OK Testing FW 3.0! [How Kemper works? All amps sound similar]?

• all my samples are reamped :D

I was talking about the Jevo clip you posted! Any differences in that clip can be attributed to any number of things, as it isn't the same guitar part reamped, but replayed. That rules that clip out from any scientific comparison, is all I was getting at (plus the lossy mp3 encoding!).

Cheers,
    Sam

• First, if you have differences in some clips and no difference in others - then there are differences, period. They just don't always happen - for various reasons.
    You know, perhaps better than most, what difference a cab/mic/preamp combo can cause - and that still has different interaction between poweramp and cab, which the Profiler assigns to the amp section, even with the newer FW.

Second, looking at your list...
    333XL, 6262, Trirec, Fireball, 5150, Alligator, D-Rec, 5150, 6505, Satan, V2...
    All 5150 variants, some closer than others.
    The Hector, X100B, Triamp, GH100, Ironheart and actual Marshalls are all JCM variants.

80% of your list are variants of two different amps. When push comes to shove, most well known amps are variants of one another, circuit-wise and therefore also gain-structure-wise.

You see this as a limitation of the Profiler, i see this as a valuable lesson in electronics. I don't think you'd get different results by plugging the preamps into the same power-section, cab, mics and pres.

I do agree that more flexibility in poweramp-dynamics would benefit the Profiler greatly, but that's the only thing missing, for me.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• @Quitty first comparison for You :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Stay Metal!

• Well, the I5 on the Mesa cab easily takes the cake, as far as i'm concerned. No real competition.
    That wasn't the point, though, was it?

The point of a comparison is to compare one element when all other variables are dismissable.
    That means you need the same mic and same mic location for all three cabs.
    What you've proven here is that it is technically possible to achieve a similar sound by modifying mics and angles - the first two cabs are similar-ish.

Maybe i missed your point, though?
    I'm waiting, patiently :)

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• That means you need the same mic and same mic location for all three cabs.

That Means my next move is 5 different direct amp profiles (5 amps from) but this time recorded with the same cab mic and mic pos :D

BTW
    Why its not comparison for You? I compared the same Direct Amp profile on 3 different real cab and 3 different microphones.

Stay Metal!

• I'm gonna do a 100m sprint with three contestants to measure the effect different shoes have on their speeds.
    One contestant is tall, the other never ran in his life and the third is a Nobel prize winner.

If one of them wins, what information have i gathered on the shoes?..

If you show me that 3 direct amp profiles through different cabs have a similar gain structure while the same three amps through the same three cabs, mics and positions don't -
    then we have a valid comparison.
    When everything is equal apart for the Kemper's gain structuring, then you can learn about Kemper's gain structuring.

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• dont gei t! :D For you all direct amp profiles of differents amps sound different on the same cab with the same mic and mic pos? Yes? For me almost the same.

First - I recorded for You The same Direct Amp Profile of Peavey 6505 through 3 different cabs,micsrophones and mic pos.
    Second - I want record for you 3 different kemper direct amp profiles with the same one cab mic and mic pos. Thats all - and then we can talk again. What create more different sound - different kemper direct amp profiles or maybe different cabinets mic and mic pos used. Simply? or still not? :D

Stay Metal!

• You're going to show me that while having three different cabs makes the profiles sound different,
    having the same cab/mic combo makes different amps sound similar.

That's not a bad test, and a pretty interesting claim - but i don't think it's what you set out to prove. It compares the Kemper Profiler to itself.
    If you now try a 6505, 5150 and a 333XL through the same cab, i'd expect them to sound very similar, through the Profiler or otherwise.
    If you toss the Satan in, maybe the Profiler just doesn't capture that particular amp well.
    Maybe the similarity in 'gain structure' you're hearing is due to your preamp and not the Profiler. Maybe it's Youtube's downsampling :)

It may sound like i'm trying to excuse the Profiler - i've no intention of doing that, i'm actually pretty interested, however -
    correct me if i'm wrong, but what you wanted to show was that the Profiler has a distinct 'gain structure' while the actual amps vary. It's not something that the amps do, it's the fault of the Profiler;
    So i'd expect your test to include the actual amps and compare them to the Profiler.

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I think that it's pretty normal to ear similar sounds coming out from very high gain amps (basically set for metal) passing thru the same cab and being filtered by the same mic.
    Neverthless i'm still hoping for a deeper profiling mode, which can take into consideration the tonestack and the different behaviors of the amp with different gain levels.

P.S: happy 1000 post to me! :D

• Ok i dont have more time for this :D I have my own opinion - and You also :thumbup:

Different kemper direct amp profiles on the same cab and mic and mic pos: http://www.brickwall.pl/realcab/

I have new killer amp to profiling :thumbup: Peace and Love!

Stay Metal!

• You know what, I agree with sinmix 100%. The only "problem" i had with the profiler pre-fw2.8 was that different amps through the same CAB sounded almost the same (if they had comparable gain obviously). I was led to believe that with the release of the FW3.0 this problem would be solved. Well, from what merged profiles I've tried so far (sinmix, deadlight, thumas etc), the problem remains. The CAB part of a profile ALWAYS contributes A LOT more to the final sound than the AMP part.

I think the test to determine if its a general occurance or Kemper-specific, would be to record three REAL amps on the IDENTICAL real-cab and mic setup, and then compare the results to their three kemper direct amp profiles on the same (kemper) cab.

I have personally never done such a test (nor am I able to), but when plugging my evh 5150 and my mesa mark iv in the SAME cab (evh 2x12), their "in the room" sounds (ie no mics) are VERY different. With the profiler....not so much. So maybe the variable contributing the most could be the MICS? I dont't know...

I think the test to determine if its a general occurance or Kemper-specific, would be to record three REAL amps on the IDENTICAL real-cab and mic setup, and then compare the results to their three kemper direct amp profiles on the same (kemper) cab.

I can do this :thumbup:

BTW Real AMPS The same Cab mic and mic POS

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So maybe the variable contributing the most could be the MICS? I dont't know...

Well, IMO NO! :D For Me Kemper like every amp has its own unique sound - no matter what amp is profiled certain % of the sound can be heard in each profile - ok i hear it :D.

Another Samples Kemper Direct Amp profiles on Real Cab this time 5153, Savage, Bogner XTC - Mesa cab and single sm57: http://www.brickwall.pl/bogner/

Stay Metal!

• i still remember those old days when there where some users complaining about how kemper sounded with a real cab and a power amp(strange frequencies, not clear seperation).Remember the days with the cab driver. There were suggestions to use only di profiles or pre amp profiles which also led to unsatisfactory results .I also remember the answers that these users were getting. :"Noooooo it sounds like a dream.....wonderful, there must be something wrong with you or your power amp etc."And then suddenly we all accepted the fact that something didn't work properly.