Kemper FX loop probelms. Post position = signal distorting.

• Has anyone else had an issue with the FX loop causing distortion that should not be there?

Currently talking to Kemper support but was wondering if anyone else had problems with the FX loop and what was the outcome? did you have to send it away for repair? How did it get sorted etc...

Edited 2 times, last by Vertigo13 ().

• It's impossible to clip the digital portion of the Profiler's signal path. You must be saturating the D\A converter before the loop, one of the external fx or the A\D converter at the loop return. In either case, it would be a matter of levels.
    I'd try by lowering all the involved levels to 0 and progressively rising them.

If the first, you should see the output LED getting red when you exclude the loop from the path.
    If the third, it should be enough to lower the last external effect's volume.
    Otherwise, try all the pedals' volume settings, one pedal is clipping the following one.

HTH :)

• Thanks for the tip, tried everything really. Support has been taking me through a lot of tests and will hear more from them after the weekend. It will get sorted eventually I'm sure.
    Only way I can get the pedal to play nice, is to connect the main output to the pedals input - pedal output to audio interface.

Think I've gone through every parameter in the Kemper.

• IOW, even with the various volumes close to zero, you hear distortion nevertheless?

Yeah, if I minus 3 or more db in the cabinet section, I can get the delay pedal to a pretty good place. The univibe pedal on the other hand, no helping that. I've held of buying more pedals for now.
    FX loop placed before the stack section seem to take well, just not placed afterwards.

(EDIT) Actually in the amplifier and/or cabinet section: -3db to -6db for the delay pedal & -12db for the univibe pedals. This is the only workaround I've stumbled upon with getting these pedals to be distortion free with the FX loop (post position).

• Let's see what Mothership comes up to

:)

Well support got back to me, suggesting I keep backing off the level in the amplifier or cabinet section until the distortion goes away. Wish there is a better way than editing all my rigs to accommodate these settings (got 800 rigs). I guess the two pedals I tried are overly-sensitive to these things.
    Going to possibly try the Way Huge Supa puss in a day or two, to see if that takes well.

Anyone out there have/had problems with either the MXR carbon copy or the MXR univibe pedals in the FX loop (post position) ?

• Yeah, same problem here.
    I have a TC Electronic Flashback and Corona Chorus in a stereo loop after the amp stack.
    I can back off the cab/amp output to about -10 - 12 and it seems clean.
    I have to crank the rig volume +10 to compensate.
    I wish we had a send level in the loop function.

Emilio

• Yeah, same problem here.
    I have a TC Electronic Flashback and Corona Chorus in a stereo loop after the amp stack.
    I can back off the cab/amp output to about -10 - 12 and it seems clean.
    I have to crank the rig volume +10 to compensate.
    I wish we had a send level in the loop function.

Emilio

Hi, yeah support made me run through a bunch of tests and arrived to the conclusion that the pedals I'm using are overly sensitive to the send level of the profiler.
    I've gone through every parameter in the Kemper (even debug menu), and the only thing that helped was to adjust amp/cab level until distortion goes away. Oh putting a volume pedal before the external effect through the FX loop works. I assume an EQ pedal too should also do.
    Anyway these methods also work:
    {Main Output}: Off. {Direct Output}: Stack. {Aux In - Main}: 10.0.
    -Also-
    {Main Output}: Delay/Reverb wet. {Direct Output}: Stack. {Aux In - Main}: 10.0.

A person over at Innovative Music Australia (my countries Kemper distributor), wants to inspect my Kemper unit. When I have time I might send it over to him. Emilio, let me know if you have better luck! Seems we have the same problem. :)

• Any update on this? Newer Kemper user here... I love the amps but....

The kemper delays/reverbs are ok but not comparable to the H9.

The H9 or any of my analog delays for that matter sound bad in the post loop. They cause a weird clipping and have no "mojo" Pretty much eliminates being able to use the H9 post stack.

Its the same with something like tremolo on the H9...works great in the pre but clips in the post and sounds "weak"

Lowering the cab volume is a poor work around IMO and it doesn't offer the same tone. The H9 is not clipping at the input (no red light, stays green)

I guess an option could be to use it on the main output and use a DI to the PA...but it eliminates being able to throw some cool H9 effects pre stack.

Anyone running an H9 in the loop successfully?

• Im guessing there isn't a good solution. Been working more to get the effects onboard to work. It's just missing some useful things like double delays, reverse delay, etc.

• Im guessing there isn't a good solution. Been working more to get the effects onboard to work. It's just missing some useful things like double delays, reverse delay, etc.

Yeah, still haven't had the time to send it in for proper testing at Innovative Music Australia. Maybe one day I'll get to the bottom of this. Been hesitant to by other pedals for testing as for now I'm satisfied enough with the FX from the Kemper. More for simplicity sake.

• I will have a look into this.
    We see that the fx loop level might be to hot. We might have a modification with an upcoming firmware,

Wow, that would be great!
    Support mentioned something about the pedals being "overly sensitive to the send level of the profiler." Suggests backing off volume in either Amp or Cab modules FYI.
    Thanks for looking into it, appreciated.

• Can confirm this happens to me now. Only had this issue with one pedal so far. A Wasabi Reverse Delay. Even with the stack section down to -12.0 db it clips the pedal.

Works fine with a Boss Gigs Delay.

The Wasabi as mentioned above works fine pre stack.