Yamaha DXR10 or Bose L1 as Kemper speaker?

• Hi all ... I own a Kemper amplifier, and play it through studio monitors at home. However, starting next week, I'm going to need a proper FRFR to practice with a couple of musician friends and to play in small venues.

I have seen both the Yamaha DXR10 and the Bose L1 recommended for my use case, and also recommended as good "Kemper speakers." There are a bunch of variables such as weight, practicality, and sound quality, that come into play, and I would like to hear your opinion and experience, comparing these two alternatives. Take into account that I don't know much about (semi) professional audio equipment.

Thanks!

• I went from a EV ZLX12P to a DXR10, with the DXR10 I find I have to do no tweaking from venue to venue and the sound to me is consistent with the FOH sound. After experimenting I prefer the DXR in an upright position off the floor. During sound check I leave the DXP off so I can hear what is coming out of the FOH then will power it on for my stage volume. I have never heard any of my bandmates say they can't hear me, volume wise I am usually in the same ballpark anywhere we play. I have a pair of the DXR's and we also use them for band practice mains, I just run the XLR out into the board and the sound is good. In addition the DXR is lightweight and has a nice handle for carrying. I have heard good things about the Bose but cannot comment on that since I haven't used one.

A Bose L1 can be Marshall stack loud with a Kemper and electric guitar

Have you heard a Marshall dimed?!! Its funny my experiences are opposite yours. Granted the BOSE system is very loud for what it is but compared to other PA systems it is.. shall we say small sounding. And compared to a Marshall stack dimed.. lol!

• y only point of reference for Bose is the original L1, with a single subwoofer. I've never played through the newer versions, but there is nothing boxy about mine. I use mine set flat in the mids and treble, with the low end slightly pulled back on the Bose remote. I gain staged the KPA output to avoid clipping the Bose Input. and control the overall volume with the Bose Remote.
    And, I didn't say "a Marshall stack dimed". Sure, I know how loud that is - I have a lot of experience with Marshalls. And, that top 4x12 cabinet used to take the top of my head off :)

You know - your band would never appear in any venue, inside OR outside, more than once if you try to do that - those days are long gone - LOL!

My live rig used to be two Silver Jubilee heads in stereo with two matching Jubilee 4x12 cabinets. On festival stages, I ran them with the Master on 10, and the Gain channel just shy of "5". That was more than enough to fill my side of the stage, but still be in the PA ;)

I still have one Silver Jubilee head and 4x12 cabinet. I used it at a summer gig when we opened for Nightranger (I used it instead of the Bose - it seemed to fit the spirit of the gig), and the Marshall at "5" was no louder than the Bose is at "4", did not throw as wide, and had a slightly flabbier low end onstage than using my regular KPA Rig of the same amp and settings, profiled with an SM57 and a condenser mic. That is to be expected, though. When they miced the amp with a 57 at the show, the PA would would not have had that issue.

• My Bose L1 is the small mono line array with integrated sub woofer called the L1 "compact". It is great as a small PA (for audiences up to 100 people or so) and I run the KPA through it with vocals and rhythm guitar with some bass cut on the KPA.

With the L1 behind us on stage as our main PA I do not need a separate floor monitor for the KPA. The sound is clear and well balanced and the whole thing weighs about 25 lbs and is assembled in a few minutes.

At home I can use the L1 in the collapsed position as a practice monitor. For close proximity it needs to be collapsed or there is too much separation between the sub woofer and the upper line array speakers.

If you are looking for a dedicated onstage floor monitor for your KPA I would, however, consider the DXR10 both in terms of purpose and price. I base this on other members favourable reviews of the DXR10 as I do not have one.

I suspect the L1 compact would not work so well as a floor monitor. It is not designed for that purpose even in the collapsed position, although it has plenty of volume and clarity. Probably there would be too much sound dispersion as the tiny line array speakers cover a 180 degree horizontal sound field.

I think it depends on your specific needs. The L1 is a marvellous small PA that can handle the KPA tones effortlessly. You should definitely try both before you buy. Best of luck

Paul

Edited once, last by PCB ().