Distorted noise when using effects loop

• Usually I run a small pedalboard into the front of my KPA, but whenever I try to run effects in a loop (X slot, mono), I have this unwanted distorted noise that gets added somehow. I've eliminated potential cable issues, effects loop Vol is at 0, Mix is 100%, adjusting these does not change the unwanted clipping. When I put the whole board through the front, there is no problem, only when using a loop. Am I missing something?

• Yeah I've got this problem too. Went through a bunch of tests with Kemper support as well. Support came to the conclusion that it was the pedals being overly sensitive to the send level of the profiler or something. Suggested to turn down the level in the cabinet module by -6db to -10db. Slight workaround there.
    Try decreasing cabinet level till the problem goes away first. Pretty much the only parameter that helped with me.

I tried a few things that got some results:
    {Main Output}: Off. {Direct Output}: Stack. {Aux In - Main}: 10.0. = No pedal distortion & clear sound!
    -Also-
    {Main Output}: Delay/Reverb wet. {Direct Output}: Stack. {Aux In - Main}: 10.0. = Same results, great sound!
    Tested with four external guitar pedals connected to the send and return inputs.

On a side note: my countries Kemper distributer (innovative music Australia) wants me to send my Kemper in for inspection. They feel that's something is up with the way it handles pedals. Going to do it when I have time.

• I wonder if this isn't related to the inherently loud signal of the KPA. There is almost no way I can go 0dB to recording. I always have to tame it to something like -6 -> -12 dB to get a clean clear undistorted signal that the PreAmp can handle well, or even powered speakers.

After that, I can boost those speakers quite a ways up and it all sounds good and right.

• I'm glad you posted this question because I'm having what I think is the same dilemma.
    Up until just recently I never used any pedals with the Kemper.
    I have fallen in love with the Xotic SP Compressor and the JHS Double Barrel and want to use them.
    What I have found is that the loop return is louder than going front end with pedals.
    So, a rig with any amount of gain with be boosted and thus distort more.
    I like rigs that are slightly pushed and react to dynamics.
    These rigs lose their sweet spot when using the loop.
    I reduced the loop volume return about -2.5 and got the same as going str8 in the front.
    I was happy but then started wondering what about the signal coming out of the loop.
    Is it just like coming from the guitar? Has any mojo been lost due to say impedance or something?
    After recording examples of both setups and studying the results I can't say for sure.
    So, what are the pros and cons of loop vs front?
    I am leaning towards going in the front because that's what we do with amps anyway.
    I'm talking about typical comp/boost/dist pedals.
    This also frees up slots for more effects in the Kemper.
    I look forward to other opinions on this....

EC

• What do you mean by "adjusting the loop return volume?" Are you talking about the Volume control parameter in the Loop slot? Adjusting this did not help my problem at all.
    Also, there is a "Distortion Loop" if you're running the effects you describe in a loop; I only run Mod/Delay/Reverb in a normal "Mono Loop."

• What do you mean by "adjusting the loop return volume?" Are you talking about the Volume control parameter in the Loop slot? Adjusting this did not help my problem at all.
    Also, there is a "Distortion Loop" if you're running the effects you describe in a loop; I only run Mod/Delay/Reverb in a normal "Mono Loop."

It seems my issues are not the same as yours.
    Yes, I meant volume control parameter in the loop slot.
    I don't know why I assumed this was a return control.
    The manual doesn't specify if it's send or return ...
    As for the distortion loop I tried it and got the same results.
    For now I am sticking with the front end setup.
    Thanks for your reply,
    EC

• i use a H9 from eventide in the loop (stereo) and also having volume issues.. not a distorted sound but more a loss of volume or the same ecma7 is ref. to a loss of "mojo" cant explain it really. So putting the H9 in front is solving this but i loose the stereo and the delay is in the front off all the other effects, thats not the best position for me...

"We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are"