Parametric EQ for the Monitor Out output

• Some powered monitors are too much or too little EQ wise. The QSC K10 is an example in which it has exaggerated low mids which need to be cut -3 @ 700Hz.

The current EQ on the Monitor Output sections is graphic EQ and unable to fine tune these monitors or other monitors that need it. Currently, I have to add an outboard PEQ device to handle this.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• +1 I would love an EQ in the Monitor out actually (31 band???), to get my FOH sound right my Mission cabs get quite boomy, dropping the overall bass on the Monitor out EQ kills too many good frequencies, currently debating adding a post Monitor out EQ rack unit to solve the problem. A Kemper update would weigh a lot less lol.

• Everything is doable of course, and I hope every user will eventually be happy with their Profiler.
    But, TBH, I don't agree with the idea that the Profiler should be empowered in its functions in order to take care of\fix other hardware's lacks. If you need a flat response, you should IMO buy flat monitors.
    OTOH, I can hardly imagine that the curve needed to flatten up a given monitor has got the exact shape that an eq can give, so you would end up messing up other freqs while trying and fix the issue @ say 700.
    There hardly are solutions for non-linear audio devices...

"...Then invest in the Church for your Heaven!" [Genesis]

• Everything is doable of course, and I hope every user will eventually be happy with their Profiler.
    But, TBH, I don't agree with the idea that the Profiler should be empowered in its functions in order to take care of\fix other hardware's lacks. If you need a flat response, you should IMO buy flat monitors.

The Profiler also has a Space parameter to make headphone listening a better experience.
    Adding a PEQ is not difficult to implement.

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• Maybe a compromise would be a 10-band graphic-shelve-EQ for the Monitor-Out (and Main-Out)

We buy the Kemper because we don't compromise. Otherwise, I'd stay with my Eleven Rack. ;)

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• Adding a PEQ is not difficult to implement.

I'm not talking of how hard is to implement new functions. But I realise that 100 users may want\need 100 different new services or tools. The Profiler can't (and never will) be a tool that fixes all the possible issues we experience when matching or coupling it with other hardware, bad sounding rooms, bad sound guys, bad guitar players... :)

We buy the Kemper because we don't compromise. Otherwise, I'd stay with my Eleven Rack.

Appreciate your witticism! Keep you Profiler, but welcome in the real world :P

• But, TBH, I don't agree with the idea that the Profiler should be empowered in its functions in order to take care of\fix other hardware's lacks. If you need a flat response, you should IMO buy flat monitors.

OK I have flat monitors. But then, as many of us, I'm subject to room acoustics. There are standing waves with resonant frequencies, especially in the low end.
    I would like to kill them with the help of a PEQ. And it should be in the output section since it applies to a room, not a profile.

So +1 for that feature

• I hear you. Theproblem here is that a static eq can't fix a room, because the resonating frequencies create reinforcements that grow in the time (ms\tens of s), while an EQ cut cuts independently of time. So you will maybe kill the resonances (if you find the right freqs and have enough bands), but will at the same time kill those frequencies when they do not resonate yet. What you will get is not a flatter response, just (in the best case) a response without resonances, but not flat as well.
    Using a metaphor, you'll be using a bomb to just flat down that little bulge in your garden. A bomb for each of them, if that makes sense!

HTH

• Well I have already a Behringer DEQ2496 to fix these and it works quite well, of course it's still not perfect but I can hear a huge improvement.
    The right frequencies are easy to find , there are softwares that compute them from the room dimensions. And it's amazing to see how spot on they are :)
    You're right about the number of band required, on my DEQ2496 I entered 8 bands, but even with only 2-3 of the more prominent frequencies it should be ok.

The KPA already contains the PEQ algorythms, I guess the output section could include them too, but I don't know how hard it would hit on the DSP.
    It's up the the KPA team to see if they want to offer us this feature. I would resell my DEQ2496 so yes to me it means saved €'s, and gives more value to my KPA :)

• Yep, again, you kill some resonances, you do not flatten the room.
    to clarify, if you have say a +12 dB resonance @ 47 Hz and you set your eq strip accordingly, you'll have to face two issues:

1. the EQ's Q factor and bell will in most cases not coincide with the resonance's bell. So you will also be killing frequencies that did not need to be cut (thus creating a lot of non-linearities);
    2. Those 12 dB will take say 1/30 s to establish? (It depends on how many times the wave goes back and forward) During that transitory you will be applying a 12 dB cut to a frequency wich was much less than 12 dB (let alone the surrounding freqs which did not need any treatment), thus creating further non-linearities.

After room's design and treatment, motorized, real-time EQ is the way to approach the issue.
    Again, if your goal is to just kill resonances, static EQ is quite a practical approach :)