Building a case, proper space requirements for powered rack needed

• Hi, I'm about to build a case for the Power Rack KPA, and I wonder if I could:

1. remove the rubber feet, and put it firmly on a flat surface (plywood) without taking care of the vents on the bottom

2. do the same with the top side?

I noticed that the powered units get warmer than non powered KPA's, so what's the recommendation as far as clearance on top and bottom goes?
    Would the vents in the back be enough for heat dissipation?

Rene

• Think about building a 4 HE Case and put the KPA in the center. You will have better access to the knobs, better aeration for the KPA and you don't have to modify the KPA's Rubber feet.

zuviel thread macht blead

• I use a 3 U rack case and I've never had a problem with ventilation or the Profiler overheating (it's never been more than mildly warm, even after several hour shows). My case is a Proel shallow one and there's enough space for the KPA to not touch the bottom of the rack, even though I haven't removed the feet.

Cheers,
    Sam

• I use a 3 U rack case and I've never had a problem with ventilation or the Profiler overheating (it's never been more than mildly warm, even after several hour shows). My case is a Proel shallow one and there's enough space for the KPA to not touch the bottom of the rack, even though I haven't removed the feet.

Cheers,
    Sam

Hi Sam - mines a Swan Flight case and it wont go in the bottom 1U without removing the feet. I think Rene was thinking of covering the bottom flush, which would block the bottom vents almost completely. I don't think that's a good idea with the powered head as there doesn't appear to be any heat sink and the only airflow is convection from bottom vents out through back ones. Mines often on 8 hours or more and the top does get warm to touch. Nothing like as warm as some of my valve amps mind, I can fry eggs on my Grandmeister :D

Steve