Guitar cab / FRFR Observations

• Hi all,

I had a bad day yesterday and went to the studio to play....the more I played, the more I disliked my sound. I had been loving my DXR10 with the band, so this confused me. I went back in this lunchtime and my suspicion was correct. Ear Fatigue....

So generally, with the band, the DXR10 gives great clarity. Playing unaccompanied......it can get harsh. I hooked up my guitar cab (I have apowered Kemper) and noticed it sounded very muffled - in comparison.

Although the monitor out eq can be played around with to compensate to an extent....it's only to an extent.

I also notice that the DXR seems much louder / more penetrating than the 2 x 12 guitar cab.

Setup:
    Guitar cab connected to monitor out, Kemper power amp boost set to -6dB,
    DXR to main out via guitar lead.

I think the Kemper in-built amp is supposed to be 600 watts, the DXR, 700 watts.

Going
    to the Output page where you can tweak the main and monitor volumes......the main would be on a much lower setting, perhaps at 8am to match what was coming out of the guitar cab with the monitor volume set at say midday.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what I'll do at gigs.....in the rehearsal room I can get a nice full (stereo?) sound playing unaccompanied with the DXR at one end of the room and the guitar cab at the other.

With the band I may do the same but just use plenty of DXR volume.

I guess my point is, different output devices for different purposes.....more guitar cab for writing / practising (softer sound, less ear fatigue)....more DXR for band rehearsals (clarity and cut).

As far as in the room / oomph - I differ to many people, the DXR has that in spades.....

I hope that helps, rather than confuses, particularly those that sometimes love their Kemper and sometimes aren't sure.

I should also add that in a moment of frustration I tried reviving my pedalboard and a couple of different amps and quickly realised how limited they can be compared to the Kemper. But as musicians we are constantly going to question and seek the holy grail (I would love to spend a couple of hours in a room with a Bogner Ecstacy and a SLO100) - just as many of us have GAS for different guitars/pickups, delay pedals, and focus on one type of guitar practice then another etc etc.

I'm now stuck on my own question.....what set up will I opt for at my next gig?

Cheers,
    Andy

• Hi Andy,

I am confused. You state you have a Powered KPA, but you are connecting to a traditional guitar cabinet via the KPA's Monitor Out?? If you are using the built-in power amp of your powered KPA, then did you mean to type/explain that you are connecting your KPA to your guitar cabinet via the SPEAKER OUT on the back of the powered KPA...using a speaker cable, not a guitar/instrument cable?? I mean, there is no way that you can connect the KPA Monitor Out directly to a regular (passive) guitar cab, and get any sound, yes??

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• Hi Andy,

I am confused. You state you have a Powered KPA, but you are connecting to a traditional guitar cabinet via the KPA's Monitor Out?? If you are using the built-in power amp of your powered KPA, then did you mean to type/explain that you are connecting your KPA to your guitar cabinet via the SPEAKER OUT on the back of the powered KPA...using a speaker cable, not a guitar/instrument cable?? I mean, there is no way that you can connect the KPA Monitor Out directly to a regular (passive) guitar cab, and get any sound, yes??

You are right! I think of it as monitor out because the monitor out volume and eq apply when going ot the "Output" section - but physically, yes, I'm plugged into Speaker Out.

Cheers,
    Andy