Can we please get some kind of Kemper Editor Software for your computer

• A musician must love his instrument.The germans have a nice saying "Kunst kommt von Können" meaning the linguistic root of "art" is comming from "ability"..which means you have to sit down on your butt and practise for years.The opposite of "being convenient"(yes @Dimi,talking to you)..in many ancient languages the word "musical instrument" is deriving from "organ"

Many of the things said some tube amp aficionados say to begin with, but against kemper. Other than that: thanks for the lesson but I'm pretty sure I know what practice is.

PS: Metallica are not pros, man, machine head, Dweezil Zappa, all the guys from Periphery, Abasi.. They are all noobs! Because they do not recognize the gift that has been sent for mankind from up high. Instead they go with the devil, such a terrible sounding unit that is Axe Fx.

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• Dimi, I don't mean to go off topic and I'm not sure who brought the AXE FX comparison into this, but if you've seen the Grammy Performance few years back where Metallica first used the AXE FX II (search it on youtube), you will realize that your statement couldn't be more true even though you didn't mean it that way. However and getting back to topic , it does have a nice editor.

It's easy to find a video where a band sounds bad. There are videos of trivium using kemper on youtube and it's like a cat dying in terms of tone. There are also very good ones. If it's about Metallica, you can find plenty that sound absolutely amazing, the majority of them -- that is with Axe Fx.

Reason I commented on that is I'm tired of other units being dismissed as "shit". And then we want to believe our forum here is better than axe fx's.

Anyway, indeed back to topic... The editor of Axe is amazing. Granted, the device lives and dies by that editor, which is a different situation to kemper's -- but even then the value of an editor for KPA is, well, so clear, as you anyway know. I prefer using KPA when it comes to hardware UI by such a great margin if compared to axe, of course

Edited 2 times, last by Dimi84 ().

• Editor yes, no, whatever. What I really need is preset management for effects and a deeper look into the *.kipr-files, meaning, that you should be able to copy / paste / load / save all slots (input / output, fx, amps, cabs, and so on ...) in Rig Manager. This would be a huge improvement of this software.

2nd step would be implementing the parameters of the unit. But the first step alone would be so much more convenient.

BTW: I love to be able to tweak everything during rehearsal or live soundcheck, even in between songs. And I appreciate the Kemper being built as if it was an amp. But when preparing for a gig or creating new sounds, it would be very helpful to do the shuffling using a computer.

• @Dimi

Hope to make this my last post on this matter..

Personally I never said that the Axe is "shit"(who did btw;)..actually I believe that it is the best modeler when it comes to create "rigs from the scratch" and to tweak yourself to oblivion.I am fine with that.

That being said I just stated the obvious:Most famous players (who made the leap to digital) use the profiler.And only if it is to profile their whole beloved tube amp rig collection.It is also obvious that "most" or at least "many" pros use the Axe mainly for fx.Even more obvious NO big name is using helix which again is the fav for the "normal guy from the street" (whatever this means).

Greetings

• And many use axe for amp tones as well. Anyway, fair deal :) I will make a test on that later and see who can tell the two units apart, on youtube at least, not on the forum.

I prefer kemper KPA's hardware UI. It's far superior to axe of course. It's one of the things I liked about kemper, that it felt "like an amp" in terms of UI. That's why I didn't care for editor for the longest time, especially when use needs weren't akin to now.

It's just that now the need for editor has been maximized by a wide margin for me personally, even though I haven't really "pushed" for that matter really. But before too if it wasn't suprising as many wanted it as much.

• It's just that now the need for editor has been maximized by a wide margin for me personally, even though I haven't really "pushed" for that matter really. But before too if it wasn't suprising as many wanted it as much.

You either need an editor of you don't. It's not for anybody else to say you don't need an editor just because they don't need one :)

Actually an editor may even draw in more customers, i.e. those who are used to using editors, or just plain have an outright need for one. For some the increased productivity could offset the high price. Not everybody is looking for a replica valve amp in digital format with a focus on playing live, some people need to regularly tweak their sounds on the fly.

A major advantage of digital over analogue is the fine control it gives the user over all parameters, so surely it makes sense to utilize this benefit by implementing a software control interface (editor)?

• You either need an editor of you don't. It's not for anybody else to say you don't need an editor just because they don't need one

Thumps up to that

• Editor yes, no, whatever. What I really need is preset management for effects and a deeper look into the *.kipr-files, meaning, that you should be able to copy / paste / load / save all slots (input / output, fx, amps, cabs, and so on ...) in Rig Manager. This would be a huge improvement of this software.

2nd step would be implementing the parameters of the unit. But the first step alone would be so much more convenient.

BTW: I love to be able to tweak everything during rehearsal or live soundcheck, even in between songs. And I appreciate the Kemper being built as if it was an amp. But when preparing for a gig or creating new sounds, it would be very helpful to do the shuffling using a computer.

