Are you using a guitar cab w/ the Kemper? Tell me about it.

• 3.0 has opened a lot of possibilities for me, being able to have a direct profile to a guitar cab while sending full range to the FOH. I've been experimenting with my 50 watt Fargen tube amp, going into the FX return, then a 2x12 w/ Celestion G12H 30 watt speakers. It sounds amazing.

The plan is to re-profile my amps and OD pedal combinations directly, to build a library that can be used w/out speaker emulation into the guitar cab.

While the Fargen sounds fantastic, it big and heavy. I'm sure it is coloring the sound by nature.

I want to go to a SS power amp....but something that a 60watt guitar cab can handle. Thinking about the Camplifier 2x180 (should be roughly 90 watts into my 16ohm cab). It's expensive, but I don't mind paying for the convenience of having just the Kemper lunchbox and a cab. I am also considering the far cheaper EHX Magnum 44. I think the Magnum is supposed to act like a tube amp, compressing and distorting as you crank it. May not be a good thing for my application.

Unfortunately, I do not own a SS power amp to compare to the Fargen tube amp. I would hate to spend so much on the Camplifier, only to be underwhelmed.

What are your guys thoughts? If you are using a guitar cab? What have you tried? What do you like?

• Well, I just ordered the Camplifier 290. I hope it works out...still it seems like something worth having, and has enough combinations of ohm to watts to make it very flexible using different guitar cabs. I think in that respect, it's a better option for me than the powered head.

• Im experimenting with a single 12 EVM (cab off) from monitor out

and stacked on top a CLR w (cabs on) main out...blending the two...best of FRFR and standard guitar cabs

sounds like a lot of stuff but once i get my toaster a 3rd party power amp it will be quite simple to set up

...see my avatar

• ISP Stealth -> 2x12 cab w/G12H and G12h30 (30th and 75th ann)

One word: AWESOME!!

I'm sure the Camblifier would be no different. It's more the profile you choose vs speakers used.
    I've had good luck with MBritt profiles not needing much if any tweaking live (I think he tweaks them for live already)
    But I've been able to tweak TAF profiles w/o a problem. Just a tad back turn of the knob to the SHIFT parameters and I'm done.

• just played out last night for the first time with the kemper running into real cabinets. i did a quickie 45 minute set a couple of years ago straight to FOH and hated it.

i'm a feel junkie, it's gotta be accurate for me to be comfortable. i gave the ISP stealth a try, but i felt like there wasn't enough juice on its own for me. i also do not think i like the totally transparent power thing. i ended up with 2 quilter tone block 200s running into EVM 12Ls. sounded good. i had 3 hours and 30+ songs to tweak, and here's what i discovered...

first of all, i used a gordius little giant to control from my feet, with one exp pedal hooked up to volume. at first i decided to set up performance mode and assign individual performances to each song, with effects loaded in place for each spot pertaining to the song, yadda yadda. took a bunch of time, and it's just not how i play! i'm used to having one pedalboard with the stuff i need on it, and then grabbing what i need for when i need it. i like to experiment even live, so i tend not to do the same thing twice. before the gig even started perf mode was out. when 3.0 came out, i profiled 3 of my favorite amps and went to the gig.

the quilters are loud. i play with another guitarist and an 80s infested drummer with 9000 drums. i did not mic myself. the quilters did well for me - the transparent thing didnt seem to give me the 'oomph' factor i'm used to feeling when playing a tube amp. also, i can run the quilters full out and have them be silent enough to just use the master volume on the kemper to keep things dialed in. i like simplicity, especially with all these lights. there was a top end thing going on at first for me, but it was quickly relieved by some tweaking at the tone block's contour setting.

speaking of which, the contour knobs on the tone block have a 'middle of the road' bit of the dial that is supposed to be closer to transparent. i have not AB'd them against one of my flat response power amps, but i will very soon.

i was VERY apprehensive to play out all night with no real amp. it turned out much better than i had anticipated. the last time i tried the modeler + power amp + cab thing was maybe 4 years ago, with an axe ultra -> mesa 50/50 -> v30s. sounded great at home - did not cut live. ironically enough, having a solid state amp this time was definitely better in the 'feel' department, though i did have to move my second cab around to hear myself after a bit (the crowd thought levels were fine, so i didnt want to mess with that!).

