DI-boxes suitable to create Direct Amplifier Profiles

• I don't really understand how that works. The device will allegedly handle speaker level up to 3000W, and presumably instruments as well, but no switch... so does that just happen dynamically based on impedance at the input jack or something? Mysterious. Anyway, we'll know in a couple of days when it arrives. I'll post my results here for the benefit of the other cheapskates LOL.

I believe the correct term here is "automagically " I can't stay completely understand this but it seems to make sense to me and I believe it does filter or step down the signal

• Don't forget the Palmer PDI-03!

As far as I can see in the manual, there is always a speaker simulation involved. The attenuator can be deactivated. The internal speaker simulation has various positions, but the filters cannot be switched off completely.

• Hmnn. Upon further investigation both the passive behringer boxes seem to be able to handle speaker level connection with the 600 having more filters. Neither seem to mention anywhere about any type of cab simulation.. They in fact seem to be touted as a multipurpose di means keyboard, guitar, amp etc.. The ultra g specifically mentions the cab sim and has an on off switch. This leaves me a bit curious as to if there is some type of sim coloring the signal or not..? perhaps an email to behringer or some reports back on results will help.

• How about the Redbox Pro with cab simulation switched off? That's pretty much what it's made for, so I guess it will do a good job!
    I'll give it a try as soon as I can. I have both the Pro and the Classic, but the Classic can't turn off cab sim.
    I also have a Samson box, so I can do a quick comparison.

• How about the Redbox Pro with cab simulation switched off? That's pretty much what it's made for, so I guess it will do a good job!
    I'll give it a try as soon as I can. I have both the Pro and the Classic, but the Classic can't turn off cab sim.
    I also have a Samson box, so I can do a quick comparison.

Yes, according to its manual this should work in what they call mode 3 "Di box mode at power amp level" while its cabinet simulation is switched off.

• Well, so far no joy with the Behringer DI-400P. First thing I noticed on reading the specs is that the 400 only attenuates 20db, whereas the 600 attenuates 20db + an optional 30db pad. I'm a little annoyed that there was no way to make this distinction on the Amazon product page - they just say that both will handle outputs up to 3000W. Maybe that just means before melting? I can't see how the output would be equivalent if the attenuation is different. Anyway...

I set things up to profile my Mesa Express as a Direct Amp Profile last night, and with every pass got the error message, "No external amp connected or volume too low!" I could hear the test signals through the speaker cab, so I know the routing was effective from the KPA to the amp, through the DI400, and into the speaker cab. The big unknown is what was coming out of the DI400's direct out to the KPA's return (via XLR). It's possible the DI400 is simply defective and isn't sending anything. I'll have to set up a different rig tonight to test that.

Meanwhile, is it possible that the "no amp/volume too low" error message is bogus, i.e. a default error message when any of a number of things go wrong? Because the more likely explanation is that the DI400 isn't attenuating sufficiently, and the "volume" is in fact too high, resulting in a return signal that is so distorted the KPA can't make sense of it. Does anyone know for certain what other scenarios might really cause this error message?

• Thanks, Deadpan. I'm using the XLR only, as it's the only direct output available on the DI400. (The 1/4" output is just a parallel tap, identical to the input, as I understand it.) After I got the first error, I unplugged any extraneous 1/4" cables , e.g. Alternative Input etc. but it didn't help.

sorry to hear this isn't working and thanks for reporting.. It seems Paul was right again about the hot signal part... Good news is Amazon customer service is great... Question is will the 600 work for those who want a cheap passive box or better to stick with ultra G

• edit - I have been playing around with some DI profiles the last few days with the Mesa CC. its lowest DI output is mic level at -30db and I am still finding that to be fairly "hot" for the Kemper.

That's a blow if your using the DI out as the output is coloured by the cab type at -30db. Can't the Kemper deal with the uncoloured line out at 4db?

Steve

• Fractal-land just delivered some DI box suggestions :D

• Suhr ISO Line Out Box
    • Pro Co DB1
    • Whirlwind Director
    • Whirlwind Direct 2
    • ART ZDirect
    • Behringer Ultra-DI DI100
    • Behringer Ultra-G GI100 (with cab emulator off)
    • Behringer Ultra-DI DI600P

Source (at 2:00):

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

• OK, so I just returned the DI400P, and I'm looking to order a replacement. I'm not likely to use this DI box for anything other than making KPA profiles, so I don't want to spend any more than I need to. I also have a suspicion that less may be more in this scenario, to the effect that the cheaper DI's, with simpler signal paths, might actually yield slightly better results. So I'm wondering whether anyone has actually used/ can vouch for the following:

Behringer DI600P ($30)
    Behringer Ultra DI DI-100 ($40)
    Behringer Ultra G GI-100 ($40)

I'm pretty sure I've read that people have used the DI-100 and GI-100 successfully. Any benefit to one over the other? The GI-100 seems like the better deal (speaker sim for free, basically) but I suspect the DI-100 might sound better.

The DI-600P is easiest on the wallet but has anyone actually profiled with one, or are we still just speculating that it will work?

• Is this any guarantee that the same DI boxes will work with the KPA, though? Based on my experiences with the DI-400P, it seems the KPA has specific sensitivities re: attenuation, etc.

Well, all of them can handle speaker level signals and don't have a cab sim or a cab sim, that can be switched off. As those are the only two points Kemper made about useable DI boxes, they should - in theory - work. But of course that's no guarantuee!

From the technical specs the DI-400P should work, too. So please tell us, what was your problem ;)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

• As those are the only two points Kemper made about useable DI boxes, they should - in theory - work... From the technical specs the DI-400P should work, too. So please tell us, what was your problem ;)

I posted the problem description (with a screen shot) a few posts earlier on this page. I can't personally say what the cause was, but my best guess is insufficient attenuation between the speaker level input and the direct XLR output. This is where "can handle speaker level signals" seems to be open to interpretation. Both the DI400 and DI600 are billed as such (up to 3000W at input), but when you look at the spec sheets for each, the DI600 offers an additional 30db of optional attenuation.

• Oh sorry, I haven't read the whole thread.

First thing to check is the cabling: Amp Speaker Out -> DI400 Input, DI400 Ouput Jack -> Speaker Cabinet Input and DI400 XLR Output -> Kemper Return
    But I think you've already got that right and didn't confuse in- and output jacks of the DI400 ;)

Try plugging the DI400 XLR Ouput into your interface and record the signal with your DAW. Is that signal also quite low? Then it would be possible that the Kemper gets a signal that's too quiet. I would try to turn the amp louder...maybe that helps. But still you're right that wouldn't make the DI400 an ideal choice as it attenuates the signal too hard.