FW 3.0.0 10856 People Doing Direct Profiles ......... I need you help please !!!!

• Hi all !

Am running 3.0.10856 with *FANTASTIC* Direct profiles from Thumas and MB and TAF in to my real 2 x 12 Cab ...... seriously ....they sound more real than real if that makes sense :)

Anyway .... so I figure, Ive got an awesome EL84 Matchless DC30 Ceriatone DZ30 Clone - I'll Direct profile that ....... honeslty, now I can do it direct, how hard could it be :)

First attempt

Using an ArtZDirect DI with -40db of pads - sounded terrible as it turned out I had a faulty DI - terrible fuzz / fizz / crackle / distortion etc.... . Took it back and it was replaced with a Behringer Ultra G - dealer checked it for me before I took it and it was/is working fine ... popped in a brand new 9v Duracell and away I went ........

Second attempt

Profiling worked fine - no terrible fuzz / fizz / crackle / distortion etc..... BUT it sounds TERRIBLE ..... dull, lifeless, weird-mid-range-tones/slight phasing etc..... %100 nothing like my original DZ30

Levels were fine ..... no amber let alone red signals ...... monitored and checked via my real cab etc....... all connections are correct .... DZ30 speaker out to DI - Link Out to Cab - DI Canon to Kemper ....... wasn't doing any speaker mic'ing but Im not interested in "merged" profiles ........its doing everything PERFECTLY but is sounding TERRIBLE ?!?!?!?!?

.... HELP !!!

-> does the Kemper just not like EL84 amps ?

-> is 3.0.10856 simply not useable for Direct profiling ?

-> those of you that are doing Direct profiles that work and sound correct ..... how are you doing it with 3.0.10856 ?

Really shouldn't be this hard ....... should it ?

Ben

Edited 4 times, last by benifin ().

• first,
    I removed the the bold setting and the huge fonts you used here and there. CAPS LOCK also isn't nice.
    reading this post was like someone screaming in my ear...

please explain how you had the Profiler, Amp, DI Box and Speaker connected and make sure the Speaker Sim is not activated on the DI Box.
    Also make sure to use proper speaker cable from Amp -> DI Box and DI Box -> Speaker

• Firstly - my apologies - all bolding / sizing / formatting / coloring / "yelling" removed from my op. :)

In point form, here is what I have done:-

- Ultra G with Cab Sim Off
    - Ultra G with. -40 db pads On

- amp is a DC30 / DZ30 30w head running with master at. ~ 12.00 so probably putting out. 20w <-> 25w during the profiling process
    - guitar in to front of Kemper with a known good guitar cable
    - Kemper Direct Out to front of DZ30 amp with a known good guitar cable
    - Amp is set to 16 ohms to match my 16 ohm cab
    - Amp 1/4 speaker out to Ultra G IN with a known good speaker cable
    - DI. " Link " to real speaker cab with a known good speaker cable
    - DI " Canon Out " to Kemper rear Canon In with a known good Canon-to-Canon Mic cable
    - set the DI to -40 db
    - I then get my Amp sounding as I want
    - I then pull up a "close'ish " / "similar'ish " rig
    - go to Profiler
    - get the levels right from Kemper to Reference - all nice strong green - no amber or red
    - start profiling
    - I don't adjust any of the tone settings in step 2 or 3. [ can't remember which ]
    - the spaceship noises work
    - I refine the profile with some hard picking / strumming
    - save the profile
    - disconnect the profiling wiring and reconnect to normal Kemper-to-Matrix-Cab
    - bring up the new saved profile
    - as expected Cab is automatically off - turning it on or off makes [ as expected ]. no differences this is not a merged profile
    - listen to the new profile
    - it sounds terrible - nothing like the real amp / dull / lifeless / very muffled / mid sounding etc....

Clearly I must be doing something wrong as other. - Thomas, MB, TAF - have done and posted Direct profiles that they [presumably]. Would have done the exact same way and theirs sound brilliant.

I am using. 3.0.0.10856. -but- had the same/similar problem when doing the same process with 2.8 Beta with the "hidden". Direct profiling option enabled.

As tylerhb mentioned maybe its too-much "padding" although I would have thought that would have simply resulted in a "quieter" / "no so loud" profile ?

Then again, as I think about it, given the DI is already padding the signal down to line-level [or whatever its called] maybe it doesn't need -any- padding at all ?

All suggestions / ideas would be genuinely appreciated.

Ben

• Could you post a sound clip with direct from KPA and direct from your amp?
    BTW. I don't believe that EL34 is the case:)

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought that EL84 tubes would respond differently to "direct" profiling as compared to 6L6's / EL34's / KT66's etc...... but then again, its strange that [ so far ] 2 people are reporting the same " issue " -and- there are no EL84 Direct profiles that I am aware of ?!?! :) ....... not withstanding of course that it is -very- early days for 3.0 Direct profile ......

Question please

When doing 2.8 / 3.0 direct profiling, do people here leave their DI output set to " 0 db " -or- do you set it to -20db and/or -40db -or- some other " -pad " db range ?

Ben

• Just did some very nice DI Amp Profiles with my ENGL 860 Rackhead, which also uses EL84 Tubes. Pretty sure that a certain tube type would genereally produce problems.

0 db will probably clip your DI... Since the GI-100 has a LED clipping indicator you can check it. I always run it -20 db.

• Just did some very nice DI Amp Profiles with my ENGL 860 Rackhead, which also uses EL84 Tubes. Pretty sure that a certain tube type would genereally produce problems.

0 db will probably clip your DI... Since the GI-100 has a LED clipping indicator you…

Hey all

Just re-did the profiles with the DI set to -20db - signal was fine [ 0 db was just to strong ] - Profile signal was nice and strong.

The bad news - the resulting profiles are still bad - they have a distinct woody/wooly mid-range bump ...... just not good ... no amount of eq'ing can fix it .......nothing at all like the actual amp [ when played back via my real cab ].

Best way I can describe the resulting profile
    ..... imagine the original amp sounds like a proper 16 bit / 44lk audio file ......where as ...... the resulting profile sounds like an 8 bit / 22k audio file ..... no fidelity, clarity and very merky and muddy ?!?!?!?

I'm basically %100 sure I am doing everything properly and that everything is wired fine ...... got me beat ?!?!?!?!?!?

I know and understand that mic'ed profiling is very hit and miss relative to mic placement, pre's etc ...... but ....... on paper at least, Direct profiling could not be easier ....... very frustrating ....... maybe it is a FW 2.8 / 3.0 issue that will be fixed in the soon-to-be-released FW update.

Then again, there clearly are other here who are getting great Direct profiles.

Very frustrating ....

tylerhb ..... did you do your Engl Direct profile from the speaker out ? or Pre Out ? did you do it as a merged [ simultaneous mic + direct ] profile -or- just Direct only ?

Ben

Edited 5 times, last by benifin ().