Keith McMillen SoftStep 2

• I searched but can't really find much, anyone happy using this?
    It looks very interesting to me, but I am hesitant without much feedback because apparently it can be tough to program.

• Thanks Paults, I know everything about it basically, but just want to get some real user feedback before I pull the trigger.

I need something that can control 4 devices for program change and CC's.

• I had one a couple of years ago - it was overkill for my live rig, so I didn't keep it. But, it can do all the things they say it can (with a laptop connected to it).

There has not been much discussion of it here - you may get more feedback on controlling multiple devices with it on The Gear Page.

If you haven't downloaded the editing software, look at it. It is easy to assign multiple functions to each pedal.

• I have used the softstep since I first got my kemper up until I got my remote with no problems and they have several scenes for use with the kemper. I made one of my own for controlling and used the stock program change to change rigs. My only issue was getting real status of stomps. Everything worked great for controlling other gear as well with a couple of cc's assigned to one pad on the softstep for tap tempo.

Dave

• i've been using the softstep 2 until i got the remote as well. although the functionality (when only using it with the kemper) is more limited compared to getting instant status/visual feedback and other features that come with the remote, it suited my needs great for switching rigs and turning on and off stomps. i set it up so that the bottom row switched rigs and the top row were the stomps. i used the main cross pad to control volume (as a mute and to access tuner mode). it took me a little while to figure out how to program it so that the lights behaved the way i wanted them to (with the rig pads and the stomp pads behaving differently as needed), but the editing software was pretty painless. i downloaded an example set-up from the keith mcmillan web site, and that helped me get a bit of a starting point to figure how things worked.

i used their midi expander to run the softstep with the kemper without a laptop, and just kept it in the back slot of the kemper (i have the unpowered toaster version). i was also able to power it with the usb slot in the back of the kemper.

i'm sure - with all of the programability that's possible using the various pads - one could get very creative with it, but for me it was great to have something super-compact, lightweight, durable, connected to the kemper by a single cable, and accomplished the function of all that i would have needed from an fcb1010 and an uno chip (for example).

i am using the remote now, though. :) at some point i'll put the softstep 2 to use in some other capacity that hopefully uses a bit more of its potential...

• I'm using it pretty much the same as bugnog. SS2 is light, highly portable, and waterproof.

Also the ease of connectivity with the kemper. You can program it to do some cool things with the kemper.