Controlling KPA with FAS MFC-101?

• So, I'm looking at getting a KPA Power Rack and using it in my Axe-FX II's FX Loop, using my MFC-101 as the controller. Anyone else doing this? I assume I just need to run a MIDI cable from my AFX MIDI Thru into the KPA MIDI In? Is there any reason why a Kemper Remote is a better alternative (given that I want to continue utilising the FX and routing options in the AFX)?

• Hi mate, I'm not doing this specifically but I am controlling the KPA with my MFC without issue. If you run out of the midi thru into the KPA then it should be fine. Not sure how it would all work in AxeFX direct control mode though as I switch this off if using with KPA.

• Depends how you are going to be using it I guess. MFC will do a great job but you don't get patch names or tuner. Obviously if you're using the Axe as the primary device then this is not an issue.

Are you looking to use KPA for am tones only?

If so then it will be dead easy to set up. You can just assign a different kemper amp to each Axe patch. It's really easy to do. You could have the same amp in multiple patches as well if required without having to program the MFC.

• Yes, assigning KPA rigs to Axe presets is what I had in mind. However, I would also like to use at least some of the Kemper's FX. In fact, a preferable solution might be to use the Axe in the Kemper's FX loop rather than the other way around. I haven't fully assessed the pros and cons yet. I guess I won't know the best way of using it until I have a KPA in my hand. There are certain things I like about the Axe II's routing that the Kemper can't reproduce, such as being able to run an amp signal direct to output in parallel with a cab to get amazingly sparkly clean tones.

• Yes, assigning KPA rigs to Axe presets is what I had in mind. However, I would also like to use at least some of the Kemper's FX. In fact, a preferable solution might be to use the Axe in the Kemper's FX loop rather than the other way around. I haven't fully assessed the pros and cons yet. I guess I won't know the best way of using it until I have a KPA in my hand. There are certain things I like about the Axe II's routing that the Kemper can't reproduce, such as being able to run an amp signal direct to output in parallel with a cab to get amazingly sparkly clean tones.

You may find that you don't need to do tricks like this. There are some fantastic cleans in the Kemper. I just picked up my first M Britt pack (No.2) and the cleans are superb!

You looking to run FRFR or Amp/Cab?

• Really want to try and CLR but there doesn't seem to be many of the here in the UK :(

Sounds like you'll have the best of both worlds. I'm currently preferring FRFR with the KPA and amp/cab with the AxeFX.

• Are you using the Axe-FX for amp sounds much? This is where I'm finding frustration with the Fractal.

I tend to switch between them. Not had my second Kemper that long so still figuring out the best profiles for me. From testing this week I am currently thinking that the Kemper is slightly preferable for FRFR/Direct and Axe for Amp/Guitar Cab. I still don't think that the AxeFX with a Solidstate amp and guitar cab is quite "correct" though and you loose too much flexibility if you disable power amp sims and go into a tube poweramp.

I think the fact that the KPA has baked in amp/cab means that you are using a "Real" signal chain rather than adding an amp model to a cab model that are not related, I still think there might be something intrinsic between the amp/cab that is missing somewhere on the axefx.

To be fair I change my mind on these things far too often so will probably be back on the Axe next week :)

• I'm also planing to use both KPA and Axe FX 2. I did a test and used the Axe Fx 2 using the 4 cm so I can run the Axe Fx 2 pedals into the front end of the KPA and the Axe Fx 2 effects into the KPA effects loop. After some tweaking I got a great tone. I prefer the KPA amp profiles but I like the pedals and effects in the Axe Fx 2. My next step is to see how I can use my MFC101 to be able to use scenes and hopefully switch amps with the KPA Perhaps use both units to run 2 amps at the same time, if I don't get latency between the 2.

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• I m using the MFC as main controller (MFC to AXE XL FASLINK and from AXE XL Midi out to KPA Midi IN) but the assigned Rig in KPA don t switch consistently,they skip very often and if u press two times the program on the MFC in some RIGS of the KPA it recalls its stomps.... anyone with the same issue?thanx

• I m using the MFC as main controller (MFC to AXE XL FASLINK and from AXE XL Midi out to KPA Midi IN) but the assigned Rig in KPA don t switch consistently,they skip very often and if u press two times the program on the MFC in some RIGS of the KPA it recalls its stomps.... anyone with the same issue?thanx

I'm having the same issue.Although I haven't really worked on the MIDI side that much, I can seem to find were do I change the MIDI channel on the Kemper. I go to the system menu but I can't see it. One thing I like better about the Fractal stuff is that their manuals are much better than the Kemper! I'm liking the Kemper amps more than the Axe Fx 2, but when I first go it I was able to figure it out much quicker than the Kemper. The Kemper's manual is very vague and it doesn't give you as much details.

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• Are you aware that there are short manuals for each main operational way? Visit the main site and download what fits your needs :)

Thank you for your response. Yes I'm aware of it, and I downloaded every one I believe. I just can't find how to change the MIDI channel on the KPA. It tells you were it is but I don't see it.

• From the manual:

By default, the Profiler receives MIDI commands on all sixteen MIDI channels (“Omni”). However, if you want to control multiple devices independently, you can set a specific channel in the System menu on page “MIDI Settings”.
    Now, the Profiler will only receive messages on that particular channel.

Is this what you're asking for? In 3.3 is on page 16.

HTH

• I found it! I just didn't go further enough with the pages! Duh!! I did read that part but I was confused because I had to scroll deeper. Thanks