Forum ban feature

• Well, from time to time someone tries to sell or tell things unrelated to Kemper here on the forum. I don't really know what they try to sell or tell because I usually don't read these posts (usually don't even open them). In most cases I never see these posts again. They probably get banned (or deleted or whatever) or they just disappear because nobody is interested in them.
    The other thing that some people seem to dislike here and that makes them call for moderation or even censorship is when members show "inappropiate" behaviour like lately in that Kemper vs Axe thread. People then ask for banning those inappropiate members or for ignore buttons etc.

Guys, it's really easy, all the required functionality is inside your brain. You wish to ignore someone or something? Just do that!!! Just don't read what they write. If you can't do that maybe it is because you're actually interested in what they write!?
    HTH 8)

• Well, from time to time someone tries to sell or tell things unrelated to Kemper here on the forum. I don't really know what they try to sell or tell because I usually don't read these posts (usually don't even open them). In most cases I never see these posts again. They probably get banned (or deleted or whatever) or they just disappear because nobody is interested in them.
    The other thing that some people seem to dislike here and that makes them call for moderation or even censorship is when members show "inappropiate" behaviour like lately in that Kemper vs Axe thread. People then ask for banning those inappropiate members or for ignore buttons etc.

Guys, it's really easy, all the required functionality is inside your brain. You wish to ignore someone or something? Just do that!!! Just don't read what they write. If you can't do that maybe it is because you're actually interested in what they write!?
    HTH 8)

While I agree with you in general we have to realize that the ability to restrict yourself or refrain from posting in these threads to not fuel further such heated debates hasn't exactly become swarm intelligence yet and I doubt it ever will be.
    So it is like in real life (of course, forums are a part of real life ;) :( moderation has to happen in conflicting situations.

• There is a "report content" button. It appears at the bottom right if you hover over a post, or behind the menu button at the top right of the post if you're browsing on a small screen (between "quote" and "like").

I assume the forum software has a banning feature and the mods will use it if the situation warrants it.

The ability to restrict yourself or refrain from posting in these threads to not fuel further such heated debates hasn't exactly become swarm intelligence yet and I doubt it ever will be.

Ingolf, very well put. The wisdom to not feed the trolls may be fairly widespread (and mrs-zambesi is right: the functionality is right there in our brains), but the trouble is that the whole swarm has to work together to let a pointless discussion die out, and something like that is hard to coordinate. Ideally it should "emerge" without prompting, but sometimes, a moderator with banning power is just a more realistic solution... :rolleyes:

• The thread I was specifically referring to (without mentioning it) went very good for the first 5 pages. It was informative, showing the will to help. Everything was fine. But from somewhere on page 6 it went down ... imho due to some less than unnecessary comments. There was a point or 2 where the discussion got aggressive. or at least aggressive replies were to be expected from there.

I do not like these aggressive (flaming and insulting) posters, no surprise there.
    But I don't like those either, who took the thread in an inappropriate direction as well. Why must the Kemper Forums be a place to flame 3rd party products and staff? Isn't there enough other places on the web to express personal issues? Are all the other readers supposed to be to stupid to simply get their own impression and experience? Do we really need some to repeatedly stir in a can of worms that nobody wants here?

I don't get it. Just stick on topic and do not destroy another (new) user's valid request for help.
    The result of what happened in this thread is ... One more person thinks that this place is just as crazy as the other place might be.
    Even if the intention was good, the very opposite was achieved.

Now back to my topic here:
    Sometimes I wish there was a bit earlier intervention from mothership. And I wouldn't even mind if the "intervention" would be slightly more effective in some rare cases.

• I would like an option to ignore a user: hide any message of this user, and hide any message containing a quote of this user. Would be great !

There's a "block" option when you visit a user's profile page. It's an icon in the form of a circle with a diagonal line through it. If you're browsing on a small screen you have to click/tap the menu button first.

I've never used it myself but I assume it does what you're looking for.

• There's a "block" option when you visit a user's profile page. It's an icon in the form of a circle with a diagonal line through it. If you're browsing on a small screen you have to click/tap the menu button first.

I've never used it myself but I assume it does what you're looking for.

Doesn't work unfortunately, tried on a certain individual here but still see all his tedious posts :(

• I think in the case being refered to, G String got it spot on. Like everything in life it's the few rotten apples that can and do spoil it for everyone else. Maybe if someones behaviour is so offensive to other members some kind of petition could be instigated to have that person booted off. At least that way it would be an in-house method that keeps the mothership above accusations of censorship and heavy-handedness. Also the person starting anykind of banning petition would have to have a very good reason. Case in point sailed very close to the wind, but was it close enough?

• It is becoming a well developed scientific inquiry that human violence is less genetic and more situational and contagious.

One of the best ways of minimizing this is to treat it like an infectious disease. There are flaming individuals who are "nodes" that foment bad feelings that bait others into responding. They need to be quarantined until they stop their verbal abuse.

It's human nature for some to feel compelled to respond back such attacks.
    Everyone has their level, and at some point, without moderation, it can reach a critical mass.

I don't know how nuanced the moderators are in English, but there are ways of saying things in a passive-aggressive or suggestive manner that are highly offensive but read as innocent if read literally. Every language has this capability. And I have had comments directed at me personally that were meant to be highly offensive, even aimed at my family, a big "no no" in my native culture. It has often taken looking towards the more mature forum members like Ingolf and how he handled being insulted for me to develop a more mature attitude in how I handle such comments on this (and now other) forums.

So while there are "nodes" that amplify negative attacks, there are also GOOD "nodes" that pacify. But that can't entirely stop this type of behavior and so it still requires taming by and active moderator.

So far, the good part is Kemper's leadership on this forum has set a tone that is closer to a family than a coven. There will still be a few who won't fit into the culture and so need a bit of banning. Not censorship, but the inability to post when a post goes from discussion to personal attack or personal imperatives. We've got a good thing here. I'd like to see that continue, but there is no way to do that without the forum having some form of an immunity system.

• Sorry to hear some of you have been subject to some insults from other members. I must say apart from the heated thread about the remote not being stocked elsewhere I have not seen much of this behaviour here.

• Why must the Kemper Forums be a place to flame 3rd party products and staff? Isn't there enough other places on the web to express personal issues?

Well, I am one of those who easily start talking about CC & His Gang's behaviours. I only do it when the subject is pertinent tho.
    Why don't I go do this elsewhere on the Internet? Because I don't feel the urge to express those thoughts to the Internet, or to let the world know what I think. I like to talk here because I feel home. I talk to people I know and like. This is the virtual agora I attend more often, my usual hangout.

:)