LED fix?

• As many of you are aware, there are a few first build era KPA's out there that have an issue with the rotary knob LEDs dying.
    I know you can send the unit back to Kemper and they will repair the issue for you. Unfortunately, that is a cost I can't afford at the moment.
    It's not a serious issue, as my KPA still functions and I still love it. It's just a little niggle. You spend a considerable amount of money and want the unit to be perfect.
    As I (like many people), use my KPA for my business. I'd rather not be without it for 2 weeks of more.
    Does anyone know if this is an issue I could tackle myself, as my KPA is not in warranty and I have a good, solid knowledge of PCB's & micro electronics.
    I know that sounds like a silly statement, as if I have knowledge, why am I asking?
    Just wanted to know if the KPA is easy to open / repair or should I keep saving for the repair?

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Pro Tools 2019, Logic X, Cubasis pro 10.5, Kemper unpowered toaster, Champman ML2, USA/UK Custom Fender Strat. Livewire Studio. :thumbup:

Check out : http://www.livewirestudio.co.uk

• Good question. Since it is out of warranty and you have an idea of what you are doing, I'd maybe try to open it up and see how difficult it looks. But as Damian says, you need the correct led. Maybe Kemper would be willing to tell you what it is. But be aware that maybe the LED is only a symptom of something being amiss elsewhere (I seem to remember that the issue of LEDs dying came not from the LEDs themselves, but something else).

Wasn't there something about extended warranty on the LED issue? I would definitely contact Kemper about this first.

• But be aware that maybe the LED is only a symptom of something being amiss elsewhere (I seem to remember that the issue of LEDs dying came not from the LEDs themselves, but something else)

I think you are right. When you send your KPA back to Kemper they not only change the burnt out led, but they also change something else (don't ask me what...) so that you will never heve the same problem in the future. I hope so... because my KPA is now in Kemper Labs for the same issue... ;)

If I were rpl16a I would open a ticket. Kemper stakk know that this is a bug of first built units and I think they could repair it for free. Of course he has to pay the shipment and has to live 3-4 weeks without his unit... ;(

• Good question. Since it is out of warranty and you have an idea of what you are doing, I'd maybe try to open it up and see how difficult it looks. But as Damian says, you need the correct led. Maybe Kemper would be willing to tell you what it is. But be aware that maybe the LED is only a symptom of something being amiss elsewhere (I seem to remember that the issue of LEDs dying came not from the LEDs themselves, but something else).

Wasn't there something about extended warranty on the LED issue? I would definitely contact Kemper about this first.

This!
    They may be the other reasons why the leds dying(or just not flashing). Propably they are drived with DAC + some diodes and resistors+ transistors(or by dedicated IC). So there are more elements that could fail.

• The Kemper has a three year warranty, and this is a covered issue.

I suggest contacting Kemper for the repair (they replace more than individual LEDs). Is Bedford in the USA? Mine was a less than two week turnaround, including shipping time.

Buying LEDs would cost you more than getting the repair. And, if you were to make a mistake, you could be without it for more than two weeks, and it would no longer qualify for warranty repair.

• The Kemper has a three year warranty, and this is a covered issue.

I suggest contacting Kemper for the repair (they replace more than individual LEDs). Is Bedford in the USA? Mine was a less than two week turnaround, including shipping time.

Buying LEDs would cost you more than getting the repair. And, if you were to make a mistake, you could be without it for more than two weeks, and it would no longer qualify for warranty repair.

I agree with this. I had 2 toasters with this issue. It didnt cost me a dime. The first one was about a week and a half. The second time it happened I wasnt without a Kemper for one day. Sweetwater sent me out a new one and after it came I shipped out the defective one. I would contact either Kemper or the place you bought it from. This is a known defect and Kemper will take care of it in a timely matter.