Kemper midi automation thread

• Thank you so much Robrecht for the great tutorial!

I just received the Cymatic LP-16 that I'm going to use to play our backing tracks and control my KPA (In the near future also some other midi devices that our band has in use).

I have one question regarding the midi files that you use with Cymatic to control your gear. I'm using Logic X to create the backing tracks and the midi track. The weird thing is that the length of the files with .wav and .midi are different. Let's say I bounce (export) the wav tracks from Logic and the duration of the song is 3:45. Therefore, the duration of the wav file is 3:45, naturally. Now when I export the midi track, the duration is always shorter than the audio file. Why is that? Anyway, it seems that the Cymatic is changing presets as it should, but I don’t understand why the midi files are shorter.

In Logic project the length of midi files is exactly same with the audio, so the duration should be the same. I create the midi file my going to Menu and from there selecting “Export selection as a midi track”. Is that the right way to export the midi track?

Just to clarify, I created the audio & midi tracks like in this video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Excellent! :) (Sorry for my late reply, I've been on holiday for two weeks and then working overtime to catch up with work for three. :whistling: )

Now when I export the midi track, the duration is always shorter than the audio file. Why is that?

I get that too and in my case, I think it's simply because the midi file ends at the last midi command. After all, a midi file is just a list of messages with time stamps. If you have a preset change at 2:15 and no midi messages after that, that will be the final message in the list, so the midi file will be reported as being 2:15 long.

Anyway, the LP-16 takes the length of the song from the .wav files (specifically, the shortest .wav file), so even if the midi file is shorter it will still keep playing.

• I have to say that the playlist editing functions are very disappointing, now that I have used the LP-16 for couple of days. Is there any way to re-arrange playlists or do I always have to export new playlist to the memory stick? I was hoping that I could load all the possible backing tracks to the memory stick and create & arrange new playlist based on those files with utool when needed. Now it seems that I always need to have those wav-files available on my laptop when creating new playlist. Or am I missing something?

• Hi I have just ordered a 10€ foot switch (Lead Foot FS1) at Thomann for the LP16. I keep you updated.

Interesting. Yes, please report how it works. We have it set up next to our drummer who presses the play/stop buttons (and some songs automatically transition into the next one), but the footswitch could be a good option.

I have to say that the playlist editing functions are very disappointing, now that I have used the LP-16 for couple of days. Is there any way to re-arrange playlists or do I always have to export new playlist to the memory stick? I was hoping that I could load all the possible backing tracks to the memory stick and create & arrange new playlist based on those files with utool when needed. Now it seems that I always need to have those wav-files available on my laptop when creating new playlist. Or am I missing something?

You're right, the editor leaves a lot to be desired. Honestly, I usually just edit the playlists directly in a text editor (Windows Notepad will do). They're simple XML files so there's not much that can go wrong.

This is how they're structured:

If you want to add a song, just copy a section from <song> to </song> and change the <name>song title</name>. The <location> tag can stay empty; <time> is only used if <mode> is wait_period. If you want to create an entirely new playlist, just copy the file for an existing one under a different filename, and change the tag <playlistname>. Here's a manual from the Cymatic forum.

It's definitely not ideal, but pretty quick and direct...

• I don't understand on Ableton how to write programme changes vs command changes

do I need two different midi tracks to do each?

I haven't done this in Ableton for a while, but as far as I remember, Program Changes are tied to individual clips. So, for each Program Change you should create a separate midi clip (either in Session mode or in Arrangement mode). In the clip view, in the Notes Box, there's a section marked "Pgm Change" that has a "Pgm n" value (where "n" is a number). Set "n" to the Program Change value you want, and this will be sent out every time the clip launches. I don't think you need to do anything with the "Bank" or "Sub" values.

[Blocked Image: https://ableton.zendesk.com/hc/article_attachments/205077069/midi_prgch.png__289x210_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg]

For Control Changes, go to the clip view again and enable the Envelope Box (by clicking on the small "E" button in the bottom left). There, select "Midi Ctl" in the top drop down menu, and then the CC# you want to control in the bottom menu. You can then draw the values in the notes window.

• I haven't done this in Ableton for a while, but as far as I remember, Program Changes are tied to individual clips. So, for each Program Change you should create a separate midi clip (either in Session mode or in Arrangement mode). In the clip view, in the Notes Box, there's a section marked "Pgm Change" that has a "Pgm n" value (where "n" is a number). Set "n" to the Program Change value you want, and this will be sent out every time the clip launches. I don't think you need to do anything with the "Bank" or "Sub" values.
    [Blocked Image: https://ableton.zendesk.com/hc/article_attachments/205077069/midi_prgch.png__289x210_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg]

For Control Changes, go to the clip view again and enable the Envelope Box (by clicking on the small "E" button in the bottom left). There, select "Midi Ctl" in the top drop down menu, and then the CC# you want to control in the bottom menu. You can then draw the values in the notes window.

