sit right now, those effects on the Axe are better.

• Not to keep this dragging on or anything, but in one of your original posts you talked about wanting to replace your amps if you could find tones that matched well enough. Did you, then? And did you try profiling them with the Kemper (it's called a Profiling Amplifier for a reason, haha; to not even investigate its primary function before passing judgment wouldn't be very scientific ;) ) ?

Cheers,
    Sam

Yes, I did. And they sounded remarkably accurate. But I WAS able to pull up tones on the Axe-Fx that sounded darn close as well. Not as close as the KPA, I agree, but for my purposes, there wasn't that much of a difference to outweigh the effects (for which there was a big difference).