How is Auto switch from volume to wah supposed to work?

• I have recently got the remote and bought an expression pedal to go with it.

I had already read about the ability to set the expression to be volume when not using wah and then be used for wah, but what I didn't realise is that even when the wah is not engaged the volume feature is not automatically used.

In other words, if a rig does not have a wah in the effects section the pedal works as volume, but when the rig has a wah in the effects section EVEN WHEN IT IS NOT ON then the expression only works for wah and not for volume.

That doesn't sound right to me and not as I expected it to work.

Can somebody clarify for me please. I tried searching, but you have to use at least 4 characters for the search and 'wah' is 3(!)

• I had this problem as well until I figured out what was wrong.

As stated above, check the wah to vol in the system menu, as long as the wah is not active, the volume pedal should work if you check that box. here is the info from Page 42 in the Kemper Reference Manual:

Link Pedals
    If you do not want to bring three pedals to a gig, but would still like to benefit from all these features, you can link the pedal nodes to suit your setup. This way you can leverage one physical Wah Pedal for several functions. You will find two simple soft buttons in the System menu on the page “MIDI Settings”.
    If you don’t need a dedicated Volume Pedal, press “WahPedal to Vol.”. Now, when a Wah effect is active on the current Rig, the Wah Pedal will act as expected, and a Volume Pedal function will not be available. However, in any Rig without an active Wah effect, volume can now be controlled by the Wah Pedal. Even when a Wah effect is active, but has “Pedal Mode” set to “Off” or “Touch”, the Volume Pedal link will still be in operation.
    The Profiler automatically prevents volume dips when switching from a “Wah Pedal” Rig to a “Volume Pedal” Rig, so you will need to reset the pedal after the Rig change by first pressing it to toe position. Once you have done this, you will be able to smoothly fade the volume back to where you want it.
    Likewise, you can link the Pitch Pedal to the Wah effects by selecting “WahPedal to Pitch”. In contrast to the Volume Pedal, you must first reset the Pitch Pedal by pressing it to heel position after a Rig change.
    The link settings are global, so you don’t have to reprogram your Rigs individually. You can decide spontaneously, from gig to gig, how many pedals you want to bring with. The appropriate settings are done in seconds.
    It is even possible to link both pedals functions to the Wah Pedal. In this case, the Volume Pedal has the lowest priority: active Wah or Pitch Pedal beat the Volume Pedal.
     Once the Volume Pedal or Pitch Pedal is linked to the Wah Pedal, they cannot be accessed by their respective MIDI controllers or pedal input destinations.
     We do not support the swapping of pedal functions by switching a Wah effect on and off, as this would cause problems. Besides, you’ll get a better result by selecting one of the dedicated “Pedal Modes” that automatically activate the Wah effect as soon as you move the Wah Pedal.

• Well, I do have that box ticked on page 9 of the system settings and it is not working.

If you don’t need a dedicated Volume Pedal, press “WahPedal to Vol.”. Now, when a Wah effect is active on the current Rig, the Wah Pedal will act as expected, and a Volume Pedal function will not be available. However, in any Rig without an active Wah effect, volume can now be controlled by the Wah Pedal. Even when a Wah effect is active, but has “Pedal Mode” set to “Off” or “Touch”, the Volume Pedal link will still be in operation.

It appears that the word 'active' is not used correctly here. If the wah is available on the rig, but not active I cannot use the volume function.

Other rigs without wah work fine and the wah works fine when it is engaged.

Perhaps this is a bug in 3.0.1?

• I am not very good in english - but for me the last bullet point is contradicting the whole text above.
    I have a similar problem - however, switching works, but ONLY if I have the volume of the volume-pedal below zero... This sounds like a bug to me...

• Well...the beauty of the current Kemper approach is: You do not have to waste one of the 4 expression buttons on the remote to switch the wah on. Just move the pedal and it works. When you're moving the pedal the software can not detect if you want to have wah or volume. Hence, Wah is always on when it is present in your rig.

Workaround: In performance mode store different rigs. One with one without wah.

• I've just been trying this again (to see if I can get the wah to turn on automatically as per the post above) but now it seems to work as I was expecting it to before.

So I just had a rig loaded, then I added a wah (crybaby) in slot 2. Before turning the wah on the expression pedal worked exactly as expected turning volume up and down. As soon as I engaged the wah (I linked it to the remote so I could switch it on and off) then the exp pedal did wah. The only thing I noticed was that maybe I had to rock it back and forth once to get it to start.

This seems strange and the opposite of what I experienced a few days ago. There must be something different about the setup but I can't think what.

I need to post a video I think.