DI-boxes suitable to create Direct Amplifier Profiles

• Hey, everyone! New kemper powerhead user over here. I'm lookong to get a direct box to make merged profiles.

I've narrowed it down to either the kemper di or the countryman type 85.

What my question is, has anybody directly (no pun intended :thumbup: ) compared the countryman to the kemper di and heard more accurate and authentic tones from the kemper di, or were they the same? The reason I ask is because I do recording and something like the countryman type 85 would be a better investment (and can get it cheaper used) if it literally did the same exact thing that the kemper di does.

If the kemper di is more authentic to the real thing, I have no problem investing in it. That's why I'd love to hear experiences of direct real user comparisons between the two.

Thanks, everyone!

Mike.

• Anybody have any experiences with the both of those? :)

I don't have experience with either. However, you might want to consider that the Kemper DI box was designed by the Kemper team for the specific and express purpose of making KPA Direct/Merged profiles. The Kemper team obviously focused on signal purity and fidelity, as well as providing the proper signal level to the Kemper Return.
    Obviously the KPA Direct Box can be used in other DI applications...but the point is that it was designed with the KPA unit's specifications in mind, from the very beginning.

Cheers,
    John

• So, not on the list yet, but on my desk though... :)

Will the Behringer DI 20 do the trick?

Should handle op to 3000W, runs a 20dB or 40dB path and in the split mode it can send a signal to a cabinet with 1/4" and XLR to the Kemper...

EBMM Luke Black Sparkle | EBMM Luke Luke Blue | Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 | Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster

• So, not on the list yet, but on my desk though... :)

Will the Behringer DI 20 do the trick?

Should handle op to 3000W, runs a 20dB or 40dB path and in the split mode it can send a signal to a cabinet with 1/4" and XLR to the Kemper...

it should work fine. I use the Behringer Ultra-G DI 100 and it has the same spec ratings.

• One interesting thing about the Kemper DI box; it is different from most other direct boxes in that the Kemper does not seem to have a transformer or active circuitry. From seeing pictures in a google search, the box looks to be maybe 12 resistors and 2 capacitors. Perhaps the reason the Kemper box works and sounds so good is it is specifically designed for the purpose, with no additional gain or circuitry other than what is needed for profiling. It's quite possible that most direct boxes are simply more complicated than necessary for direct profiling, and often added circuitry can hurt tone.

The transformers in passive direct boxes can sound poor unless they are well made, and I don't think you'll get a really good sounding wide bandwidth audio transformer in a <$100 direct box (good low level audio transformers with wide bandwidth tend to be spendy). If your direct box has a characteristic "tone", it will impose that upon the profile.

Perhaps the best low cost solution (other than the Kemper DI) would be to buy an active direct box that can handle the power and signal levels, and make sure it has full signal bandwidth, say 40Hz to 20kHz.

• Seems suitable since it has switchable attenuation. Use -40 when profiling really loud. Otherwise -20 should do. At least that is what i do when using the Behringer GI-100...

• I have just begun trying to do Direct profiles… I am using a Behringer the Ultra G GI100 and the even with both -20 DB buttons pushed in it still shows that, 'the external amplifier is too loud turn down'… I have my Bogner ecstasy at whisper (LOWEST) volume, the volume is Barely even on… Something must be wrong as I'm sure people direct profile Marshall plexi amplifiers with the volume on six or seven…
    Has anyone else experienced this? How did you fix it?
    I have the volume below the profile soft button set at -32db also…
    Maybe I am having something set on the Kemper incorrectly…?!
    This is how I have everything set up exactly
    https://m.imgur.com/a/GL74J

• Thats's strange. The cabinet is connected from the "direct link to cabinet" ? Don't forget to put the load on your amp it can be dangerous for it.. :whistling:

• Check the battery... I had issues originally with the ultra G but is working great now. Apparently it eats batteries. The return level needs to be monitored carefully too, but as you say it's not clipping the Kemper according to the output LED....

• I have been profiling different amplifiers with a microphone with some success more than others… However, I am trying to get a good direct profile and I can't seem to achieve this from any amplifier… I am using the Behringer ultra G GI100 direct box ...
    With my Bogner amplifiers, I have to use the -20 DB pad, which I understand affects the quality of the profile…
    The direct profiles I am getting are Buzzy in the high-end and lack clarity and depth… they are not fat and thick like the Bogner… None of this can be achieved by eq, definition, clarity etc. etc. etc. I have tried it all…
    Is there such a thing as a studio quality direct box that would work much better and be more accurate? I'm about to give up…

• I have been profiling different amplifiers with a microphone with some success more than others… However, I am trying to get a good direct profile and I can't seem to achieve this from any amplifier… I am using the Behringer ultra G GI100 direct box ...
    With my Bogner amplifiers, I have to use the -20 DB pad, which I understand affects the quality of the profile…
    The direct profiles I am getting are Buzzy in the high-end and lack clarity and depth… they are not fat and thick like the Bogner… None of this can be achieved by eq, definition, clarity etc. etc. etc. I have tried it all…
    Is there such a thing as a studio quality direct box that would work much better and be more accurate? I'm about to give up…

Kemper makes and sells their own DI box specifically designed for the KPA. Look on the Kemper store, I believe it is listed under "accessories" section.

• Thank you, Tritium ... I was aware that they made one also… But I had been told that all of these DI boxes were pretty much equal.
    Maybe I was told wrong…

No, you wasn't told wrong, many users and commercial sellers have used behringer di boxes with good results. If you want to be sure then check Kemper DI. If this doesn't work too then the problem it's not the di box.

• Thank you Mike, I have ordered the Kemper Di and I have the countryman type 85 DI which should be here in three days… Apparently that one is better than most all we have discussed ... We’ll see! Maybe in a month when I have a dozen DI boxes I can do a shoot out video… Then a yard sale.
    This is insane… I don’t think I have ever wanted something to work so badly…

• Yes, DLS...
    That’s what I understand also, it’s very simplified… Which could be a good thing… But I have talked to a few people in studios and they all say that the countryman is the most transparent DI box they have ever used and they swear by it, so… I will try both and see if I can get some half decent direct profiles

• Yes, DLS...
    That’s what I understand also, it’s very simplified… Which could be a good thing… But I have talked to a few people in studios and they all say that the countryman is the most transparent DI box they have ever used and they swear by it, so… I will try both and see if I can get some half decent direct profiles

agreed..big time studio guys I know always swear by the countryman for those exact reasons, especially when recording bass