Any chance for a profiling guitar???

• Just an idea... Could you imagine :A Guitar in a kind of Line 6`s Variax, where you can plug all your guitars and profile them, with a tronical Tune Set, plugged in our KPA`s... 8o
    Would be amazing, wouldn`t it? 8)
    Any other suggestions? :whistling:

• cool idea! profiling is maybe to much for this but just something like eq/tone matching ... that would be awesome ...
    a aktive tone knob maybe as a addition for your guitars ...

to sum it up a aktive knob which can load eq profiles
    maybe via usb port so you can blend a eq profile you like... + a program on the pc to make eq profile or to match eq sounds

... absolutely cool idea i think music man had a similar idea but this would be awesome

• hi guys,

A friend (engineer of a university) and I working on a midi controlled guitar which has a lot of options. (change resonance frequency and the resonance elevation, switch for in phase/ out of phase with amplifier and impedance converter.... )
    Resonance frequency and elevation are the most significent sound coloration of electronic guitar, for me.
    I dont think that the used wood is important for the sound of a guitar. There are also 3d printed guitar which sound awesome without any bodywood. I think people think this way because acoustic guitar sound works different. On electronic guitars are pickups which change the game completely.

Look like this: it is german but look just the diagrams:

http://www.guitar-letter.de/in…vsStateVariableFilter.htm

We work for a year now, but it is still in progress. There will be only one cable from the midi controller to KPA and one cable from the KPA to the guitar. (I try to avoid cables, but it has to be a 7 pin MIDI cable or ethernet cable. The electronic circuit needs to be powered by the cable.

I dont think it is possible to make a humbucker, sound and react like a single coil. So I installed both on my custom guitar. (SC+ HB) Now im just waiting to finish the electronic circuit.

By the way there is a lot of VOODOO stuff going on where the "good" sound is coming from. So be sceptical.

EQing is one thing, but this doesnt work over time-dimension -> it will react different.

Musicman had / have the game changer :D

Edited 2 times, last by kamin21 ().

• Just like we need FRFR to reproduce all the amps and cabs, you would need a piezo pickup as well as magnetic to cover the range of a guitar, that said with a 'full range' guitar it should be possible to "tone-match" to get close IMHO

• this one:
    gamechanger.music-man.com/specs.eb

I would really love to get a MusicMan Gamechanger, but it's way to expensive in Europe. I'm not convinced it's 3200€ worth (in HSH with Piezo configuration). It is an interesting concept, but should have more color options.

I would really love to get a MusicMan Gamechanger, but it's way to expensive in Europe. I'm not convinced it's 3200€ worth (in HSH with Piezo configuration). It is an interesting concept, but should have more color options.

You can get 3 different awesome guitars for the same amount of money or your own inidividuell custom guitar from a top guitar luthier and save 1000€. :)

• Despite the vast amount of pickup combinations possible with the Game Changer, the pickups can only "pick up" the sound of a 25.5" scale guitar with a bolt-on maple neck and a basswood body. These are the most "limiting factors" beside the 250.000+ PU combinations.

Besides, I for one am not convinced that splitting Humbucker coils does sound like a real Singlecoil. Nor do two Singlecoils in parallel or series sound like a real Humbucker. So, there are compromises despite all the built-in electronics (and I do not want to start discussing how these electronics may influence the pure magnetic sound of the GC after all).

However, an alternative would be to invest in two Boris Dommenget "Doublebuckers" (who really sound like a Humbucker and a Singlecoil at a flick of a switch), a good single coil for the middle position, a Piezo bridge and two PU selector switches (maybe 2 Freeway Switches?). This will provide you with a more than average (of course far less than the Game Changer) amount of PU combinations, but an equally great sounding guitar at a fraction of the costs. Plus, one has the option to modify an existing guitar to these mods which reduces overall costs even more.

Of course the Game Changer is an interesting idea but it does not provide anything that could be named "Profiling Guitar".

A real Profiling Guitar (as a "profile reproducing" guitar, not as a guitar that actually profiles another guitar) would be the ultimate project !
    Up to you Christoph ... ;)

If at all, I am convinced that we are still far away from this.
    In the meanwhile, I would rather like to see the option to individually select the microphone in a rig, thus Amp-DI / Cabinet / Microphone.

• Dynamics are the biggest issue... attack of notes and sustain thereafter.

However eq wise that is a matter of eq directly after the input for passive pickup equipped guitars.

Assuming the guitar cable used had very little capacitance and retained the highs (as they can't be put back once gone without incurring noise) then pickup resonant frequency is the main issue.

You would need to filter out the existing resonant frequency, and then put it back in a different place.

I suppose one way to have the Kemper 'know' say the original guitar used for a tone, would be for it to measure the spectrum of an open string strum, then compare it to your guitar and match it with an eq as best it could without boosting non-existent highs into noise.

It could also measure the pickup output likewise.

• Despite the vast amount of pickup combinations possible with the Game Changer, the pickups can only "pick up" the sound of a 25.5" scale guitar with a bolt-on maple neck and a basswood body. These are the most "limiting factors" beside the 250.000+ PU combinations.
    The wood doesnt matter at all imho but it is an effective marketing gag. There is a 3D printed guitar which sounds absolute fine. It is true that pickup position has an hearable influence. closer to bridge -> more highs
    The scale has much more influence on playability and string tension less on sound.

[quote='REVILO','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/20084-Any-chance-for-a-profiling-guitar/?postID=222613&#post222613']Besides, I for one am not convinced that splitting Humbucker coils does sound like a real Singlecoil. Nor do two Singlecoils in parallel or series sound like a real Humbucker. So, there are compromises despite all the built-in electronics (and I do not want to start discussing how these electronics may influence the pure magnetic sound of the GC after all).

Thats true because it has something to do with the aperture of an pickup. You can only simulate the electronic not the magnetism. You can install a SC & HB on a guitar but there will be an output problem because HB are much hotter than SC.

Edited once, last by kamin21 ().

• The intention shouldn`t be a perfect copied telesound on a les paul, i think.

It would be enough to have a active tone switch or poti wich can recreate the frequency response of another guitar ...
    for example so if you`re changing from a strat to a les paul live they sound so different that you would have to change the amp settings or else you`ll have a too muddy sound ... but with a similar frequency response you`ll be ready to play with the same amp settings but with the dynamics of another gutiar

• oh and by the way, the size of such a unit could be really small, AMT electronics built the pangea wich is in fact very small and can load IR`s