Should I get a kemper for bass?

• G'day all,
    I have a recording project coming up, and want to get another amp modeller. I currently have an axe fx ii and was going to get another but they have supply problems meaning I have to look at plan B.
    So....I'm thinking of using the axe fx for guitar and getting a kemper for bass as I can buy one locally with no issues.
    Only problem is....I cannot find any recordings of a kemper on bass except heavy metal, or format shifting synths etc... I just want a bass sound that sounds like (say) the rickenbacker on machine head..or rush...or something like that. (One of the basses is a rick 4003)
    So... I'm putting it out there...
    Has anyone had success with a non distorted bass sound with the kemper profiler? I'd love to hear some examples please.

Thanks for any advice.

Pauly

• Definitely yes.
    I am recording guitar and bass (a 1999 Rickenbacker 4003), through the Kemper.
    I get brilliant clean and "original" ricky sounds from the various available bass profiles out there (and I have nothing to do with heavy metal, e.t.c). It's all on you and how you'll tweak each rig to your liking.

Another excellent feature is the availability of the parallel path.

• I checked and found the same, all metal vids. The only thing I could share is that I let my bass player use my rig before a show once just testing out a factory bass rig and he said it was good, if Jerome Robinson says it's good, buy one. Jerome does a lot of recording, is well respected nationally and knows more about sound than anyone I've ever met.

• Thanks Ingolf, Raoul23, Stemast, & Booyah,

Anyone have recordings they'll share?

(And thanks for the welcome Ingolf :-))

Pauly

• Hi Sledge,

It's bass for this project, but it'll be used a bit more thoroughly in others. Overkill is good :) I'd be happy with another Axe FX but here in Australia they have poor supply and can't be purchased without paying & then waiting a few months. Not acceptable to me.

Thanks
    Pauly

• Thanks Stemast,

You have been busy haven't you....And your pictures are scary! :)
    I also thought to search for Kemper Bass tracks in soundcloud (don't know why I hadn't before) so that was handy.

Pauly

• :)

I just hope you now have an idea, even though I am pretty sure there are other more professional recordings to listen to and get the real picture.
    I am not a bass player, so I am def not the best reference point, but my mate who is and plays with his musicman, his ricky and an Ampeg SVT VR, his is currently saving money for a Kemper (because of its performance and portability especially).

I wish you the best to your quest, Pauly, I am sure whatever your decision may be, will be the best for you. :)

Cheers,
    Stelios

• Hi again,

Seems my local Axe FX supplier has found a way to get me a second unit ,so I'm reverting back to plan A (getting a secong AXE FX). Nothing against the Kemper - I'd arranged to purchase one this coming week - but I know the other unit well, and was a little unsure about how the kemper design would compare to my mind set if you know what I mean! While the suppliers phone call was a releif, in a lot of ways I was looking forward to trying something different - but going with what I know is lower risk.

Thanks for the kindness and advice while I was here.. I may get a kemper in the studio yet!

Pauly

• I've been using some gallien krueger, Mesa and Hartke profiles and they are incredible, I do have a 15 inch bass cabinet and I switch to it when I am using bass profiles and they sound absolutely amazing, highly recommend the Kemper for Bass. best of luck.