Input settings locked when switching between Browser and Performance Mode

• I just noticed that even if have the input settings locked it doesn't remain the same when I switch between Browser and Performance (I think it just remember the last input setting used on that mode)
    I have input presets saved for each of my guitars. When I change guitar I always go into the input settings to recall the right preset, but if I turn the chicken knob to Browser or Performance that doesn't mean that I changed guitar... Is this a bug or an inconvenient feature?

• Input settings are independent between browse and performance mode…and can be locked independently too.

Yes, I noticed that, but if this is a feature I find it very uncomfortable.
    Who said that if turn a knob I changed guitar? I think (and I hope) that is just a bug.

I also noticed that if I lock a stomp in Browser mode when I turn to Perf and then again to Browser the stomp is not locked anymore.
    If I start with Performance and lock a stomp the behavior is different... switching to Browser and then again to Performance the stomp remains locked.
    This make me think that there is a little bug in the Lock section.
    Talking about Feature Request: I'd like to have (at least) my Input and Output settings globally locked so that if I lock them they remain the same even when I turn the chicken knob.

• I tried again: I lock a stomp (not the input, let say... the delay) in Browser mode, I turn the chicken knob to Performance, I turn it again to Browser and the Delay is not locked anymore.

BTW, do you find that the separate management of input settings (even when locked) is a useful feature?!?
    If you use the input locked and you have many guitars... how can you remember what was the last guitar you used in that Mode (Browser or Performance)? You always have to double check in every mode you are to be sure that you don't have the wrong settings... IMHO it's just a waste of time and I can't imagine how this can be useful. If I want different settings I simply don't lock the input!
    Seriously, no reason to fight ;)
    Can someone explain me how this bug feature can improve your experience with the profiler?

• > Works for me running FW 3.0.2[

Same here.

I think most people don't randomly switch between Browse and Perf mode…at least not enough to make the independence a problem.

I used to think it was a bug too, but now I'm kinda glad it operates that way.

• I'm on FW 3.0.2 too ... I think the bug is when you switch or you casually scroll to rigs that don't have any stomp loaded in the one locked... but this isn't really a problem, just a little "symptom" that something doesn't work perfectly about the locking feature.

Talking about my feature request... let me explain better my typical use. I don't have fun randomly switching between Browser and Performance :)

I have performances organized per amp. I like to use the same amp with different guitars (like in real life pre-KPA :-))
    To do that I often use the same performance changing just the input settings preset (one for each of my guitars. BTW, I'd like to have the possibility to REPLACE an input preset instead of saving with the same name and deleting the old one... but this is another story.)
    When I want to modify a rig I don't like to do that in Performance mode. I did it in the past, but then I can't "export" or save that sound easily and even the display doesn't look designed to modify rigs/slots in Perf Mode... So I think it's better to adjust a sound in Browser mode and then I can easily store it inside performances slots.
    In order to do that I switch the chicken knob and I always have the wrong input setting. Then, when I want to check sounds with a different guitar and arrange/modify a performance with it I always have to change two times the input preset and I find it a waste of time and a possible cause of mistakes.
    I hope you can understand my point of view.

Now, can you please explain to me how can you find the separate management of the same physical input a good thing?
    I can only imagine that if you have only two guitars you can keep one mode for each guitar and switch between input preset just turning the chicken knob, but this force you to always use a guitar with a particular mode and have different display and features for each guitar. For example you can't share the same tempo between rigs in the one you use in browser mode... I really don't find it so useful and smart.
    Maybe I'm completely wrong and your convenience is something else? Sincerely, what am I missing?

Thank for your answer.
    Regards,
    Carlo

• I get what you want now.
    My approach to a solution would be to create all the input settings you need for your several guitars in BM, then duplicate them to PM.
    When this is done you can easily do any tweaking anywhere (BM or PM) with any of your guitars.
    BTW I disagree that PM is not suitable for tweaking, and exporting to BM is really easy. ;)

• the reasoning behind this is this:

performances are typically representing one song. many guitarists change guitars between songs (drop-d, 7 string etc.) and therefore have different input settings saved for different performances.

browsing, playing, selecting rigs is mostly done with one guitar for a prolonged time (for example when choosing rigs for a performance.)

now locking the input section makes sense, but as soon as you switch to performance mode, you don't want that lock to interfere with your carefully made right-guitar-for-the-right-song choices.

if there was only one 'master'-setting, one could even forget to unlock the input section when going from the studio (browse) to the stage (performance)

• If I'm not wrong a Performance can even be intended as an Amp (I learned from your examples performances preloaded in a brand new Profiler :) )

If I want to use performances organized per songs with different guitars I just don't lock the input. During the sound check I just need to long press the lock button to check in a second that nothing is locked... Honestly, I don't find reasons of this separation so convincing for me.

