The next logical step? Cab Profiling

• Hey everyone!

The idea: The Kemper Powerrack/-head sends its weird noises from the speaker output through a miced cabinet. The mic/preamp/mixer-signal goes back to the return input. The Kemper makes a (cab+mic)-only-profile, which you can merge in the same way as the new direct profiles.

Pros: The cabinet and micing is often a crucial part of the sound, which can make more differences than changing your amp. Therefore it would be nice to get its own sound as precise as possible.
    Also you wouldn't need another amplifier than the Kemper to make a cab profile.

Cons: Don’t we have it already? We’ve got the studio profiles (amp+cab+mic) and the direct profiles (amp only). Now you can "subtract" those by using the cab from the merged profile. [ (amp+cab+mic) - (amp only) = (cab+mic) Bingo! ;) ]
    But would that cab sound the same as one from a (cab+mic)-profile?

You see I’m not sure if that step is really needed, but I wanted to share the idea. Let’s see where the discussion leads us! :)

Greetings
    Stefan

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

Edited once, last by malleus ().

• The issue is that a cab interacts slightly with the amp, so I don't see how any "pure" profile could improve matters. Now if it were possible to separate the mic from the cab somehow and be able to control either it's location virtually or turn it off completely and get something closer to the raw amp output in the room through frfr or studio monitors, now that would be ace. But you'd have to have some sort of calibrated reference mic and mic pre from Kemper I imagine for that to work.

• There are spies from Fractal Audio in these forums and they just stole my idea :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

• You're right, it isn't new to make IRs/Kemper cabs. But the idea was that the Kemper can make those as a standalone-unit and now that's pretty much what Fractal has implemented here ;)