Live monitoring through headphones issue

• Dear Fellow Forum Followers,
    I am having some problems using the headphone out as my IEM source when playing live.
    I take a stereo line out from the mixing desk, through a basic stereo headphone amp into the Kemper via the Return and Alternative input sockets on the rear panel. I also plug my phone in this way to rehearse to recordings of my band's set.
    I have unlinked the Main output volume from other volumes to keep that constant at the desk but still find it difficult to balance the monitor volume in my headphones with the guitar that is simultaneously being fed to the headphones from the Kemper .
    This resulted in the Kemper guitar level drowning out the monitor signal coming from the desk at the gig.
    Am I doing something wrong? What should I do to ensure that the two
    signals are more balanced with a very slight bias toward the Kemper guitar (a 'more me' mix).
    I am also using Headphone Space on the headphone mix as I have unlinked the main out volume . I think this means Headphone space is only present in the headphone output of the Kemper and not the Main out. Is that right ?
    I've looked for a thread about this but can't find anything. Surely I cannot be the only user using the Kemper as an IEM mixer.
    Can anyone shed light in this for me?
    Yes I have read the manual but I am still unclear about how to achieve a good balance.
    in anticipation of a swift and simple solution.
    Kinfd Regards
    Pre-Amp
    P.S. This is my first thread so I hope I am doing the right thing here?
    :)

• I see. Thanks for your reply. I am aware that I could feed the mix directly to my phones from the headphone amp. However, this gives me less control over my guitar level in that mix.
    Due to the limited nature of our mixer, there are only two stereo outputs that could drive headphones, the headphone output and a Utility out. Both require the main faders to be set to get a decent mix. Effectively the outputs are identical to FOH mix.
    There are two Aux outs but these are used to send two wedge mixes for singer and bass player. These are pre fader and independently controllable.
    Perhaps I'll just get the mix from the headphone amp. Though mixing more guitar in through the kemper is what I'm aiming to do better. It must be possible to get a good balance this way.
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp

• I use the KPA to mix my monitor signal and guitar to go directly out the headphone jack into IEMs.

sounds like you have the cabling hooked up correctly.

Im taking the monitor output from an Aviom monitoring system which has an overall volume control so blending that signal in is pretty easy.

go to the output section on the KPA, page 5.
    aux in>headphone is where you control the level you are mixing in with your guitar signal. So this is the monitor or phone level.

aux in>main I have set to 0 as I don't want the monitor signal going back out the KPA main.
    you would raise this if you wanted to mix your guitar and phone backing tracks and have one feed to the FOH.

output page 2 headphone volume is where you control the overall level to your IEMs and kind of like the master guitar level to your ears.

hope this helps.

sean

• Hi Sean,
    Thank you for your reply. It is helpful. I use a Behringer headphone amp to boost the signal coming into the Kemper. I do mix as you suggest, but no matter how I mix it, the guitar coming through the headphones directly from the kemper frowns out the monitor feed coming in.
    i suppose I'll jus have I suppose I'll just have to keep adjusting it . I just wonder if I have something volume linked that might cause the problem.
    Thanks again for for your help.
    Pre-Amp

• What kind of signal are you feeding into the Kemper? Not sure why you need an amp to boost the signal, line level should be fine.

i would start with getting your guitar level where you want it in the IEMs. Do this with the aux>headphone level all the way down. Then slowly bring up the aux>headphone level to taste.

if you can't get the guitar level where you want it straight out of the KPA something may be up with your IEMs. What IEMs are you using? I keep my headphone level at -29 and get plenty of signal from the KPA/guitar.

sean

• I don't mean to sound dismissive, but it sounds like you need a new board (with 6 aux mixes/channels) or a new sound guy (that has a board with more aux mixes.)
    In the days of smaller clubs, lower stage volumes, IEMs, and amp-less stages etc. , everyone in the band having their own mix is essential.

• Hi
    I am using a pair of Skull Candy Titans which I've pushed into some self moulded silicone ear moulds. Not expensive technical stuff just off the shelf self mould earplugs. Works quite well.
    After your last message I twigged that setting the guitar level in the phones first would be better.. I'll try that next time.
    I don't gig that often. so I'll have to make sure I give enough time to setting this up carefully!
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp

• Hi,
    New mixer? Errrrrm £££'s. A bit of advice. Free! Sound guy? Not likely.
    We do our own sound and have learned a lot recently. We mix the whole band from a 12 channel mixer. That works fine.
    I just want to fine tune my Kemper set up so I hear myself better.
    Keys, drums and guitar all use in ears.
    The other two are quite happy.
    I'm being a bit of a perfectionist!
    Also the mix output is stereo, not all Aux mixes are stereo, even on new desks.
    I think Sean has helped me get my head round it all.
    Thanks for chipping in though, always good to hear other's points of view.
    Have a great day.
    Pre-Amp

• If you ever do decide to go the route of a new mixer, consider the QSC Touchmix 16. It's a 16 channel board that has 2 stereo aux mixes that can power headphones and 6 other aux mixes. So it's capable of 5 stereo mixes. It's the size of a laptop and each band member can control their mix from an iPad. I think they are developing a phone app as well. It cost half of what a KPA does. I'm thinking about getting one myself.
    My band uses a presonus board, but the mixes are mono, but it works great, stereo would be awesome though.

• Hi Khaki_Lackey,
    Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a cool mixer! I think it will be new wedges for singer and Bass player's monitoring first!
    I'll look it up though as I am sure we'll be in the market for a desk in due course.
    Played through an Allen and Harris qU16 at a festival last summer.
    The sound guy nearly died when he saw the output coming from my Kemper. At that point I hadn't realised that I could unlock the Main output! He did a good job managing the input sensitivity! On his desk.
    It was a good sound on stage and out front.
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp