Kemper and studio monitors for home use

• HS8 = Great
    HS8 + Matching Yammy sub...... "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• I may be late to this thread, however, I have recently added a pair of Focal CMS 65's as a replacement for a 4x12 cabinet that was being used along with the Kemper Power Head. What a difference! I have an older pair of Adam P11's in the same room and compared to the Focals they are harsh, but I suppose that is due in part to the ribbon tweeter championed by Adam. Anyway, I play archtop/jazz exclusively and until the Focals I had not been able to replicate a really good, smokey jazz tone which I correctly assumed was the fault of the 4x12 guitar cabinet. I knew that The Kemper was clearly capable of creating the desired tone and the Focals made that ever more apparent with their smooth, mellow output. My only complaint with the various monitors tested—Focals included—is that their output, in terms of volume, is somewhat limited but it is by no means inadequate. BTW, IMO, the low end is so good on these monitors that no sub is required.

• Just a note: in most cases the room plays a strong role in determining the overall sound of a rig. A system can be perceived as less harsh than another one just because the resonances in the low-mid are stronger for the former. Also, the room determines how "boomy" a cab is. See the notorious case of the CLR, which was considered "boomy" by many (while it goes down to 70 Hz @ -2.5 dB and nowhere exceeds +2.5 dB).
    It's also worth noticing that the higher the volume, the stronger the room's contribute. If I raise my CLR's volume in my small homestudio (4x3x2.70 m3) any recording (even Sting's) becomes muddy and boomy, with a definite loss in the high registry (which is, in fact, just apparent) .

HTH

• Well, I'm 2 months late to the party also, but first up:

Ale, I think you made a sensible choice for your situation with the Yammys. I've always admired Yamaha's quality control and build quality. The service is excellent too should you run into any issues, which you won't.

Congratulations, and enjoy, mate!

100% agree My focal's are simply amazing sounding with a huge tight bottom.

So tempting to go there... but I won't.

Similar situation with my Opals. Started saving my pennies for 'em the day they first came out, and after, I don't know, 5-7 years (lost count!) I was finally able to get 'em last year. No need for subs here, mate. Ear plugs, maybe, but not subs.

They have a notched sensitivity / operating-range switch that goes from 1 to 5. I run 'em on 1, and have never been brave enough to go to (or even heard 'em at)... 2... or beyond...

Late to the party, but I think my Dynaudio BM5As are really really good. The Kemper sounds excellent through them and you can hear a lot of the little details as much as the big ones.

Classy monitors. Hankered after them for many years until the Opals appeared on the market. Good stuff, man.

My room on the other hand is a monstrosity. I'd treat them, but now there isn't any point.

Yeah, the mids in my room are hugely terrible, especially the shrill, high mids. The top end's not great either.

My solution is to sit close to the monitors to reduce the amount of room I hear, and to run 'em quietly so as to not excite the room modes.

• I bought me a pair KRK Rokit G3 6"and I know I think theye are very good 'budget' monitors for a Kemper .
    They sound very good with most "out of the box' profiles and not scooped or muffled at all and if you dont have a lot off money to spend, I think these are 'good vallue for your money'
    Whatever monitors you buy, try them out yourself and let your ears make the choice, not the reviews and silly talks on the internet.

• MS
    I hate the sound of going through my monitors. It just does not feel right.

-----------------

Which monitors do you use?