Speaker choices on my monitor amp

• Hi !

I'm thinking about swapping the speaker in my 'monitor amp' I use with my KPA. It's a solid state fender frontman 65R with a power amp IN, with a 'special design' 12 inches 8 Ohms speaker. It's sounds pretty good with the cab sims off on cleans and fender like rigs, but not that good on other amp types (drives are muffled). I use this amp in my home studio to get an amp feel, and also on stage as a monitor.

I thought about a linear FR speaker like the Beyma 12ga50, but this one also seems to excel in clean tones mostly.

I wonder if you have other speaker options, both suitable with cleans, crunches and heavy tones ( JCM800 & mark II c++ likes)

I also wonder if I can add a tweeter to the output in order to get better trebles ( with a proper filtering).

• ok thx here is the shortlist then

Fullrange speaker
    Beyma 12ga50
    Celestion K12H 200TC

Guitar cab speakers
    Celestion G12K-100 - suitable for hi gain
    a Mix of Vintage 30s and G12 T-75s

Any feed back on the Full range ones ? both clean& drives tones reviews would be great

• Thx Zap, but it's way too loud & heavy for my purpose ( home studio & a bit of live gigs ).

Plus I love the looks of my frontman, looks like an old blackface and I might be able to get the internal spring verb in action with the power amp. I'm into modding.

• Thx Zap, but it's way too loud & heavy for my purpose ( home studio & a bit of live gigs ).

The DXR10 and Frontman 65 are the same weight, and the DXR10 has a smaller footprint. As for the extra power, you don't have to use it, but it's nice when you need it.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• thx Zap, is the DXR10 still able to behave right at very low volume ? I often play with less than 30w

The DXRs scale very well over the entire volume range.

Keep in mind, that doubling the volume will need 10 times the power. Which means that a 1000 Watt system is actually only 4 times louder than a 10 Watt system. 30 Watt can produce far over 110 db of sound pressure with a efficient speaker.

• The DXRs scale very well over the entire volume range.

Keep in mind, that doubling the volume will need 10 times the power. Which means that a 1000 Watt system is actually only 4 times louder than a 10 Watt system. 30 Watt can produce far over 110 db of sound pressure with a efficient speaker.

Agreed, but every amp sounds better when loud :D

• I'm still trying to figure out what 1x12 to use as a monitor to try and get as close as possible to a FRFR sound as well. I have the Ambrosi power section insert so I'm not looking for a powered FRFR monitor.

• thx to ya all, I'll try to get a DXR one of these days, there are still expensive for my usage.

I'll try to figure out the 12" FR solution on my frontman as well and keep you informed, but the results are really interesting so far with the power amp in and the stock speaker, both with cab sim OFF or ON.

I had hard times trying to EQ my mains outs in order to deal with the pick ice trebles from the fender speaker, I finally set the treble @ 9 o clock to get the great mids & treble from my monitoring system, and use my frontman on bass and low mids range , this way I get the 'kick ass' amp like feel I was missing with my HS7 yams.

I had killer results with the supros & valcos from pete and several other fenders, not that much with hi gain stuff except a 18w brit marshall clone that ended as my main rig ATM, suitable for SC and HB, all gain range available from pristine cleans to full leads on this one and only rig.

CAB sim off and my own dakota rig gave me the best cleans, just like standing in front of the real stuff, I love it. Regarding the supro, I never tried the real amp, but my 100€ frontman sounds like a killer 3000$ boutique amp now :)

• I did a shootout with a bunch of Celestion speakers in a 1x12 cab using my Camplifier and the monitor out w/out speaker emulation, and found the G-12K100 to be most compatible with a variety of amp models. It is a fairly neutral speaker with good power handling (100 watts) and is relatively inexpensive.

I have a pair of DXR10, and never really bonded with them as live monitors. I much prefer monitoring with a regular speaker cab, as it gives me a more familiar stage sound.

• Hello!
    I've ordered a Beyma 12GA50 to put it in my little Vox cabinet (which has a Celestion Greenback and ist very small and niceand its 1/3 open) or in a 1x12 cabinet (open or Close, I have to try out).
    It sounds well in my Little vox-cab, Speaker is new and have to break in, little less bass at the Moment and al little fizzy in the heights, but with a little tweaking with a good Headphone and the EQ of the Kemper Monitor Out I really come close enough to the Headphone-Sound.

Haven't try it in the bigger 1x12 cabinet with the option to drive it closed back and bass-reflex, but when the speaker has break-in and sounds good in the vox-cab, I would let it in there, cause it's really small and nice for a monitoring-solution.

Even in the Moment I can reccommend this speaker for a cheap solution (and it would Sound better break-in), I own the Power-Head, so I don't need anything active, and the passive Matrix Q-12 cost really much Money (I would like to know, which speaker they put in there!)

• Hi Coonie. Welcome to the forum. Let us know how your experiment goes! :thumbup:

Hello!
    I've ordered a Beyma 12GA50 to put it in my little Vox cabinet (which has a Celestion Greenback and ist very small and niceand its 1/3 open) or in a 1x12 cabinet (open or Close, I have to try out).
    It sounds well in my Little vox-cab, Speaker is new and have to break in, little less bass at the Moment and al little fizzy in the heights, but with a little tweaking with a good Headphone and the EQ of the Kemper Monitor Out I really come close enough to the Headphone-Sound.

Haven't try it in the bigger 1x12 cabinet with the option to drive it closed back and bass-reflex, but when the speaker has break-in and sounds good in the vox-cab, I would let it in there, cause it's really small and nice for a monitoring-solution.

Even in the Moment I can reccommend this speaker for a cheap solution (and it would Sound better break-in), I own the Power-Head, so I don't need anything active, and the passive Matrix Q-12 cost really much Money (I would like to know, which speaker they put in there!)