Ingolf, I really think that the display in Browser mode is more designed to edit a rig (I can see in display every single stomp loaded, etc.) and the one in Performance mode more useful during a performance. BTW, how can I save a modified rig that I have in a performance slot to the Browser mode? I didn't find a way so far...

• BTW, i only use the output setting for different guitars. So i have done settings for my Les Paul, my Jem an so on.
    It works real good. I only use the input section, when i have to change the sense a liitle (depends on the rig). Is this the wrong way?
    When i change the guitar, i change the output preset.

• Different signals from pickups can saturate the same amp gain too much or too little... and I think can make very unbalanced levels of clean and distort sounds.
    I think that the input presets are more appropriate for different guitars.

• I use my KPA just like you I think. (sorry, wasn't digging at you with the "random" reference ;)
    I have my performances organized as amps and use them with 3 or 4 different guitars over the course of a gig.
    Sometimes the guitars are not the same ones as I used in the last gig.

I used to drive myself nuts with different input settings for each guitar and to be honest, in the middle of a gig I just found it unmanageable for my poor little brain.
    Sometimes I'd forget to change the sense settings and the gain change was a surprise, especially using some stomps like compressor or green scream.

Over the last few months I've used only one input sense setting and found it very manageable. My KPA does indeed behave like a real amp and some guitars give me more drive or volume, but I've learned (still learning ) how to manage with that situation and much happier on stage now.

(Totally agree on th need to be able to replace presets)

Talking about my feature request... let me explain better my typical use. I don't have fun randomly switching between Browser and Performance

I have performances organized per amp. I like to use the same amp with different guitars (like in real life pre-KPA :-))
    To do that I often use the same performance changing just the input settings preset (one for each of my guitars. BTW, I'd like to have the possibility to REPLACE an input preset instead of saving with the same name and deleting the old one... but this is another story.)

• I worked for years with programmable devices (JMP1, Triaxis, H&K Access, various Line6 Pod, etc, etc.) and I always had to duplicate presets for different guitars just to adjust and balance volume levels of clean and distorted sounds.
    The very uncomfortable thing is that when you change something (for example a different delay setting) you have to replicate the tweak in every sound for every possible guitar you plan to use.
    I play very different music genres and I like to change guitars just to avoid getting bored with the same sounds every night! :)
    When I first tried the KPA I found the lock feature simply genius! Especially in the input section I thought it was a real killer feature! Using the same amp with the same effects, but play them with different guitars just recalling and locking a different input preset… for me it was just amazing and so easy to understand and use :)
    Even if I have a new guitar that I never played I can adjust the two sense parameter in a few seconds (I have a very good method, if someone want to know I can share it :) ), lock the input and I'll have my amps and sounds usable for the the whole evening!

Now you are suggesting me to return to the old (annoying) way of saving and duplicate sound for every guitar? I'm confused and I'm not sure that I want to follow your suggestion...

@ Eltzejepp
    With all the respect for Thomas Dill, I think that the two parameters in the input section are very smart, useful and as I mentioned above they are one of the killer feature of KPA.

@don
    I understand the reasons of this separation, but I think I have a better solution! We can have separate on/off state of locking between the two modes, but if the input is locked in both modes I think that the clean and distortion sense has to be same value. No reason to secretly recall a different locked status.

@Gizmo
    I understand your use, but if I’m not wrong an input setting that remains locked doesn’t disturb your mode of use… What is the reason that make you glad of this behavior?

Thank you in advance.
    Carlo

• Basically because I can mess about all I want in browse mode with sense settings, but I don't have to remember to reset it in pert mode.
    Maybe it would be better to have it locked by performance in performance mode just like you can have it change by rigs in browse mode.

Gizmo
    I understand your use, but if I’m not wrong an input setting that remains locked doesn’t disturb your mode of use… What is the reason that make you glad of this behavior?

• Basically because I can mess about all I want in browse mode with sense settings, but I don't have to remember to reset it in pert mode.
    Maybe it would be better to have it locked by performance in performance mode just like you can have it change by rigs in browse mode.

IMHO if someone want to use different settings in different Performances or Rigs can simply don't lock the input. If you like to modify the input setting you can do a simple workaround: lock the input, scroll through all the slots (with the button in the panel... don't use MIDI or the remote) and save the performance.
    I use the lock feature even to copy/paste the same effects in different rigs and it works very good.
    About the possibility to forget to unlock I don't find it a real problem... Luckily we don't have to go inside menus or stuff like that to check if something is unawares locked. With a long press of the lock button we can see in a second what is locked and eventually unlock it immediately.

@Ingolf
    I tried again to export a performance slot to the Browser mode but I can't do it. I found a guide that says something about creating a backup, uncompress it, rename some files, re-compress etc, but honestly I don't find it "really easy" as you said. Can you explain me how you do it? If I copy a slot then I try to paste it in browser mode it says "Paste buffer is empty"... BTW, another separation that I don't like ;)