[solved - was Eureka problem] Kemper MIDI OUT corruption causing problem for FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM2 "Effects State Feedback"

• No progress here, I'm 99% sure that the KPA--not the chip--is the problem. I'm really just speculating, but It seems to me that there is very little that could go wrong with a PROM chip aside from having bad firmware burned onto it from the get-go, but then the problem would exist across all chips that have said firmware rather than just a few. This is not the first hardware problem that I have had with my KPA either--I have an XLR output volume issue that has never been completely solved. But like I said, I'm just speculating, and my view of the situation may be a bit biased due to past problems with this unit, so take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

I have a love hate relationship with Kemper. The tones that I get from this little box are incredible, but the bugs, the spotty quality control and apparent cost-cutting on components is inexcusable for the price. So much for German manufacturing, eh? Despite all of the problems that plague the KPA, it's still the best option in my opinion. I'll deal with the quirks and bugs if it means I won't sound like I'm playing through an overpriced POD (I'm looking at you Fractal Audio).

• Resurrecting this thread.

I just got my hands on an FCB1010 with the EurekaProm2 chip, flicked it straight into PA mode and was working happily with one directional MIDI. Ok so with that all good I then hooked up bi-directional MIDI and was looking forward to stomp-box effects state feedback and the like....and what I got was a flashing light show of intermittent stomp box statuses. The same behaviour as documented in this thread. :(

Seems to be worse for the delay stomp for some reason - it never syncs. The rest are almost tolerable, but they do flicker randomly.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?

• I'm using bi-directional communication with the Kemper and I haven't experienced this problem with the Gordius Big Little Giant. So I'm not entirely convinced this is a Kemper problem, blinking lights from time to time makes it seem like communication is being lost intermittently, or some messages are being sent.

I wonder what the problem could be?

• I'm using Uno4Kemper and never experienced such behavior. And many others do.

I know, that the MIDI channels need to be set like described in the Uno4Kemper manual. What you want to avoid is creating a MIDI loop, so that some of the signals being returned from the Profiler to report status back to the footcontroller, which then sets its LEDs accordingly, are then again returned to the Profiler, which might trigger a continuous back and forth communication.

• Thanks, will check that out later today and report back.

I tried new cables last night but with same result. The delay stomp (pedal 7 under Effects mode on the EurekaProm) is the one that has the most trouble . It comes on for a few seconds and then the LED turns off. Wonder if the eureka chip is getting confused between the two delay CC's...? i.e. trails and no trails.

• Yes, absolutely yes. I've just done a reset and a MIDI diagnostics on the FCB with a loopback cable and all passed fine.
    It's about 90% working - but the delay pedal in EF mode, pedal 7, will not stay LED on for more than a few seconds. The rest in stomps mode (EF mode) are more stable but they do light off and on a little randomly. Is the EurekaProm2 chip buggy?

I have another theory....the MIDI out/thru on the FCB is allowing the MIDI stream coming back to the FCB from the Kemper to be repeated back to the Kemper resulting in a dreaded MIDI infinite loop kinda thing?

Maybe I need to to up to the Eureka3 or switch over to e Uno4Kemper.

• Yes, absolutely yes. I've just done a reset and a MIDI diagnostics on the FCB with a loopback cable and all passed fine.
    It's about 90% working - but the delay pedal in EF mode, pedal 7, will not stay LED on for more than a few seconds. The rest in stomps mode (EF mode) are more stable but they do light off and on a little randomly. Is the EurekaProm2 chip buggy?

I have another theory....the MIDI out/thru on the FCB is allowing the MIDI stream coming back to the FCB from the Kemper to be repeated back to the Kemper resulting in a dreaded MIDI infinite loop kinda thing?

Maybe I need to to up to the Eureka3 or switch over to e Uno4Kemper.

Yes, this is what I thought. I've run into similar situations with midi. You need to set either the Kemper (is this possible? if not, a FR is necessary to give us the option) or the FCB to not pass on the midi signal once it is received. If other FCB users are not having this problem, I think it should be an easy fix.

• Yes, this is what I thought. I've run into similar situations with midi. You need to set either the Kemper (is this possible? if not, a FR is necessary to give us the option) or the FCB to not pass on the midi signal once it is received. If other FCB users are not having this problem, I think it should be an easy fix.

there's no way to create a loop using MIDI in/out on the Profiler. It cannot pass MIDI through from the input to the output. i can't speak for the other hardware involved here and users facing issues might want to get in touch with the manufacturers in question.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• The EurekaPROM2 could be the culprit. Upgrading to version 3.2 should rid the blinking LED issue.

Thanks Dave, I was going to post this question over on your forum but you have beat me to it. Cheers.

I'll try the v3.2 upgrade and pickup a few other benefits such as tuner display.

Edited once, last by burger ().

• Just following through on this. Finally got the v 3.2 prom installed today after having been away over the Xmas break and I'm happy to report that the problem detailed earlier in this thread is fixed in v3.2. Works very well indeed, thanks Dave!