the real trick is getting the gain to power ratio right. all of these modelers are doing a great job perfectly replicating (profiling?) amps in the studio. now we have this direct profiling stuff, and we know its very very close to how the amps react to begin with - so why does it tend to turn to shit live? i think it's because we're used to our amps pushing a certain amount of air depending on how angry we need them to sound. i'm learning you need tons of headroom out of solid state preamps to achieve this - and that i need to figure out how to utilize every bit of this headroom to make it really work!

other comments: the EVM12Ls are not really my favorite speakers in the world. yes, they are fantastic, but they are a little dated sounded in the midrange department for me. i only used them because i have 2 1x12 cabs, and the wattage capacities made me feel safe about my first gig with 2 200 watt solid state things that i have no experience with! will try a seventy/eighy and v90s next. cheers.

• I use a Kemper Powerhead + THD 2x12 with stock speakers This cab sounds really good, kind of halfway between a closed back 4x12 and a regular 2x12, which I think is excellent with Kemper as you can get convincing sounds for a lot of styles, from say Fender Deluxe or Vox AC30 to Marshall and Mesa. In addition it's really lightweight but sturdy and high quality with no rattling whatsoever. Looks good with the Kemper as well :)

For my purposes, a perfect live cab.

• I'm using a Port City 2x12OS with a WGS Veteran 30 and ET-65. It's powered by the poweramp of my Marshall JVM and fed by the monitor out (master left). Main out (master right) goes to an Atomic CLR. You get some nice stereo action with it...especially with an ABY-Box in the loop so you can turn on each side individually ;) Using the looper of the Remote you can doubletrack yourself :D

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

• I'm using the kemper with a mesa 2:90 simul class and two 2x12 V30 based speakers. so far awsome but curious to check 3.0 that will give me a whole lot world. only problem is that 3.0 is totally unreliable so far, although it has been declared release. I'm running 2.7.3: stable as a rock

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I'm using a beat-to-shit cheap-ass HB 2x12 cab with V30's. It's powered by an equally cheap-ass Crate Powerblock. Monitor Out -> RCA in on the PB (bypassing the EQ, volume and gain controls.) It sounds god darn awesome, I've got no plans on changing anything.

• When I want to use a guitar cab or want to travel light I use an Ambrosi ATM-68 through a Dragoon 2x12" Celestion Century Neodymium. This rig is quite versatile, has got a lot of volume and headroom, and I do not run the risk to burn the cab (68 W\ 4 ohm) :D

• I use a Kemper Powerhead + THD 2x12 with stock speakers This cab sounds really good, kind of halfway between a closed back 4x12 and a regular 2x12, which I think is excellent with Kemper as you can get convincing sounds for a lot of styles, from say Fender Deluxe or Vox AC30 to Marshall and Mesa. In addition it's really lightweight but sturdy and high quality with no rattling whatsoever. Looks good with the Kemper as well :)

For my purposes, a perfect live cab.

I've got a stock THD 2x12 also and like it for the same reasons that you mention. I haven't gotten my Profiler yet, but I'm glad to see someone else gives using the THD with it a thumbs up :)

• [quote='GregGibbs','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/18942-Are-you-using-a-guitar-cab-w-the-Kemper-Tell-me-about-it/?postID=210482&#post210482']Ambrosi with a Port City 1x12with WGS-65. Sounda pretty great[/quote]....... how long have you had the ambrosi amp ? & how long did it take to be built & shipped ? that is if you don't mind answering :) did you get the ATM-70 ? I am waiting on the ATM-70 right now ,thanks , roger

• I've got a stock THD 2x12 also and like it for the same reasons that you mention. I haven't gotten my Profiler yet, but I'm glad to see someone else gives using the THD with it a thumbs up :)

Another happy THD 2x12 cab user here too. Actually, you can see two them in my Avatar pic. Nice neutral sounding cab that sounds bigger than it's physical size imo, and is pretty light to move around which is awesome. I like them so much, at one point I actually had 3 of them!

• I've installed a G12H75 into the box of a Bugera V5 amplifier recycled into a cab. That small amp comes with a 10 inch speaker, but I could never find a tone that I like; I noticed that it's just the size for a 12 inch speaker if you take out the chassis, and replace the grill cloth front. This was my february workshop, and I'm so happy, I like the real cab tone much more than the studio monitors tone!

• I'm kinda using a guitar cab. It's the Tech 21 Power Engine. It has the stock Celestion in it. It's VERY loud and sounds and responds very much like an amp to me.

My name is Chris & I'm a guitar-a-holic!