Kemper FX Loop - Instrument or Line Level?

• Hi just wondering if the FX Loop is Instrument or Line Level?
    Is there some sort of pad switch in the Kemper? (debug menu?)
    I need a way to set the FX loop to instrument level (-10db).
    Don't really want to edit 900 rigs to subtract -10db in the cabinet section and adjust volume to bring back the level.
    Maybe my two pedals are just overly sensitive (signal distorting).

Thanks.

• Thanks but the only way I can get my delay pedal to not distort is to -db's from either the amplifier or cabinet section. I've talked to support, ran through a bunch of test and this was the recommended solution. External pedals via FX loop in pre position = no problems. Just in post position I have to minus around 10db in cab section to get these pedals to work.
    No other setting/parameter helps with the distorting except with what I've outlined above.
    Anyway I'm currently talking to my countries Kemper distributer and they want me to send it in for a looksee.
    Kemper support thinks that these pedals are overly sensitive to the send level of the profiler.
    Considering that the FX loop in post position is line level, a global way of subtracting -10db in the cabinet section would help. Locking the cabinet module doesn't help because I would be stuck with the same cabinet sound etc...

Is there a parameter in the debug menu that can globally do this for me?
    Wish I could just lock only the level parameter in the amplifier and/or cabinent section.

• If you are willing to use a further slot in the fx section, you could add a booster with a negative volume value. Or, you might consider using an in-line attenuator (see here for an example) and connect it between the loop output and the delay input.

HTH :)

• Hmm, I did try an EQ before the loop and subtracting the volume value but didn't help. I'll try a booster now and see, but I might have already tried it, don't remember. Thanks.
    In-line attenuator? will possibly look in to that.
    Cheers!

• It has to work. Volume controls are linear, and as long as there's no gain driving involved it doesn't matter where or how you lower the signal. Reducing the cab's volume, the amp's volume, or putting an eq\booster\attenuator in series to the signal is exactly the same. If it works differently, this could be a good start for debugging\troubleshooting :)

• Thanks for the knowledge. Putting a volume pedal in the FX loop before and with one of the pedals work.
    Support has recommended a full flash init. Going to try that this evening to see if that helps.

• Well initiating the flash did not work.
    Main output > pedal input > pedal output > audio interface works flawlessly.
    -10db in amp/cab works.
    Kemper FX loop send > External volume pedal > pedal > FX loop return works.
    *Scratching my head here*
    Those In-line attenuators seems like a good option but In the mean time I think I'm gonna put an external EQ pedal in the loop to drop the volume so I can get these pedals to work.
    Wish you can put the FX loop after all the Kemper FX blocks, might help. Seems the FX loop makes external pedals sound pretty dull compared to the - Main output > pedal input > pedal output > audio interface. Could be just my unit.
    All I know it's either my pedals or It's my Kemper.
    Kemper support seems to think It's the pedals, my countries Kemper distributer wants me to send the unit in.

• Well initiating the flash did not work.
    Main output > pedal input > pedal output > audio interface works flawlessly.
    -10db in amp/cab works.
    Kemper FX loop send > External volume pedal > pedal > FX loop return works.
    *Scratching my head here*
    Those…

Hey Vertigo13, Did anything eventually work? I think more pedals are sensitive than they think.. Because My line 6 m13 is just in no way sounding as good as it used to and I'm getting a lot of clipping using it through the effects loop.
    I can't imagine it would be hard to include the -10Db in a Firmware update?

• I have a M5 here and no issues using it in the loop.

Hey Don, could you set it up with a nice slap back for country (Through a mono Loop in the Effects X section) and use it with a slightly driven but still nice clean sound on the kemper, A Dr.Z wreck or something and let me know how it goes? Maybe the M5 runs a little differently. I have the M9 and it's a little differently wired up compared to the M13.

Cheers man!

• I am having issues with the effects loop as well. its almost as if no signal is coming through the effects loop I am trying to put my strymon timeline in the effects loop

• I am having issues with the effects loop as well. its almost as if no signal is coming through the effects loop I am trying to put my strymon timeline in the effects loop

Hey Waitsmd,

Like Vibracroce said, you'l need to have "Effects loop" Toggled as an active effect in the effects section. Now you can do this two ways but both are very different. If you place it in the stomp section you will be placing the Delay before the Amp section or "Pre amp" Section and it means your delay signal will be going through the "Pre amp" Phase if you will. This can work for some effects but not time based effects like your delays and mods. (Unless this is what you're looking for) If you instead use the X slot in the effects section it puts the Timeline after the "Pre amp" Section along with the delay already available or reverb. When doing this just go as if you were selecting an effect to put in the X slot and look for Mono Loop (Or Stereo If You want that) and you should find it works. and will be nice and clean in comparison to the stomp section or straight before the input of the amp. Just remember to save it to the profile or patch you're using or you'l have to repeat that step a few times and might findyourself wondering why you have no signal at a gig which I've shamefully done haha.

Long answer I know and you've probably done all that and it's a deeper issue but I thought I'd be a little OTT and basic because I had this issue recently and I couldn't find an easy explination. Although this thread deals with a different issue, it might affect you too. I find the level running out my effects send into my delay and back into my return is too hot causing the Delay to clip. The strymons are clever pedals though so I doubt you'l have this issue. But if you do let us know because I don't think this problem is just with the line 6 M series :)

Ally

• Seems the FX loop makes external pedals sound pretty dull compared to the - Main output > pedal input > pedal output > audio interface. Could be just my unit.

This is because the Kemper Cab is always last in the chain, contrary to the legending on the front of the unit.
    To confirm, try setting a long delay with fairly high feedback, strum a few chords, then disengage and reengage the Cab in the Stack section.

• I was just playing around with my Eventide Space in the effects loop (stereo) and it has switches where I can change the input and output (separately) from instrument or line level. I honestly didn't notice much difference in the sound. The line was a tad cleaner and a little crisper but it was subtle. I'd like to run an H9 (3 of them actually) and my Boomerang III looper in the loop as well. My Space is last so I can set the stereo send to line level and I was thinking of using a Reamp box on the send from the Kemper into my Boomerange (then it hits the H9's) so I can get the line down to instrument and I can have the input on the Space as instrument while keeping the output as line that way I've got line coming in and then using the transformer of the Reamp box taking it down to instrument and I'm returning a stereo line signal as well....does this seem like it would work?

I'd like to have my effects in the loop as clean as possible especially when I run multiple reverbs which can start becoming a weird fuzz box if not careful. Sorry to bump an old thread but I figure this was pretty closely related to my issue.

“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
    ― Mark Rothko