Ah thanks man this is perfect! some knowledgeable cookies on this website.

• chiming in to let everyone know that i am running Cubasis 2 on a latest gen ipad. i am sending midi over bluetooth to the yamaha wireless midi adapter plugged into the back of the KPA...it has worked flawlessly everytime i have ever booted it all up.........Monty

• Hey guys, been trying to control my Kemper via midi for quite some time now. Can't seem to get the dang thing to work. I've read the entire forum but have a few questions.

First of all where in the Kemper do you find Control Change number and how to do you actually go about changing them? I'm not sure I understand what these actually do.

I'm running Ableton Live 9 and am trying to sync my show to my Kemper as not to use a pedal board to make things easier since we are changing arrangements in real time during the show.

I also have logic and have been trying to get it to work through there to no avail. I'm using a cakewalk um-1g usb to midi interface directly into my laptop. It shows up in my DAW but I can never get it to actually change anything on the Kemper all that happens is a little icon blips beside the profile creator name in browse mode.

• Hey @Calebhurst, you need to send PC messages to the Kemper in order to change profiles. You use CC to turn on and off effects, change volume etc.

Are you transmitting from your laptop on the same channel that the Kemper is listening on?

• Hello @Calebhurst, check my second post in this thread for an overview of PC and CC numbers. They're also in the manual!

If you aren't already using Performance Mode, I would advise you to do so for live use. It allows you to arrange profiles in groups of five with quicker switching between those five. Also, in Performance Mode, you can use CC#50-54 to switch between profiles within a performance rather than Program Changes.

• Hello @Calebhurst, check my second post in this thread for an overview of PC and CC numbers. They're also in the manual!

If you aren't already using Performance Mode, I would advise you to do so for live use. It allows you to arrange profiles in groups of five with quicker switching between those five. Also, in Performance Mode, you can use CC#50-54 to switch between profiles within a performance rather than Program Changes.

I get PC Changes, I get what. #CC changes i need to use to change profiles within a performance, but I have no idea how to programme #CC changes on Ableton! is it literally just an envelope automation? doesn't seem to work for me, I have to use programme changes

• You should find them in the Envelope section of a midi clip (click the tiny circled E) rather than in the automation parameters list of a track. Select a CC number then automate it within the clip.

Or try my Kemper device for Max4Live (see thread here), which exposes the relevant CCs for automation right from the track view. I have to admit I haven't used it in a while as I now use a different workflow for automation, so I hope it still works. :)

(And of course, make sure your midi track outputs to the correct midi channel etc.)

• You should find them in the Envelope section of a midi clip (click the tiny circled E) rather than in the automation parameters list of a track. Select a CC number then automate it within the clip.

Or try my Kemper device for Max4Live (see thread here), which exposes the relevant CCs for automation right from the track view. I have to admit I haven't used it in a while as I now use a different workflow for automation, so I hope it still works. :)

(And of course, make sure your midi track outputs to the correct midi channel etc.)

I think the midi output is set correctly, I mean the Kemper responds to programme changes so I assume it must be?

• Tempo Automation via Midi CC30

Hey Fellas,
    recently I switched to fully sync my Kemper to our click/backing tracks (via Cymatic LP16 Sample Player). Everything works like a charm. I only use one Performance and switch slots and FX via Midi CCs. Everything works like a charm...
    The downside is: The Cymatic Player can't do Midi Clock. The smart ass I am [Blocked Image: https://www.facebook.com/images/emoji.php/v7/f4/1/16/1f60f.png] thought "why not send Midi CC30 to simulate the tap switch on the remote". Voila works ok for me (1-2 bpm difference to the original tempo). But since a few days it doesn't work that well anymore (I didn't changed a thing).

Sometimes it gets the bpm value and a few seconds later it raises up to 265 bpm. Even the tap on the remote doesn't work anymore.
    It appears to me, that it constantly receives some dirt from the midi track whick fucks with the Kemper.
    Here's the Midi Output & how I set up the bpm lane in Cubase.
    Trust me, I tried everything but nothing works.

Anyone with the same experience?

To be honest, i doubt to get a solution to this special problem,
    but at least I have to try.

Cheers, Markus.