I agree. As I stated earlier, for those of us who use the Kemper for performance purposes, a deep parameter editor isn't that critical (but would be nice). Having a performance library manager would be of great use though. I suspect we will see this feature before we see a deep editor feature (yea, I do side jobs as a prophet ;) ).

@Serendipity, Yes, an editor may well draw more people into purchasing a Kemper.

@Dimi84, I think the allure of the Line 6 Helix is convenience (all-in-one unit) and price. Kemper with the accompanying foot controller is around $2500.00. Helix is ~ $1500. You could almost buy 2 Helix for one Kemper. Having stated this, it is generally agreed that the Helix is not in the same tonal league as AxeIIFX or Kemper.

I further believe that I will be long dead and buried before a phone app takes the place of a real amp or Kemper/AxeIIfx. Perhaps my kids or grandchildren?

• Why does everyone keep saying the interface is intuitive? Paging through 4 EQ pages of parameters, 6 delay pages, etc.etc. is not intuitive. Give me a single computer screen with all my delay parameters on one page, now that would be intuitive.

This thread is like the current political climate in the US. Guess what, you don't get to tell me how to protest, how to be patriotic, ... How easy it is for me to use my Kemper to change settings.

Okay, that last part is a little, well a lot of hyperbole, but (hopefully) you get my point.

• -- Off topic -- Axe Fx doing eq matching wasn't due to copying kemper. It was talked about and planned way before profiling. And quite a few kemper controls do have near-equivalents in axe land -- which were there Before kemper was released, for that matter.. Even pod was an influence for kemper. So I wouldn't say axe is somehow just a follower.

I'm on axe forum as well btw. Cannot deny that being my impression of both forums being more similar that what each side tends to think. In the beginning, it was different, when kpa was fresh -- but things changed, as it always happens when a device becomes more popular and known.

About axe fx amps.. You can test them. Take an amp, dial in it close to the real equivalent. Doesn't need to be exactly the same amp as there's so much tweak ability. Then see how close it is. And if you feel it isn't close enough... Get the settings as close as you can, then tone match it, whether direct or with cab.

-- on topic --

#mnmountainbiker i think the amp-like controls of kemper are Intuitive. But NOT when deep editing effects or even changing cabs. All that stuff to me is not intuitive. It's deeply in need of an editor. Now "amp like" adjustments, including a few more, are as good as a simple, real amp. My pod xt is quite similar in that regard I would say.

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• We are talking about an editor (i want one too, like all you people) when they even haven't implemented the ability to somehow see if a profile is studio, direct amp or merged through kemper's screen...and this goes back to firmware 3.0...come on...are we serious? Of course they will release an editor, otherwise this thread would be locked a long time ago...i suppose the development team behind the editor is not big so time is needed...

• I know what happened because it happened to me, so Kemper as a company in my personal experience are way more professional than any other company in dealing with criticism. What you have done in this forum will guarantee getting banned in other companies website. You don't believe me, just go and ask them the questions about the amps they modeled and if they can possibly post pictures or basic demonstration of the accuracy of their modeling by showing those coveted amps and similar settings on their AXE II..

We invited Grammy-award winning producer/guitarist LARRY MITCHELL to dial in some tube amps during a studio session. By simply matching the knobs of the models to the knobs of the amps, we demonstrate how accurate the models are, and how easy it is to achieve a great tone with the Axe-Fx II or AX8. Larry toggles between both systems using a footswitch, and then demos the model over some backing tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmXZZ0oEtbI

• Off topic: It simply is.
    I hope you don't find the hard way that if you question the tones of the AXE FX on the AXE FX forum, you're guaranteed to get banned.

I'm a regular at the FAS forums and you won't get banned for simply questioning the Axe FX's tones. Now, if you're rude about it and come across as if you have an axe to grind, yes, maybe. But if you own an Axe FX and have a genuine issue with a particular model or some other aspect of the unit, no, you won't get banned.

• I think it could happen any day now, there are many smart individuals in the world l all you need is one good algorithm of a new concept in modeling.
    Bias was a pretty good attempt and you can get acceptable tones with it as is now that they even developed Bias AMP based on the same 5 dollar app technology . Bias 2 might be it or who knows who else will do it but it can't be that far in the future.

From an engineering standpoint, it seems unlikely. Maintaining low latency while keeping phase coherency is tough to do and requires some pretty good DSP to do it.

Of course, anything is possible ;)

I agree with Dimi84. Basic parameters are a breeze to modify on the Kemper. Gain, PEQ, basic reverb, basic delay, and turning off/on different efx in the signal chain are all very easy to do.

Deep editing for the creation of something unique (like a complex delay) is not straight forward.

I tend to find rigs I like, then modify them for my purposes. I don't do this all that much though, because once I have a great tone (a good ac dc crunch for example), I tend to re-use it for all my crunchy needs unless I come across another specific "crunch" need .... then I start looking at rigs again.

For people who are more creative than me and want to parameter dive, an editor is obviously a must.

For many of us ex tube-heads, the Kemper front end is like an old friend ;)