DI-boxes suitable to create Direct Amplifier Profiles

• I tried the Live wire passive box but my profs came out a lot thinner sounding when playing back the direct prof to reference cab?

Any body else experience this behavior and find any resolutions?

Edited once, last by flcmcya ().

• Thanx! This is EXACTLY what i was searching for, because the namings confuse me. bought 2 DI boxes, will keep the best and you guys informed. :thumbup:
    But this level button, what does it do exactly? does it decrease the volume of the profiling heard in the speakers?

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 ().

• No, the Kemper's return is XLR so that is what you want for the output, not 1/4". However, I'd be concerned with the lack of a pad switch on the box you linked. For a little more money, I would recommend the Behringer GI100.

There's a 1/4" return as well as XLR :/

...immediately next to each other (in the same section) and next to Alternative Input

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Geraldo7...did you even look in the instruction manual? It is on PAGE 3 of the 7 PAGE manual.

Thanks Tritium. I could not read the Manual, because the box was still on its way from amazon. i just wanted to be prepared.
    now i have got it. It is only in english and i do not understand still. See next post.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• One setting is for Guitar Level input. The other setting is for Speaker Level input.

yeah, okay. one: but what does that mean in a language a total noobie can understand, it does not seem to make any difference, either this way or the other.
    second: this box has no level switch, meaning it is not the right one to profile my plexi, too loud. ordered one of the behringers now. with 2x20db attentuator.
    third: "If phantom power exists, the battery is de-activated". Okay. Does the KPA send phantom power?

thx

• yeah, okay. one: but what does that mean in a language a total noobie can understand, it does not seem to make any difference, either this way or the other.
    second: this box has no level switch, meaning it is not the right one to profile my plexi, too loud. ordered one of the behringers now. with 2x20db attentuator.
    third: "If phantom power exists, the battery is de-activated". Okay. Does the KPA send phantom power?

thx

Hello Geraldo7,

From page 21 of the Kemper "Basic" user manual:

Cheers,
    John

• I have read the manual before me and read umpteenth times. I have now the behringer in the line.
    but the attentuation, the 2x -20db knobs seem to have no influence at all, whether in monitors nor
    on the amp itself. where is my misunderstanding.
    is it possible at all to profile with this piece or similiar in moderate loudness? ?(

thx

• Okay, i did my first DI profiles today with those

Both worked fine and created direct profiles. Both use - if not supplied with phantom power - a battery 9V. Which is a pain in the a...fternoon in both cases.
    Because the cases have sharp edges, and it is difficult to put the battery where it belongs which i did not. :D
    So, they are still en par.
    I seriously misunderstood until today the procedure of DI profiles. It is as loud as "normal" profiling. Sambrox wrote sth so i hoped i could profile my plexi.
    I profiled a jet city which has master volumes. Both boxes created profiles which were surprisingly errrh... direct. The Jet is no world class amp at 200 Euro,
    so a positive surprise here. En par.
    While reamping a rhythm guitar track (clean, recorded via SPDIF) i began to hear a little harshness with the profiles created with no 2 that was absent when returnig to
    the other one. When reamping a little solo, it became obvious that the Behringer has the advantage in lacking this tiny little bit fizzyness.
    since i profiled absolutely the same settings (gain on 5.8) and no microphone was involved i think i will send the Samson back. But to your ears it might be the other way
    and vice versa. I cannot invest any further and cannot say whether the kemperites stuff would be even better.

so, that's it for today, ciao for now. and it is high time, that somebody makes a video explaining making DI profiles and merged rigs. cheers

• ...so, that's it for today, ciao for now. and it is high time, that somebody makes a video explaining making DI profiles and merged rigs. cheers

Hello Geraldo,

I am happy to hear your Direct Amp profiling went well.

In order to make a "Merged" profile, you need to make a Studio profile, directly after you make the Direct Amp profile...then you Merge them. The explanation below might be of some help. I wrote the following reply, in answer to a similar profiling question in another thread:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

There are three (3) basic types of profiles.

A) Studio -- This is the "normal" profile, and represents the vast majority of all the profiles out in the wild (including factory, commercial, and free). The Studio profile is a combination of the Amp and the Cabinet. In order to be able to switch (or remove) the Cabinet, the KPA has to figure out what contribution the "Cabinet" makes to the profile. To do this, the KPA employs an intelligent algorithm, called Cab Driver, which calculates and determines best approximation in order to separate the Cabinet from the Amp. It works amazingly well. However, Kemper saw opportunity to create a perfect separation, which leads us to Direct/Merged profiles, discussed next.

B) Direct Amp -- This is a profile process that employs a suitable DI box. The DI box takes the signal from the speaker output of the Amp, and sends an XLR/line level signal to the Return Input on the Kemper for the profile process. The DI box needs to have a speaker thru connection which sends the amp's high voltage/high wattage speaker level signal on to the connected guitar cabinet (a tube amp needs to be connected to a load). There is no microphone connected to the KPA during the Direct Amp profiling process.

C) Merged -- This requires a secondary step, after the Direct Amp profiling process. Immediately after capturing the Direct Amp profile, and without making any changes to the amp settings, a normal "Studio" profile is made. The KPA now has data from just the amp (Direct amp profile), as well as the combination Amp + Cab from the Studio profile. The person making the profile (i.e., the original author) then uses the MERGE function, and Merges the Direct and Studio profiles. This is now a Merged profile, which allows the KPA to perfectly separate and subtract the Cab part of the profile from the Amp. Obviously, if the person making the profile only wants the Direct Amp (no cabinet), then the second step and subsequent Merge procedure is not applicable.

--------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to the aforementioned thread: Is it not recommended to change cabinet profiles?

Cheers,
    John

P.S. -- there is a comprehensive Kemper instruction manual dedicated to Profiling, called "Profiling Guide 3.0", and can be downloaded from the main Kemper site --> Support --> Downloads. Or, you can click here: https://www.kemper-amps.com/pa…mplifier___Downloads.html

• Thank you, Tritium. Is there a way to give this post of yours a golden frame for users that come after us? :D
    I have difficulties reading manuals, but at 2AM in the morning yesterday i had understood all of this above, but you have explained it a way even i could understand. Perfect.
    One sentence - nevertheless - catched my attention especially.

Obviously, if the person making the profile only wants the Direct Amp (no cabinet), then the second step and subsequent Merge procedure is not applicable.

The terminus technicus "merged cab" confused the hell out of me. If i understand it correctly there is no such thing as "merged cab", but only a "merged" pofile, consisting
    of a DI profile and a speaker which has not necessarily to be the one the user is using. In my case i would prefer not to use the 1x12 that i have but use another speaker
    created while creating a merged PROFILE. understood? right bus here? thanks a lot and all is well in kemperland! cheers

• In fact the word "merged cab" would be the right term. In the moment when the cab profile from the studio profile is merged with the DI amp profile, the result of the calculation only affects the cab profile and replaces the pasted cab with the newly calculated one. This also means that the resulting cab profile highly depends on the amp it was created with. If you use these merged cabs with other DI amp profiles there will be combinations that just don´t work nicely while other will sound great.

• In fact the word "merged cab" would be the right term. In the moment when the cab profile from the studio profile is merged with the DI amp profile, the result of the calculation only affects the cab profile and replaces the pasted cab with the newly calculated one. This also means that the resulting cab profile highly depends on the amp it was created with. If you use these merged cabs with other DI amp profiles there will be combinations that just don´t work nicely while other will sound great.

Or in short: The merged cab replaces the pasted cab with the newly calculated one.

Understood. you guys save me time and money calling support. :thumbup: